Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense: 5th in the NFL!

MRMADD

We're #5 in the NFL, 13th against the run and 5th against the pass. That's pretty darn good. I think if we bring back this team next year, with some minor tweaks at DE, DT, and S, we're fine.

With the 13th pick in the draft, is there a star DE or DT we could take? I'd be happy with Wilfork (6'3 300 DT) or McDougle (6'3" 260 DE).

If not, I'd be thrilled if we got either Mike Doss (5'9" 200) or Troy Polamalu (5'10" 213) at strong safety. Polamalu is faster (legitimate 4.35) and a little bigger, but was more of a run defender in college. Mike is probably in the top 15 range, and Troy is probably in the top 25, so we'd probably trade down to get Troy.

We were 5th in the league based on yards per game but we were ranked 21st in points allowed.

I know all the points allowed weren't the defenses fault considering how many TD's were scored against special teams and on fumble/ints. returned for TD's . But take those out and I'm sure wer'e still not ranked that high.

I'd rather see us get a DE or DT. I think we have greater needs to fill with the #13 pick.

However, if we ended up with Polamalu, I wouldn't be upset. I've seen a good number of his games. He's a stud, and makes for a nasty safety in the Ronnie Lott mold.

Heh... I've been thinking about Polamalu in this defense too. I was hoping he'd fall into the 2nd, but prolly not. IMHO, unless we can get someone like Wilfork or Suggs, we trade down to the end of the first round for an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick, at which point we have enough picks to snag someone like Polamalu, Manuwai, and a 2nd round D-lineman.

6 TD's were scored against the Redskins that weren't the result of the defense.

1 Kick returned for a TD.

1 Punt returned for a TD.

2 Ints. returned for TDs.

1 Fumble returned for a TD.

1 Blocked punt returned for a TD.

Take those out and we averaged 20.1 points against the defense which is still not good.

The defense fattened up on two awful offensive teams to end the year. Against Houston we actually surrendered less, but played worse than against Dallas. Dallas was really the first game all year you just felt a total comfort during. That defense was dynamic.

The offense has to straighten up the mistakes and if we can limit them it'll be good for some victories. The defense needs to create more turnovers as well so it'll have to be a balance of the two.

The cornerstone of all defenses is the right DE. I'm convinced that is where we should draft and where we will draft. FS is definetely a need but shouldn't take precedence over either the D-line or O-Line in this draft. We've just got so many holes to fill and so few opportunities to make a real impact. Every pick has to count this time if we are to be competitive next season.

Art:

The defense fattened up on two awful offensive teams to end the year.

That's not fair -- if our season had gone exactly the same way, but we'd played those two teams in the first and second games of the season instead of the last two, we'd have seen a drop in the rankings at the end of the year.

It doesn't matter who we played first or last. Overall, we were fifth in yards allowed. That's good.

Nighthawk:

We were 5th in the league based on yards per game but we were ranked 21st in points allowed.

If you're fifth in the league in yards allowed, but 21st in the league in points allowed, it means that opposing offenses didn't have to travel very far to score. That means your offense and special teams gave up terrible field position. Not exactly the defense's fault.

And you can't just take out the TDs against the offense or special teams -- you have to consider field position and time of possession. If you consider those, it's amazing that we're fifth. Think about this:

The top five defenses:

1. TB was also #1 in points allowed (#24 offense)

2. Carolina was #5 in points allowed (#31 offense)

3. Miami was #4 in points allowed (#15 offense)

4. Philly was #2 in points allowed (#11 offense)

5. Washington was #21 in points allowed (#20 offense)

So you might ask, why are all the other top defenses also the best in points allowed, but not the Skins. Here's why: we're #29 in takeaways/giveaways. You just can't turn the ball over that much and win.

So some of the other top defenses also had lousy offenses (like Tampa Bay, worse than ours), but their offenses didn't turn the ball over (TB was #2 in takeaway/giveaway). In the end, TB's offense played worse than ours but held onto the ball. They're going to the playoffs. We're not.

