Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GM- We don't need no stinkin' GM!

Beer is Food

Bashing the front office seems to be one main focal point on this board. And, it’s easy to pick out individual moves such as Archuletta, to support such an argument. The calls from fans to focus more on the draft, stop trading picks, stop focusing on free agency pick ups, and bring in a GM is so loud it’s mind numbing. The problem is that it’s easier to see problems with any one area, than it is to see the successes in establishing an over all strategy.

The bottom line is that the overall strategy is not only sound, but it’s refreshingly creative. The entire Redskins organization lacked strategy pre-Gibbs II. The difference between then and now is accountability. During Gibbs II tenure, the team has built itself quickly- primarily through acquiring free agents, trading for players, and moving up in the draft. What’s the common denominator in building a team via this method? … Accountability! If a player works out, you know you were responsible for aggressively pursuing that individual. And, if a player fails, then you know you made a mistake. Accountability is the upside, and the downside is you have to pay more of premium to get what you want in both salary and draft picks. I’m not saying that every move has worked out, but I am saying the strategy is sound.

How does bringing in a GM with total control solve any problems with player acquisition? Having a new talent evaluator making the decisions may result in better evaluating, but essentially all you are doing is swapping structure and presumably taking the final call away from Gibbs and putting it in the GM’s hand. The way it is supposed to work now is Gibbs makes the final call and his decisions are based on what the Skins talent evaluators’ grade. When mistakes are made now, mistakes are made because an evaluator didn’t do his job correctly. By being aggressive Gibb’s can see what mistakes were made and who is responsible for them. If the Skins were not aggressive, and just waited until a player dropped to them, then there is always the excuse of we didn’t get who we wanted. The primary reason the focus has been on FA and trades is because Gibbs knows who’s accountable for what. I’d rather a HOF, make these calls than a new GM.

Now maybe it is time to get new scouts or a personal chief as long as this person doesn’t usurp Gibbs authority. And, I should add that since Gibb’s arrival the FO has been criticized too heavily for their drafts. I frankly don’t want to do a time consuming statistical analysis of all teams draft history, but it seems to me every team fails more often than they succeed. I would argue if a team gets two starters and a back up in any draft, then it has been a very good draft. When you criticize the Skins draft since Gibbs, keep in mind the starters we acquire through trade. And, with installing a new offense and injuries last year, the verdict is still out on every new player besides Archuletta and Duckett. And if either Lloyd or El work out as a legitimate #2 WR, I would consider those moves a success.

Furthermore, I see the Skins taking a giant leap forward with personnel moves from Spurrior’s team. From a talent perspective, Spurrior’s team was a finesse team with little talent. In two years, Gibb’s and company overhauled the roster and assembled a playoff team. Yes- last year, the team was a bitter disappointment. Still I see the team making a giant leap forward and then taking a step back. Rather than to build on progress- bringing in a new GM to oversee Gibb’s would be nothing more than a vote of no confidence.

In summation, Gibb’s has created an overall strategy- installing a system in which there is maximum accountability. In order to maximize accountability, the team has over paid in draft picks, and salary, but for the most part the team gets the players they target. The team seemed to lack strategy prior to Gibb’s arrival. Gibb’s bases his personnel decisions based on talent evaluators. If mistakes are made, then talent evaluators are accountable for mistakes. Replacing Cerrato and individual scouts may prove necessary. Bringing in a new GM, is not necessary, unless you lack confidence in Gibbs. Gibb’s has succeeded in transforming a floundering franchise into a playoff team in two season. Many factors contributed to last years failure, but thanks to Gibb’s the team needs to be tweaked rather than overhauled in order to be competitive. More importantly, thanks to Gibb’s the organization can pin point who deserves the credit and the blame.

Ironically, I also see the issue of accountability as the main problem with the Redskins organization. Is Gibb’s really in charge? With the almost Briggs trade, we saw an inside glimpse into the Redskins process. And, that process should make all Redskins fans question whether Gibb’s is really in control. Regardless- Gibb's is the solution and bringing in a new GM will just cause more problems.

