Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sanders only worth a low-round draft choice? We must have morons in our front office!

According to the WP, a Redskin official said they would release Sanders for a LOW-ROUND draft pick. That usually means a lousy 6th or 7th round pick.

After Sanders put us in cap hell which we are still paying for -- do we have morons working in our front office? I mean come on! :doh: If the Raiders want Sanders that bad for a Super Bowl run.... I would not take less then a 2nd round pick!

If the Skins release Sanders and get nothing or a 7th round pick.... I swear I am not pulling for the idiots at Fed-ex field for the next 3 years! :puke: An organization this dumb would not deserve any support. :doh:

Sanders Talks About Joining the Raiders

OAKLAND, Calif., Dec. 22 -- Deion Sanders is discussing coming out of retirement to join the Oakland Raiders for the playoffs.

"I may come back to a playoff team," he said today on CBS Sports' "NFL Today," on which he is a studio host. "I've made contact, I have spoken to my attorney, we have spoken to the Oakland Raiders."

Signing Sanders, 35, would require compensation to the Washington Redskins, his last team. Sanders, 35, retired after the 2000 season and a Redskins source said the team would seek a low-round draft choice in compensation for releasing him.

Raiders senior assistant Bruce Allen would not confirm the team was negotiating with Sanders. "I think this is Deion's imagination running away from him, maybe a little fantasy football," Allen said. "He's too young to play for us anyway."

However, Allen didn't offer any denials, either.

"No, I can't say it's false," Allen said. "I think he's always liked the Raiders. I think he's having some fun imagining the possibilities."

Aside from Pro Bowl safety Rod Woodson, who has started every game this season, the Raiders' secondary has been reeling.

Cornerback Charles Woodson played today despite a cracked fibula in his right leg. Tory James, who has a similar injury and had surgery Dec. 12, could return for Saturday's regular season finale against Kansas City, Allen said.

Some Raiders players seemed intrigued by the idea of Sanders joining them.

"If anyone [could come back after two years off], he'd be the guy," wide receiver Tim Brown said. "We had heard about that last week. I don't know if the coaches knew about it, but that's something for the defense to worry about. If he comes in here, he's not going to be the nickel back, or the dime guy. The whole thing is team chemistry. . . . It would be like [Jerry] Rice coming here.

Quarterback Rich Gannon turned 37 on Friday, wide receivers Rice and Brown are 40 and 36, respectively. Rod Woodson is 37, and linebacker Bill Romanowski is 36. And the Raiders believe this is their best shot of getting to the Super Bowl before salary cap restrictions force major changes to the roster.

"He'd fit in great," Romanowski said. "Football players would go for it. You've got one of the greatest athletes who ever played the game. If he wanted to play, he could. . . . Let's sign him up. If a guy wants to help us win the Super Bowl, sign him up."

Sanders said he hadn't made a decision.

"I'm really thinking about the whole situation," he said. "I'm not going to say I have an offer from the Raiders."

How soon would he go?

"I could get off this desk right now and go," he said. "I wouldn't come back for a full season. I would never come back for a full season, because I love my job, and I love you all out there."

Later in the show, during a rundown of the playoff picture, fellow analyst Boomer Esiason noted the Raiders have a "tenuous" hold on the top spot in the AFC.

"That's why I'm somewhat hesitant," Sanders said. "Because you've got to understand . . . I'm watching Oakland. Because this is Custer's last stand. The old-timers, this is your last stand. They're $45 million over the cap next year. That's why right now it's evident that they do what they must do."

Calls to Sanders's agent were not immediately returned today.

Asked about a possible Sanders return, Raiders Coach Bill Callahan said: "Who? I don't know anything about it."

Sanders finished his career with 474 tackles (385 solo), 48 interceptions, 10 forced fumbles and 8 touchdowns. He also was a standout kick returner.

Staff writers Leonard Shapiro, in Oakland, and Mark Maske, in Washington, contributed to this report.

Well the thing is this quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could get off this desk right now and go," he said. "I wouldn't come back for a full season. I would never come back for a full season, because I love my job, and I love you all out there."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We won't get more than a fifth rounder now. It's looking like a seventh. But that's at least something. Remember Rock Cartwright was a seventh round pick. They are not worthless in the hands of a professional.

-DB

Apparently you don't know how to play poker Drunkenboxer. :laugh:

Al Davis does. Look what he ripped off the Tampa Bay Bucs for..... two #1 and two #2 picks.....for a lame duck coach who everyone knew was leaving at the end of the year anyway.

