Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UPDATE: Scouting Miami Dolphins Training Camp (Opponent in Season Opener)

onnie007

I couldn't make it back home this summer to the DC area so I figured I'd go check out what we were up against in the season opener. And good news.....:phinsuck: !!! :laugh:

1. Trent Green looked very unimpressive. He had the most INTs among the QBs in both 7-on-7 and 11-on-11. And it appears that his 14 years in the league is starting to catch up to him. He was not nearly as quick in his drops as the other QBs in Cleo Lemon and 2nd Round pick John Beck. And his arm is not all that strong. All three did not have a great day and made the young inexperience Dolphin Secondary appear really good.

2. Just as we have a project in Todd Wade at OG, the Dolphins have one at a more critical position. They have this guy Vernon Carey who they are moving from RT to LT this year and praying that he pans out. He looked decent against speed rushes to the outside but got beat often to the inside and does not look very confident in what he is doing. IMO, he is not ready to start at LT in the NFL and hopefully Daniels & Co. will be able to exploit this.

3. Ronnie Brown and Lorenzo Booker are the real deal. Ronnie Brown runs well and Lorenzo Booker is dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield. Booker appeared to be running a clinic in one-on-one drills today. He juked Channing Crowder out of his shoes and on the next time up beat Zach Thomas on a seam route down the hash marks. We will need to contain these two but I feel that if we are successful against the run then there may be plenty of opportunities for turnovers in the passing game.

4.Ted Ginn, Jr. The kid is fast, has decent hands, doesn't like contact and will primarily be used as a slot WR if he makes it onto the field on offense. But when I see his 5'11 178lb frame run around the field gracefully like a gazelle, I can't help picturing LL or ST destroying this kid. He is very skinny and I can't see him getting up from one of ST's shots. I can easily see this kid having alligator arms like Todd Pinkston of the Eagles had whenever he was on the same field as ST.

Overall, the Dolphins are relying on a lot of young players, have a project at LT and a fragile old Brunell-type starting for them in Trent Green. The defense is solid upfront and the LBs are solid but their Secondary is young and still trying to find themselves. I will be very upset if we don't go into week 2 1-0. I may go back for another practice next week and I'll post again if I see anything interesting.:phinsuck: :phinsuck: :phinsuck:

EDIT (8/4): Hey guys, I went out there again yesterday. The good news is that not a lot has changed with lackluster Dolphin performances from last week. Trent Green still threw his share of INTs. Dolphins cornerback Jason Allen has been a huge disappointment and is barely getting any reps with the second team defense....and he's healthy. Jason Allen was their 2006 first round draft choice (16th overall) out of Tennessee and he signed a six-year contract last year, 9 million guaranteed. And the 2007 first round draft choice, Ted Ginn Jr., (9th overall) is also proving to be disappointing from an offense standpoint. He is being used as a slot WR and is pretty much the fan favorite but he was the result of quite a few LOUD sighs by the Dolphin faithful. Yesterday, I witnessed Ginn Jr. drop 4 out of 4 passes thrown to him in 11-on-11s. The first one was a touchdown pass that hit him in the hands and the second one was on a post route that he dropped after it hit him in the hands yet again. After that all you had to do was listen and you could tell when Ginn Jr. had dropped yet another pass. It looks like Ginn Jr. will only see the field as a return man unless he proves he has hands. The LT Vernon Carey I mentioned last week looked like he has improved quite a bit but I still feel the battle between himself and the Redskin DL should be watched in the opener. Their second round pick, John Beck, look pretty good in 11-on-11s. But the good news is that the struggling Trent Green will be the opening day starter. And our secondary is better and more experienced than the the Dolphins group. I'm predicting a INT by SMOOOOT much like the one he had yesterday in the Ravens Scrimmage against McNair. There is no reason why we can't get to a fast start this year. I feel like we will be our own worst enemy and not the opponent so lets see how well we do in the preseason games. Here's to a great season. HTTR!:logo:

good to hear. We need more spies in our opponent's camps ;)

Yeah, I couldn't really call it spying cause I was all decked out from head to toe in Redskin gear. But get this......Not a word was said. :paranoid: I think they know whats coming. :ahhhhh: :D However, some guy with a Jets jersey on got it pretty bad.

I am going to go to check out the Dolphins practice this week, I live about 30 minutes away from their traning camp. The papers down here today seem though really pumped about the Dolphins season. Similar drill to the Redskins in that they are saying they didn't play up to their potential last season, people aren't taking them seriously, but just you wait, etc.

They are saying Cameron is instilling more discipline and team spirit and a new offense to boot that they think will work with an accurate QB -- the Herald implied today that Green is looking good in practice and he has a new speedy weapon in Ginn.

I think we can and will beat these guys but I am not ****y, you never know. Vikings last season similar drill, new coach, veteran accurate QB, they came in with low expectations and beat us.

The papers down here today seem though really pumped about the Dolphins season. Similar drill to the Redskins in that they are saying they didn't play up to their potential last season, people aren't taking them seriously, but just you wait, etc.
That's the great thing about this kind of year. Every team thinks they're going to the playoffs.:cool:

Hell, Kitna thinks the Lions are going to win 10 or more games this year. Who knows...