Do you still think we need a GM? And, if you do think we need a new GM, do you also lack faith in Gibbs?

Here you go...

Bashing the front office seems to be one main focal point on this board. And, it’s easy to pick out individual moves such as Archuletta, to support such an argument. The calls from fans to focus more on the draft, stop trading picks, stop focusing on free agency pick ups, and bring in a GM is so loud it’s mind numbing. The problem is that it’s easier to see problems with any one area, than it is to see the successes in establishing an over all strategy.

The bottom line is that the overall strategy is not only sound, but it’s refreshingly creative. The entire Redskins organization lacked strategy pre-Gibbs II. The difference between then and now is accountability. During Gibbs II tenure, the team has built itself quickly- primarily through acquiring free agents, trading for players, and moving up in the draft. What’s the common denominator in building a team via this method? … Accountability! If a player works out, you know you were responsible for aggressively pursuing that individual. And, if a player fails, then you know you made a mistake. Accountability is the upside, and the downside is you have to pay more of premium to get what you want in both salary and draft picks. I’m not saying that every move has worked out, but I am saying the strategy is sound.

How does bringing in a GM with total control solve any problems with player acquisition? Having a new talent evaluator making the decisions may result in better evaluating, but essentially all you are doing is swapping structure and presumably taking the final call away from Gibbs and putting it in the GM’s hand. The way it is supposed to work now is Gibbs makes the final call and his decisions are based on what the Skins talent evaluators’ grade. When mistakes are made now, mistakes are made because an evaluator didn’t do his job correctly. By being aggressive Gibb’s can see what mistakes were made and who is responsible for them. If the Skins were not aggressive, and just waited until a player dropped to them, then there is always the excuse of we didn’t get who we wanted. The primary reason the focus has been on FA and trades is because Gibbs knows who’s accountable for what. I’d rather a HOF, make these calls than a new GM.

Now maybe it is time to get new scouts or a personal chief as long as this person doesn’t usurp Gibbs authority. And, I should add that since Gibb’s arrival the FO has been criticized too heavily for their drafts. I frankly don’t want to do a time consuming statistical analysis of all teams draft history, but it seems to me every team fails more often than they succeed. I would argue if a team gets two starters and a back up in any draft, then it has been a very good draft. When you criticize the Skins draft since Gibbs, keep in mind the starters we acquire through trade. And, with installing a new offense and injuries last year, the verdict is still out on every new player besides Archuletta and Duckett. And if either Lloyd or El work out as a legitimate #2 WR, I would consider those moves a success.

Furthermore, I see the Skins taking a giant leap forward with personnel moves from Spurrior’s team. From a talent perspective, Spurrior’s team was a finesse team with little talent. In two years, Gibb’s and company overhauled the roster and assembled a playoff team. Yes- last year, the team was a bitter disappointment. Still I see the team making a giant leap forward and then taking a step back. Rather than to build on progress- bringing in a new GM to oversee Gibb’s would be nothing more than a vote of no confidence.

In summation, Gibb’s has created an overall strategy- installing a system in which there is maximum accountability. In order to maximize accountability, the team has over paid in draft picks, and salary, but for the most part the team gets the players they target. The team seemed to lack strategy prior to Gibb’s arrival. Gibb’s bases his personnel decisions based on talent evaluators. If mistakes are made, then talent evaluators are accountable for mistakes. Replacing Cerrato and individual scouts may prove necessary. Bringing in a new GM, is not necessary, unless you lack confidence in Gibbs. Gibb’s has succeeded in transforming a floundering franchise into a playoff team in two season. Many factors contributed to last years failure, but thanks to Gibb’s the team needs to be tweaked rather than overhauled in order to be competitive. More importantly, thanks to Gibb’s the organization can pin point who deserves the credit and the blame.

Ironically, I also see the issue of accountability as the main problem with the Redskins organization. Is Gibb’s really in charge? With the almost Briggs trade, we saw an inside glimpse into the Redskins process. And, that process should make all Redskins fans question whether Gibb’s is really in control. Regardless- Gibb's is the solution and bringing in a new GM will just cause more problems.

