Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier On Ramsey

bulldog

for all those pining for Leftwich or a signing of Jake Plummer (from today's WP):

But the biggest piece may be already in place, with Spurrier saying he is comfortable with Ramsey as his quarterback.

"He's definitely a guy we can build with," Spurrier said. "Definitely."

"He can take the steps and throw it in there as well as anybody. It's just getting in the habit of being fundamentally sound. That's an area where he can really improve. He's got all the talent. He's got courage. He's got smarts, and he can throw the ball. He can make all the throws. Now it's a matter of getting it all together."

Originally posted by bulldog

for all those pining for Leftwich or a signing of Jake Plummer (from today's WP):

But the biggest piece may be already in place, with Spurrier saying he is comfortable with Ramsey as his quarterback.

"He's definitely a guy we can build with," Spurrier said. "Definitely."

Even before I read this I thought anyone who advocated drafting a QB with a high draft choice or bringing in Jake Plummer was nuts. How can you expect more out of a rookie QB than what Patrick has done? I think he has a chance to be a star, and will at least make it to that Phil Simms "semi-star" level.

it's funny you bring up Simms because when I see him out there in that #11 uniform, Phil was the first qb I thought of :laugh:

Ramsey appears to have the same intensity and physical courage that Simms did and that is something that gets respect from teammates.

You can notice an almost instantaneous rise in the level of play of the entire team in the Giants game when he came in to replace Wuerffel.

You could see flashes of that same confidence in the second half aborted comeback against the Eagles.

No, I think when you look at some of the younger players we have had at qb in the past, guys like Shuler and Frerotte, that seemed to be 'deer in the headlights' when facing the speed of NFL defenses, Ramsey is a rare ruby.

He has the presence of a guy who has been out there for 3 or 4 years. And that is not common in a rookie :)

you know what would really give this team a boost?

If Tre Johnson is able to come back healthy and in shape in 2003 and give the team the kind of play at guard that he did in 1999. That is asking a lot of a 31 year old player who has suffered as many injuries as Tre has, but against the Texans when you see some of the isolated plays he made in that game just creaming defensive players in the run game, you just have to smile :)

Kim Helton has had nothing but good things to say about Johnson since he was signed, from his work ethic to how he has helped the other linemen with their technique. It's just a shame he didn't get the call for so many weeks he wasn't in game shape when he came back.

Given Tre's history and his coming back to the team in 2002, I think he will want to stay here if we offer him a decent, but not large, contract for 2003.

And if he is able to come back and approximate the player he was for us in previous seasons, he will be a better guard for us than just about anyone that hits the free agent market in the offseason :)

that was my point, that he had been on the shelf for 8-10 weeks and was out of football shape.

Helton indicated that in practice they began to see more each week of what kind of player Johnson is capable of being, and they were committed to bringing him along slowly to ensure he didn't get hurt again.

One would have to think with only one game left in 2002, that part of that thinking was to bring him back in 2003.

Originally posted by bulldog

that was my point, that he had been on the shelf for 8-10 weeks and was out of football shape.

Helton indicated that in practice they began to see more each week of what kind of player Johnson is capable of being, and they were committed to bringing him along slowly to ensure he didn't get hurt again.

One would have to think with only one game left in 2002, that part of that thinking was to bring him back in 2003.

I agree Bulldog, why invest all that time an dwork in him and let him go after starting 2 games. I believe he will be back next season, question is will Stai be back or will he cost too much to release?

Man, I would love to see what Ramsey could do with the hogs in front of him. He has put up solid stats everytime he played, with the exception of the 4 ints against the Ain'ts. I'd say we solidify the line, get some decent guards in there. Moore hasn't played too bad, so I don't see a large rush to get rid of him. I'd like to see Tre stay around. He's not the dominant guard he was the 1st time around, but he's a servicable back-up. I think if Ramsey can sit back there comfortably, he can make some things happen.

Archived