Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How close did the Redskins come to the playoffs???

Tom [Giants fan]

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I don't know if this is going to make you guys feel better but, if the Skins beat the Giants twice, they make the playoffs. Just wanted to show you guys that the Skins are not that far away.

I believe even in that scenario (two wins over the Giants), the Skins would have lost the final wildcard to the Saints on a 9-7 tiebreaker.

But if the Skins had swept the Giants *and* the Cowboys, finishing 10-6, we're in. We were just *that* close!

Originally posted by laurent

It took an awful lot of horrible officiating to get the Giants back into the playoffs, but in the end it all worked out great for the NFL and they got two teams representing the largest market.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, laurent. Did you actually watch the NY/Philly game? The Giants had two touchdowns taken away by holding calls that didn't happen.

It doesn't surprise me that we led the league in penalties, but I do wonder what percentage of them were legit. If I had to guess, I would say we led (especially, the first half of the year) the league in phantom calls and non calls. Tiki's fumble (sorry Tom) being the first to pop in my head, but we've had an amazing number of calls and non calls the season. Seemed to get better by years end, but still not great. There was an amazing block in the back miss that freed up a Dallas pr for a long gain. Missed? It was the first guy attacking the guy... two fists straight in the middle of the back knocking him down. Then there was the 12 man penalty which negated a touchdown and reversed possession which I am still blown away by. That penalty took a tremendous ammount of ingenouity to call. Has it ever been called before in the history of the NFL?

With parity and the recent re-alignment there are always going to be a lot of teams that "barely" missed the layoffs. That's OK, though, it should be like that. Makes for good drama.

I wouldn't put Washington in the "barely missed playoffs" group. We had to win our last two games to finish 7-9. Couldn't beat a bad Dallas team in November. Couldn't beat mediocre teams (Jacksonville, NY Giants the first time- they are playing better now and never really competed with the better teams we faced over the course of the season: GB, SF, Philly, NO-early).

The good news is that so much of what caused us to lose those games is fixable. But it DOES have to be fixed. Turnovers and penalties.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

I'm not sure what you're talking about, laurent. Did you actually watch the NY/Philly game? The Giants had two touchdowns taken away by holding calls that didn't happen.

Officiating Rule #1 is that if a D-lineman goes down and an O-line man is near, it's holding. True, on replay the calls were bad, but so was the non-call of pass interference in overtime that led to the Giants win. Now if only a certain pro bowl kicker had hit a 35 yarder with 1 minute to go...Oh well, Akers has hit a lot more than he's missed.

Overall, throughout the season, I think the bad calls even out. Green Bay won two games on bad officiating. Any way, it was a great final day of football for the regular season.

Congrats on beating the Cowboys.

Archived