Do you still think we need a GM? And, if you do think we need a new GM, do you also lack faith in Gibbs?

Alright so the main theme here is accountability... who is accountable then? Did anyone lose their job or get demoted after last year's offseason debacle? Has any portion of the chain of command changed? If Gibbs is heading the decision making process, shouldn't he be the one to be held accountable and if so, why are you felating him with your keyboard?

P.S. I like your username.

We need a competent GM with some authority over the team. Period. A guy with balls enough to negotiate the Portis deal without throwing in a 2nd. A guy who could have vetoed the Duckett waste. A guy to manage the draft. A guy who could have paid Lloyd based on his talent and accomplishments, not some fantastical idea. A guy who would not totally ignore the DL and pretend they are not important anyway. A guy to look at recognize our own talent and our situation, and get guys like Dockery, Cooley, ST signed BEFORE they test the market and their value skyrockets. A guy who wouldn't hallucinate and envision Archuletta as something he is not, never was and never will be, and make him the highest paid at his postion in the history of the NFL......A guy who can put full time into his job that does not have other duties like COACHING AN NFL TEAM.

Of course the Coaches should have great input into the personnel selection. It's their playbook, their philosophy. They know what they need, but need controls on who they get for how much.

Alright so the main theme here is accountability... who is accountable then? Did anyone lose their job or get demoted after last year's offseason debacle? Has any portion of the chain of command changed? If Gibbs is heading the decision making process, shouldn't he be the one to be held accountable and if so, why are you felating him with your keyboard?

The point is trading for players, picking up FA's, and moving up in the draft is a good strategy to build a team quickly and it's worked. As far as I know there hasn't been any moves in the FO as of yet. I expect there may be soon and time may tell. And, frankly I'm not so sure Gibb's makes the final call. Especially- when it comes to FO personell.

And, as far as your last question, I frankly don't follow you. I guess I'm not as familiar with male felattio as you. Please try not bringing me up to speed

We need a competent GM with some authority over the team. Period. A guy with balls enough to negotiate the Portis deal without throwing in a 2nd. A guy who could have vetoed the Duckett waste. A guy who could have paid Lloyd based on his talent and accomplishments, not some fantastical idea. A guy who would not totally ignore the DL and pretend they are not important anyway. A guy to look at recognize our own talent and our situation, and get guys like Dockery, Cooley, ST signed BEFORE they test the market and their value skyrockets. A guy who wouldn't hallucinate and envision Archuletta as something he is not, never was and never will be, and make him the highest paid at his postion in the history of the NFL......A guy who can put full time into his job that does not have other duties like COACHING AN NFL TEAM.

Of course the Coaches should have great input into the personnel selection. It's their playbook, their philosophy. They know what they need, but need controls on who they get for how much.

I agree- mistakes were made. Duckett and Archuletta were a waste of ink. I don't think you can blame Gibb's for the moves. The strategy was sound. In William's system we value stud safeties. And, niether Portis nor Betts are great short yardage guys. The problem is with the evaluation- not the strategy. And, yes the skins paid too much for Portis. But, in retrospect- Bailey was going to leave in FA, we signed another shut down corner in Springs in FA, and we got a stud RB, for essentially a second round pick. I liked the move.

The point is trading for players, picking up FA's, and moving up in the draft is a good strategy to build a team quickly.

Into a laughing stock, yes. Into a team with better than a 5-11 record, no.

And, frankly I'm not so sure he makes the final call.

Me either. I still think Snyder has his little fingers into everything. I hate him.

And, as far as your last question, I frankly don't follow you. I guess I'm not as familiar with male felattio as you.

Oh, I think you are my friend... I think you are.

But seriously I just put that keyboard felattio thing in because it came into my head and it seemed like a funny line. Nothing personal.

It's a strategy that looks good on paper but it hasn't worked buddy. Where has it brought us? One playoff game. A GM got us 3 superbowls, 4 NFC championships and a winning season almost every season for 12 years.

Beatherd was a great GM and brought Gibb's aboard. If I remember correctly we traded just as many or more picks back then. I'm not saying that a new personell chief wouldn't help, but changing the structure with a new GM won't accomplish anything but undermining Gibb's authority.

