Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art's excellent adventure -- the perfect offseason.

Art

Here is what I would pray we could accomplish this offseason. In order:

1. Marvin Lewis beams as he takes over the Cincinnati Bengals. He speaks highly of the Ravens and Redskins and thanks both teams for preparing him for the next step he's now ready for.

2. Redskins name George Edwards or Ricky Hunley (young, hungry, no-name) as the defensive coordinator.

3. Free agency starts and Redskins step in immediately signing Mo Collins at offensive guard.

4. Collins signing allows cut of Brenden Stai and Skins bring back Tre Johnson.

5. Redskins lose the Peerless Price auction to the Rams and settle on Ike Hilliard for receiver.

6. Missing out on Price leads team to resign Derrius Thompson.

7. Welcome William Joseph in the first round of the draft.

8. Surprisingly, Terrell Suggs falls to the second round, and the Redskins pounce.

9. Will be too happy to even notice the rest of the draft.

10. Redskins restructure Smith but have to get rid of Wilky.

That's it :).

I only want Bruce as a situational Pass Rusher.

Joseph has had a down year and your dream 1-2 punch of Suggs/McDougal is more likely to be reversed if lightning strikes the $hithouse and we get both. Suggs in round 1, Joseph in 2.

The rest looks fine to me. Art, would you sell your soul to make this happen?

:laugh:

RT,

You're right on the Bruce, but, I'm considering more than next year. I'd like him to be forced to give back a couple of millions so when he is done, we don't keep paying him forever. That's why it's a dream offseason.

As for Hilliard, he's going to come pretty cheap. He's already going to know the offense. And he has shown a capacity to be a second receiver with some consistency in terms of threatening a defense. He'd be further along than Price just knowing the offense and being more naturally suited for his role. I think we need a legitimate consistent No. 2 -- which could be Thompson too -- which expands our depth at the position to three solid players -- we don't probably have that quite yet -- more than Price.

I don't love Hilliard, but, he's shown some ability to play and perform and he'd help us, I believe, sufficiently without breaking the bank.

Not to take your thread in another direction, Art......... but does this mean that as of today you are happy with Patrick Ramsey, Kenny Watson and/or Ladell Betts as starters next year?

as for me........ I hope Ramsey is the man for the job, but I also hope the Redskins bring in a Steve Bueurlein (sp?) kind of veteran backup to compete (and hopefully beat out) Danny Wuerffel. I am sorry, I really like Danny, but the thought of him starting again for us if Patrick gets hurt makes my tummy hurt.

as to the running back position, I will feel a lot better about Watson and Betts being the 1 and 2 backs after Dallas this week....... assuming they look good again. I can't help but think coach Spurrier will want to bring in another feature back unless Watson and Betts really impress again this weekend.

Candy,

I think we're where we're going to be at QB. We might do something at running back, but, in total, I think what you see is what you are going to get. You have guys that can do a little damage when things are right and though I doubt, as you may, that they can carry a team in a grind it out sort of fashion, I doubt we're a team that is going to be attempting to win that type of game all that frequently anyway.

Wuerffel showed me he can be a more than capable, and in fact, downright productive backup. If he plays the ache that once accompanied his appearance has been removed due to just how well he showed he could play when he was in there for us. I do not want Wuerffel starting over a long term if it can be helped. But, I don't think there is a better guy for a few games if injury presents itself.

I don't believe a veteran QB makes any sense. I saw a post by someone who said a "young" QB would make Ramsey look over his shoulder. Well, what about a QB who actually has shown he knows how to play in the league? What would that do? Wuerffel isn't a threat. That's as veteran as you need? I like threats and wouldn't care if it was a vet or a youngster, but, I'm more than comfortable with Wuerffel in a backup position given his performance as our starter.

I can live with that reasoning, Art........ but my tummy may need the Rolaids fix that an offseason of perspective can hopefully bring. I can see how Danny Wuerffel might be the best option for a game or two here and there, but the thought of losing Patrick Ramsey to an ACL injury in the second game of the year still has me thinking about antacids. :)

You guys do know Mo Collins is a Gator as well as Ike? I thought everyone was ready to end the Gator experiment. :D

Seriously though, I think we need to address the backup QB situation. DW hasn't shown he can handle staying healthy long enough to be a viable #2. What good is your #2 guy if he can only last a few quarters? I'd love to have a young gun to push Ramsey, plus a vet that can hold up (DW hasn't really shown that he can).

Brown,

Yeah, I'm comfortable in Wuerffel leading us. There's no way he can stay healthy a whole season, so, if we lost two QBs, then we're pretty much toast anyway. You can't be three deep at every position. Wuerffel is good enough to keep us on target for a four-week absence or so for Ramsey. Anything more than that and we're in trouble anyway.

But, I don't suspect we're a playoff team next year anyway unless Ramsey is the absolute BOMB. It certainly could happen, but, my guess is we are an improved team and perhaps we sneak into the playoffs if things fall right, but, Ramsey is going to have a learning curve we'll have to tolerate and survive and next year is probably the year we'll have to do that.

Archived