Madd,

What's not fair about it?

We essentially improved about 20 yards or so a game in yards allowed in the final two weeks. That's great, but, as I wrote when we shot up to No. 6 overall, this was not a Top 6 defense. It's not a Top 5 defense either. It's a defense that left a lot to be desired and while in the end we'll be able to point to the numbers and say, "Hey, that's not so bad," because it's not so bad, the fact is, this defense could have been substantially greater and SHOULD have been substantially better.

I'd like to believe what we saw was a sign of things to come, but, unlike the offense which has been a Top 6 offense over the last six weeks despite playing tough defenses over that time, the defense doesn't exactly feel so much like it's getting better as perhaps our competition hasn't been quite as good. That said, if we play every game with the urgency and aggressiveness of the Dallas game, we'd be a Top 5 defense too, and we'd just feel stronger on the way to it than we did this year I think.

the defense basically produced two seasons, the first half of the season where there were penalties and blown assignments in each game that cost us. players grumbling and coaches backhanding guys in the media.

then you have the last 6-8 games, where the defense really shut things down (other than the Emmitt game on Turkey Day) and despite the loss of some key players to injury continued to get BETTER.

Arrington grumbled and yet finished with 11 sacks and 100 tackles.

If this defense is not his cup of tea, I shudder to think what he would do in a scheme where he really was enjoying himself :)

We essentially improved about 20 yards or so a game in yards allowed in the final two weeks. That's great, but, as I wrote when we shot up to No. 6 overall, this was not a Top 6 defense. It's not a Top 5 defense either.

Yes, it is. We gave up the fifth-fewest number of yards this year. We're number five. Hurray.

I think the problem you're really addressing is that we played well against lousy opponents, and got skunked by good ones like Philly and GB. That's true. Early in the year we were plagued by confusion at the line, blown coverages, missed tackles, etc., but we seem to have that behind us.

I think this defense could truly be spectacular if complemented by an offense that can hold onto the ball and control the clock a little. Next year, with improvements on the offense (new guards, WRs, more experience for Ramsey), the defense will be free to attack. That's gonna be fun to watch.

The big difference in the Texas and Dallas games is that we were playing with the lead for a change. Normally, our offense dug a hole so early that we were constantly playing from behind. With the lead, the defense was looser and just looked better. Next year we'll see if they can hang with the big dogs.

don't let the #5 ranking fool you.

we have a LOT of work to do on defense in the offseason.

1. Resign Gardener.

2. Replace Wilkinson if he is cut for cap reasons

3. Find an athletic DE to platoon with Smith at RDE

4. Find a backup MLB because Trotter may not be ready by minicamps or even the start of training camp

5. Find a capable free safety

6. Develop some depth at cornerback

each of these activities does not require a #1 pick, but cumulatively it is a pretty good to do list for the FO

Madd,

We weren't skunked at all by Green Bay. The Packers game was probably the second best game the defense played all season. It didn't work out because the offense bonked.

You wrote, "Early in the year we were plagued by confusion at the line, blown coverages, missed tackles, etc., but we seem to have that behind us."

That's not at all true. Two weeks ago Lavar was talking about how the defense was regressing. We were going through a bad patch where we looked like we'd begun to level off and then fall back. The last two weeks have straightened that up, but, prior to the last two weeks we had a bad patch of football.

"I think this defense could truly be spectacular if complemented by an offense that can hold onto the ball and control the clock a little."

I think the offense could truly be spectacular if balanced by a defense that got some turnovers and could make efficient stops on long yardage against mildly competent teams. Again, we fattened up on this the last couple of weeks giving up 3 third down coversions in 25 attempts or something, but, again, it works both ways.