Into a laughing stock, yes. Into a team with better than a 5-11 record, no.

5-11 last year. Many injuries with little depth. Also, new offense with a new QB. The year before we won a playoff game. Prior to Gibb's we were being compared to the cardinals. The Redskins were pathetic. As far as I'm concerned you can't build a team with out starters, and the lack of depth is natural considering prior to Gibbs we had little depth and bad starters. You have to get starting players before you can add depth.

This team has no strategy or vision. Every move is a spastic, short term reaction. As a result their record is horrible. The fact that you think the front office is creative doesn't help the quality of the product on the field.

You're right... The product on the field is what counts. I expect more wins this year.

What amazes me is the combination of short term selective memory on this board. Yes- last year the Skins sucked! The year prior the Skins were contenders. The 10 years+ prior, the skins were a friggen joke. Give the man that earned this city 3 trophies some time to turn around one of the worst products in the NFL. Look past last year... and see that progress has been made.

You're right... The product on the field is what counts. I expect more wins this year.

What amazes me is the combination of short term selective memory on this board. Yes- last year the Skins sucked! The year prior the Skins were contenders. The 10 years+ prior, the skins were a friggen joke. Give the man that earned this city 3 trophies some time to turn around one of the worst products in the NFL. Look past last year... and see that progress has been made.

More time? Are you kidding? Look at what Chicago did. They started with arguably a worse roster and in basically one year built a deep super bowl team through the draft. How much time are you willing to give Gibbs? He's about to retire again...

More time? Are you kidding? Look at what Chicago did. They started with arguably a worse roster and in basically one year built a deep super bowl team through the draft. How much time are you willing to give Gibbs? He's about to retire again...

ER,,, THE Barry Wilburn??

First, Chicago had superb building blocks on D to work with. Yet- for sake of argument let's say Chicago did turn it around from nothing. You are saying anytime a coach has a losing season- fire him and bring in another staff. C'mon!

Part of the Skins problem through the years is that they would burn through coaches, and couldn't keep the Assistant coaches on the staff even if the head coach remained.

Edit: I would give Gibbs to the end of his contract. 2 more years.

The success of the Gibbs experiment is hard to gauge. The one positive that I can discern is that he's kept Snyder at bay, and out of the mix in terms of personnel matters. The downside to having Gibbs, though, is that he has never been a personnel guy. Things worked perfectly under the previous formula - the GM (Beathard) decided who came, and Gibbs decided who stayed.

We need something like that again.

Having read John Feinstein's book, "Next Man Up", Mr. Feinstein emphasized the importance of a General Manager. The success of the team comes from the owner's understanding that team's aren't built overnight and to have faith in your Front Office; support your coaching staff in all decisions: who to keep on the roster, when to call on these players when need demands. Basically, reinforce confidence in management and coaching, and this permeates the team. Sure, mistakes are made. Explore the various ways to salvage the talent, and, for God's sake, don't point fingers, place blame. Owners, Managers, Scouts, Coaches, and Players make the team. This is why the Baltimore Ravens are successfull.

By the way, the book does not paint a pretty picture of Dan Snyder. Mr. Snyder's antics are well documented and his approach to communication with coaches leave a lot to be desired. I see Coach Gibbs as the one with his finger in the hole of this dam, and Snyder as an unending leak. Snyder's involvement seems to have subsided some during the Gibbs II tenure. Once Gibb's leaves, Snyder may again involve himself thoroughly. Spooky.

Hail Redskins!

Coach Gibbs is obviously gone (as coach) in two years and will not be extended in that capacity. A GM absolutely MUST be hired before he steps down. My guess is that he stays at team president, but hires someone to serve as GM. That GM should be the one who hires the next coach, not Snyder.

Coach Gibbs is obviously gone (as coach) in two years and will not be extended in that capacity. A GM absolutely MUST be hired before he steps down. My guess is that he stays at team president, but hires someone to serve as GM. That GM should be the one who hires the next coach, not Snyder.

:applause:

Archived