Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network's Top 10 Most Versatile Players

flexxskins

Sammy Baugh was ridiculous. Played both QB and defense, would kick, punt, return...he could do everything. Did some of the video whizzes on ES make any videos on Slingin' Sammy?

He doesn't even belong on the same list as those other guys.

From Wikipedia:

Baugh stayed with Washington through the 1952 season, playing for 16 seasons, a record at that time. He led the NFL in passing six times, punting average four times, and interceptions once. He is the only player to lead the league in an offensive, defensive, and special teams category.

"Slingin' Sammy" was the finest punter of his time, leading the NFL for four consecutive seasons from 1940-1943. His 45.1 career punting average is still the second best in NFL history. His single season punting average of 51.4, a record set in 1940, still stands. He held most of the league passing records at the time of his retirement although they have all since been broken.

His career ledger shows 1695 completions on 2995 attempts. He threw for 21,886 yards and 187 touchdowns. Baugh rushed for 9 touchdowns. He also had at least 12 interceptions, including 4 in one game, still tied for the NFL record.

Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman (of the Bears) are the only two early NFL quarterbacks for which the present-day NFL passer rating can be applied.

Baugh starred in several movies, including "King of the Texas Rangers".

And this was after he was a pro St. Louis baseball player. After he retired from the Skins, he became a college coach.

I don't think anybody will ever touch this guy.

How is ARE not on that list....

Give him time and after he retires he will probably be on a future "Top Versatile Players" list......

As far as Deion goes, his segment was the only one on the show that I caught. I don't like how he ditched the team but then again I think Snyder was stupid for giving him such a big bonus and not putting a no-baseball clause in the contract. I also think us having Larry Centers was as much a part of making B-Mitch dispensable in Snyder's eyes as Deion was. Its too bad we acquired Deion after he had the bad wheel because he was pretty awesome in his prime. I think people tend to hang too much undeserved blame on Deion and Jeff George for the meltdown during the second half of the 2000 season.

He doesn't even belong on the same list as those other guys.

From Wikipedia:

Baugh stayed with Washington through the 1952 season, playing for 16 seasons, a record at that time. He led the NFL in passing six times, punting average four times, and interceptions once. He is the only player to lead the league in an offensive, defensive, and special teams category.

"Slingin' Sammy" was the finest punter of his time, leading the NFL for four consecutive seasons from 1940-1943. His 45.1 career punting average is still the second best in NFL history. His single season punting average of 51.4, a record set in 1940, still stands. He held most of the league passing records at the time of his retirement although they have all since been broken.

His career ledger shows 1695 completions on 2995 attempts. He threw for 21,886 yards and 187 touchdowns. Baugh rushed for 9 touchdowns. He also had at least 12 interceptions, including 4 in one game, still tied for the NFL record.

Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman (of the Bears) are the only two early NFL quarterbacks for which the present-day NFL passer rating can be applied.

Baugh starred in several movies, including "King of the Texas Rangers".

And this was after he was a pro St. Louis baseball player. After he retired from the Skins, he became a college coach.

I don't think anybody will ever touch this guy.

It's sad that this entire thread is a bunch of whining about Deion and only like three or four posts even congratulate Sammy Baugh or recognize his achievements. This thread should be focused on the NUMBER ONE guy on that list, not some stupid pointless argument.

Deion IS a Redskin and if you booed someone on your own team than you're not much of a fan.

Honestly there is no way you will ever win this argument. Deion is far more of a douschebag than he is anything else, but if we were going to do a list of what Deion is, "Redskin" barely makes the top 10.

1. Big giant dousche

2. Arrogant A-hole

3. Wannabe gansta pimp look-a-like

4. Cowpuke

5. Most overrated CB in modern history

6. Atlanta Brave

7. illiterate

8. 49er (of the Jeff Garcia persuasion)

9. Baltimore Raven

10. Washington Redskin.

Barely in the top 10.

I give anybody who booed deion much more respect as a fan than I ever would someone who cheered him and especally more than the man who signed him.

Archived