Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

one worry

fansince62

at the game yesterday....betts broke out into the open field and should have scored a td. it was very evident that he did not have the speed for long, open-field runs. this is a limitation that does not augur well if the SOS system is not structured for a power running game (where betts appears to excel - 20 yards and shorter).

I don't know Al.

Betts had more than one run over 20 yesterday and for the season. On the run he was caught from behind he had to break through a tackle and then regain top speed. The defender was in top speed and was able to catch up. I honestly don't know what Betts speed is. He's had a 62-yard reception this year. He appears very fast on the field but he wasn't timed very fast. I think he has the speed right now. I'd worry more after he takes a few licks to see how much he loses.

art.....I may be wrong coming to a conclusion based on one play. I had a good view of the play and he had lanes and a wide open field run on. the defense collapsed on him so quickly that it just leaped into my mind...."wow...what the *ell just happened here!!! he should have scored on that play." I like how he falls forward. he has good power and seems to see the holes well. he will not be a break-away runner, howvere.

If you look at the replay, I think Betts had to jump a defender and Redskin blocker so he lost alot of momentum. I think he had the speed to score had he been unabated. We still haven't seen enough of either Betts or Watson to know what we truly have, but I think it's safe to say we have two potential backs that can be productive in this offense.

I think fans point is somewhat valid. But the defense didn't really converge on him. He has faster straight line speed than ecuban and ecuban made a great play and betts made a rookie mistake. Had ecuban not caused a fumble, Betts would have been able to run for quite aways before anyone brought him down.

But he's not one of the fastest backs. He is faster than davis though, and he has some nice moves side to side as well.

-DB

Ding Bufford.

And, Al, I'm not dismissing what you're saying because how fast Betts is is a point of debate. He's not supposed to be fast from what we're told, but, he does look fast. On that touchdown though, he wasn't wide open. When you watch the replay you'll see he was actually rolling over and through a defender and had to retain his speed while the pursuit was already going balls out.

actually....I am referring to a different play, not the fumble. I can't recall exactly when it occurred, although it was in the same area of the field. he broke open and there was no one around - the d still caught up. he didn't have that darting quickness/acceleration in the open field when there is only one DB between him and the goal-line that one would hope for. but as i said, just one play.

The play you may be talking about is the other big run he had where Williams had an angle and caught him. Williams is faster than Betts and should catch him when he's already 10-yards back. Betts tried to juke him and then went down. I'm not sure whether he'll be a big run threat or not. I do know I'm very happy with where we are right now with him and if he continues to grow as a player we'll be alright.

Betts has quickness but not great top line speed.

He accelerates well through the hole and is a very good receiver out of the backfield.

He also showed some toughness inside against Houston and Dallas, something you don't get with 190 pound scatbacks :)

The Redskins don't need a player with 4.3 speed in the backfield. Some runners like Terry Allen had less speed and quickness and still were consistent 1,000 yard producers.

What happened yesterday is that Betts, as a rookie, was already relaxing BEFORE he crossed the goal line.

He was slowing down as he crossed the five, not because he was winded but because as he admitted later he didn't think there was anyone close to him :)

Archived