The offense HAS to do a better job of protecting the ball and the defense. The defense has to do a better job of stopping all of the opposition, not just the weak sisters of the poor and creating turnovers to help the offense. The defense wasn't as good as it should have been and the defense wasn't what it was in the last week of the season until the last week of the season.

The offense was probably better than it should have been, and yet worse at protecting the ball throughout and especially late. But, here's what you may be missing. The offense was it's usual dumb self against Dallas. We had turnover after turnover after turnover and put the defense in bad situations by turning it over, and yet the defense couldn't have looked better.

See, no matter what the offense does, the defense can be good. That's what the defense is supposed to do. If we need a perfect offense to make the defense terrific, then we're in trouble. The Bucs don't need a perfect offense to make the defense look good. It's how you play. It's whether you play to take something away or get taken to.

If Lewis let the defense do what it did against Dallas all year no one here would complain. Obviously we can play that style. That shouldn't have been a final week unveiling.

If Lewis let the defense do what it did against Dallas all year no one here would complain. Obviously we can play that style. That shouldn't have been a final week unveiling.

I dont think Lewis changed anything fundamentally. He ran the same defense, the exception was everyone played with more heart and the opposing team couldnt compesate well.

Its rediculous to assume ML played one scheme for 15 weeks and then on the last game of the season he threw his hands in the air and "let the team play the way they wanted." why dont you assume that this is how they are supposed to play every week under a Lewis defense. Lewis called the game essentially the same way hes always called it. I didnt notice any differences and I doubt if anyone on this board is able to appreciate the nuances of an NFL defense well enough to distinguish any new wrinkles.

Ranked number five even though our offense and special teams essentially sucked and the defense carried this team for half the season. Take away those first few adjustment games and Ill bet we'd be in the top three defenses. (maybe next year if we dont have a new DC)

I'm willing to give credit where its due.

Storm,

It's not rocket science my friend. We were in a completely different mode of operation. Obviously the plays we were running were within the scheme. But, do you remember against the Niners when they just stuffed it down our throat and how we never had eight guys up to stop it? This game we rarely had fewer than eight visible on the screen. We were constantly playing single safety.

We were constantly attacking the backfield by letting the defensive line blow through gaps rather than playing those gaps. If you don't believe we did anything differently, then quickly alter that perception because we did EVERYTHING differently. As the players said, we were selling out to stop the run. We TOOK something away from the opposition.

That's what you want your defense to do. Generally we don't do that. Generally we play a more passive, reactive scheme. In this game we played an attacking, strong scheme which was based on doing everything in the world to take away a key aspect of the opposition's system.

We took their strength and they couldn't beat us with their weakness. It's the first time ALL season we took away the opponent's strength by design and playcalling. It's the first time you've heard the players talk about playing in such a way as to sell out to stop anything.

That's a fundamental change. We don't sell out to stop anything. We react to the opposition and play our defined roles and we don't sell out because that means we aren't doing our jobs. Against the Cowboys we were just blowing into the backfield and it was by design and playcalling that allowed it. That was as fundamentally different a defense from anything we've seen on any consistent basis for 15 weeks that you'll find.

How you can't recognize that is astounding.

let's be honest here for a moment.

there was a HUGE mismatch up front in this game.

The Redskins had one monster tackle in Gardener going up against Ross Tucker (who couldn't make it in Washington as the #4 guard) and a rookie center who has had a problematic season by his own coaches' admission.

That mismatch was multiplied by the fact the Cowboys had Javier Collins out at left tackle. Arrington and the other rushers ran circles around him.

Bruce meanwhile worked the give and go with Gardener to abuse the Cowboys young line in the second half for hurries and sacks.

And in the run game it was even worse.

Kevin Mitchell at 255 was able to stand up the Cowboys GUARDS and make the tackle on Emmitt's inside rushes.

Gardener blew up three or four plays for negative yardage.

This game should have been won 35-7 by the Redskins, and that is not being a homer, but looking at the disparity of talent and purpose between the two teams.