Hey Mods- I know the extreme spy feature is in the ATN, but it doesn't seem to be active. Anyway we can get that going again so we can put stuff like this in there and have a place to check it?

I think the schedule in there is last years as well. I know you all are hard at work and if you need help, I am available. Not trying to create more work for you, just thought it would be good to check this kind of info out.

That's the great thing about this kind of year. Every team thinks they're going to the playoffs.:cool:

Hell, Kitna thinks the Lions are going to win 10 or more games this year. Who knows...

Yeah, agree and you can make it sound good too that's the scary part. For the Dolphins they of late like us (except for last season) have had great defenses they feel they will get there and be what they called today a "championship" level defense that has been upgraded with Porter. The paper reported that they haven't see such accuracy from a QB in a long time ala what they are seeing from Green in camp.

They are saying Green shouldn't take long to adjust since he has worked with Cameron before and their offense should be juiced since Cameron is supposedly an offensive wiz, they have a good young RB in Ronnie Brown, and decent receivers with Chambers and Ginn.

Yeah reading the papers in South Florida you don't get the feeling that the Skins are going to walk all over these guys in the opener. I think and hope we will, though.

Right now, I do not know what to expect from the Dolphins. They have a new coach and system there, so anything can happen.

I remember people here thinking we would steam role over the Vikings last year. I was one of them. But, look what happened. Lets keep ourselves tempered and take each game as a quality opponent.

I am going to go to check out the Dolphins practice this week, I live about 30 minutes away from their traning camp. The papers down here today seem though really pumped about the Dolphins season. Similar drill to the Redskins in that they are saying they didn't play up to their potential last season, people aren't taking them seriously, but just you wait, etc.

They are saying Cameron is instilling more discipline and team spirit and a new offense to boot that they think will work with an accurate QB -- the Herald implied today that Green is looking good in practice and he has a new speedy weapon in Ginn.

I think we can and will beat these guys but I am not ****y, you never know. Vikings last season similar drill, new coach, veteran accurate QB, they came in with low expectations and beat us.

Yeah, I couldn't really call it spying cause I was all decked out from head to toe in Redskin gear. But get this......Not a word was said. :paranoid: I think they know whats coming. :ahhhhh: :D However, some guy with a Jets jersey on got it pretty bad.

When are you guys heading out? I need to show off my new Campbell jersey and was thinking of going out for a few practices and pre-season games.

We need to have a Skins section going at practices....

When are you guys heading out? I need to show off my new Campbell jersey and was thinking of going out for a few practices and pre-season games.

We need to have a Skins section going at practices....

I'm kinda busy during the week but I think I will go next Saturday. They will have a 3:30 practice in the afternoon. I am always in my Moss jersey with my Safari team hat. Let me know.

either that, or they don't consider us a real threat ;)

Perhaps....I just don't think like that. I feel like if someone comes in your house, you should let them know where they are. I felt at home there. :laugh: It reminded me of the away game I went to two years ago in Arizona when we took over the stadium/city. I remember after that game Gibbs said he was confused cause usually on the road when you hear people cheering something bad happened but in this case it was really because there were so many Redskin fans there and we turned the road game into a home game. I mean show some pride and let opposing fans know that this is your house for crying out loud.

ok...I need to stop taking drugs...wasnt this thread moved?:paranoid:

That being said..lets remember that everyone is in their first few days of camp.:2cents: :logo:

Oh I know. Just thought it was important to note that they have a first time starter at LT to protect a veteran QB with a concussion history and who happens to be learning a new offense in his 14th year in the NFL. Sounds advantageous to the SKINS to me. :2cents:

Overall, the Dolphins are relying on a lot of young players, have a project at LT and a fragile old Brunell-type starting for them in Trent Green. The defense is solid upfront and the LBs are solid but their Secondary is young and still trying to find themselves. I will be very upset if we don't go into week 2 1-0. I may go back for another practice next week and I'll post again if I see anything interesting.
ok...I need to stop taking drugs...wasnt this thread moved?:paranoid:

That being said..lets remember that everyone is in their first few days of camp.:2cents: :logo:

Give us an update closer to the start of the season/pre-season. It's just too early to tell. Green was pretty good before the concussion.:2cents:

Perhaps....I just don't think like that...

...I mean show some pride and let opposing fans know that this is your house for crying out loud.

Its not a question of pride for me. I flaunt the fact that I'm a skins fan. However, being a displaced skinsfan - and in the military with a bunch of people from a whole mix of backgrounds - I hear every other teams' fans' view on us. We really are flying under the radar, with a few exceptions of "they might be a sleeper". Down here its all Saints and Falcons. Even our resident Browns fan is excited. We banter back and forth about our teams strengths and weaknesses, who we've signed or who we've lost. Wether or not Vick is going to prison and will the Falcons still be a "fun team to watch." (direct quote there :laugh: ) There's a huge variety of opinions floating around down here, but one of the common themes to all of them is that we're a 5-11 team with an unproven QB and a bad defense. We're the welcome mats of the NFL and fodder for the rest of the NFC east. No fan of another team is truly scared of us.

...and I'm loving every minute of it. :helmet:

:cheers:

Archived