The Redskins were the better team, playing at home in an emotional game for Darrell.

That's why Spurrier wasn't all choked up about the 20-14 win.

He knew we let the Cowboys off easy in this one.

The stats don't lie. This game was close on the scoreboard only, and even then just at the end.

352 yards to 180.

38 rushing yards for the Cowboys.

Dallas only crossed midfield twice on offense during the game and one of those drives was at the end of regulation.

No, this was in some regards an opportunity lost.

Art:

I think the offense could truly be spectacular if balanced by a defense that got some turnovers and could make efficient stops on long yardage against mildly competent teams.

This offense? Our offense? Are you kidding? Did you see all the dropped balls yesterday? The fumbles? The offense tried to give the game away -- and that wasn't even a "mildly" competent team we were playing.

Look, the defense has all of the parts. Yes, we need some help in the pass rush and at safety, but we're a credible defense today. You can argue that we're not worthy of our top 5 ranking, but you can't argue that we're not well above average. We are.

But our offense... our offense is not good. Yes, Ramsey is coming along nicely, and our two RBs have feasted on the defenses in the past two weeks, but come on! Our wide receivers drop balls that bounce off their chests. Our running backs get stripped as they step into the end zone.

We need, and will get, wholesale changes on offense. Expect at least one new QB. Davis is gone. At WR, I expect to see at least three guys leave. At OG, I wouldn't be surprised if only one of them stayed. The offense is too slow and too sloppy to play Spurrier ball. They really are among the worst in the league.

Let me read a few stats to you: in total yards, we're 21st. In fumbles lost, we're WORST IN THE LEAGUE. That's right: our offense fumbles the ball away more than any other team in the NFL. Hell, we fumbled away 20 times -- the friggin' Houston Texans only fumbled it away 14 times, and their QB was sacked 76 times!

In points per game, we're 21st. Art, this offense is not going to be spectacular even if you give them the best defense in the league. Hell, they've got the fifth-best and they truly stink.

And don't get me started on our special teams...

I agree that the defense played better because the offense was doing better. Specifically, I think the D played better because Ramsey was the QB and the defense had more confidence in him than the other two. And his performance over the past month vindicated their confidence in him (could be a chicken/egg thing here ...)

There were many post-game comments by the defensive players over the past month praising Ramsey (Smoot, Smith) as a team leader. If your D is behind your QB its a win/win for both the offense and the defense.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

Let's all just get along and say that the "D" stepped up for the sake of Darrell. Whatever the reason, I could really care less about analyzing games gone by. I am more concerned with finding out what will work in the FUTURE!!!!

Madd,

Our receivers have done an exceptional job of catching balls this year. Over the last six weeks our offensive production lines up in the Top 6 in the league. The defense, absolutely, is a credible unit. It should be a dominating unit. It should have been playing as it did against Dallas all year where it STILL made mistakes but was so aggressive it altered the feel of the game.

In terms of changes on the offensive side versus changes on the defensive side, I believe there'll be more alterations to the defense than the offense in terms of bringing in players outside the organization to fill openings. Not that that means anything, but you seem to think the offense requires wholesale changes and, well, that's not probably going to be accurate.

The offense and the defense will largely go without wholesale changes because this team doesn't need that. It needs time to iron out the correctable mistakes on both sides of the ball. Spurriers offense averaged 367.5 yards per game over the final six games with Wuerffel and Ramsey back in running things.

It's not hardly among the worst right now. Right now, it's among the most productive offenses in the league. The mistakes it makes are not schematic so much as fundamental, which are correctable. The mistakes the defense makes are largely schematic, not fundamental, which are harder to correct. If we play 16 games like we finished against Dallas this defense would be remarkable. If we play 16 games as we played the final six on offense, we'd be highly ranked and too self destructive, so we NEED to correct that aspect of things. No doubt about it.

But, recognize what we have done and where we are now.

Archived