Its not a question of what Sanders is really worth... its a question of what Al Davis THINKS HE'S WORTH. With injuries in the Raider secondary, Davis apparently thinks the addition of Sanders means winning a Super Bowl. If that is the case.....right or wrong... and Davis apparently thinks he is right.... winning a Super Bowl should be worth a 2nd round pick! :laugh:

I mean do you really believe that Al Davis feels sorry for us and wants to do us a favor by giving us a 7th round pick? :laugh:

Hell, if worse comes to worse.... we can let Redman represent Snyder in the legal negotiations with Al Davis. Then again maybe not..... Redman would probably want his usual 40%! :laugh:

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

Well the thing is this quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could get off this desk right now and go," he said. "I wouldn't come back for a full season. I would never come back for a full season, because I love my job, and I love you all out there."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now thats laughable. The reason you wont play a full season isnt because you love your job and love "everybody out there", but its because you're a lazy sack of crap who not only cant handle training camp, but now cant even handle the regular season.

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

Actually, I am a very good poker player.

But this has nothing to do with poker. The raiders don't NEED sanders. They might want him though. It's small stakes at this point on both sides of the table. No ones going to call the overbet, no need to.

-DB

WTF? Are you for real? The Raiders need him like a mofo!! Their secondary is totally shot. This is it for them. Next year they will be in salary cap hell and they will have to release everyone so this is it. We have the advantage here. They need secondary help bad. They have a ton of picks as well so giveing one up isn't that big of a deal even a high pick. A 2nd is high IMO but a 3rd or 4th rounder is the correct compensation for a future pro-bowl player.

If Sanders can play now like he says, and yet, while under contract, does not play for us... then he can stay retired for all I care. To me this is about principles and not about compensation.

He made this proud organization, and the owner, look like a fool... He held out until the last possible moment, then quit so he wouldn't have to endure camp Marty.

I was sad the day he came to the team, but I'll sure be pissed if they let him off the hook that easy. If Sanders gives the money back, and a 5th rounder from the Raiders, then maybe I won't be as pissed. But he screwed us, retired, and that is where he should remain... in retirement.

Peace

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Plus, he is going to play maybe the one regular season game and at most, three playoff games if they make it to the Super Bowl. The Skins would get a seventh, maybe sixth rounder to let him play at most four games with the Raiders. I'd say that is pretty good considering they won't get a thing for him otherwise.

I don't know how you can say we wouldn't get anything for him anyway? We own his rights until 2007. It doesn't really effect us if he comes back or not. The Redskins have already paid for Deion's cap hit so that doesn't matter anymore either. I think the SKins front office should play hardball with the raiders. They have the edge in this. Not Deion or the Raiders

Actually, I am a very good poker player.

Maybe you are, but apparently Vinnie isn't. We really have Neon Deion and the Raiders over a barrel. I think you underestimate how badly Al Davis and crew want to win NOW. There is no next year for them. The entire team gets dismantled and sent to an old-folks home after this season.

Their secondary is in disarray. They clearly need help, and they think Sanders can help.

Why the hell wouldn't we demand a very high draft pick? All they can say is no. They have plenty to give -- they got lots in the Gruden deal. I say we demand a second-rounder -- this guy was supposedly the best DB in the league, right? Yes, it will make the Raiders hate us, but who cares? We have all the leverage in the world right now, because we can veto the deal.

I think in the end we should be happy to get anything for that sorry broken-down Neon punk -- it'd be worth it just to get him off TV and onto a playing field where he can be humiliated.

Well, It all depends on how good they think Deion will be.

He has not played in a while and is going to be out of shape. He was already losing a step in his year here. For a second rounder the raiders should get a starter who can play on thier team for the next ten years. Sanders is not going to be worth that to them.

In my estimation its much more like a used car salesman than a poker player. We both know he's going to suck, but they really need a car, and we just want to be assholes.

-DB

That's the ticket!

I can see your Ferrari has died, in a bad neighborhood, at night, you're wearing a Rolex and you're surrounded by some very suspicious looking characters. Your choices are: walk home, or buy this lovely 1981 Chrysler LeBaron from me. Back in the 90's, this thing was winning races every weekend. It's got a shiny paint job, but no one has looked under the hood recently, so buy it at your own risk.

Such a deal: only one second-round draft pick for me.

Originally posted by MRMADD

Maybe you are, but apparently Vinnie isn't. We really have Neon Deion and the Raiders over a barrel. I think you underestimate how badly Al Davis and crew want to win NOW. There is no next year for them. The entire team gets dismantled and sent to an old-folks home after this season.

I think in the end we should be happy to get anything for that sorry broken-down Neon punk -- it'd be worth it just to get him off TV and onto a playing field where he can be humiliated.

==============================================

good point with that last paragraph.i don't think we'll be getting a 1st or 2nd unless were sending a pick or 2 with deion.say rhyme time & a 4th for a 1st or 2nd.

there's no tomorrow for the raiders.it's do or die...

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Al Davis does. Look what he ripped off the Tampa Bay Bucs for..... two #1 and two #2 picks.....for a lame duck coach who everyone knew was leaving at the end of the year anyway.

Lame duck ????he does have the Bucs in contention for Homefield advantage throughout the playoff's....I think The bucs made a decent move here ...The gave up alot to get him , but they are reaping the benefits right now ...Plus they were not garunteed that Gruden would have went to Tampa Bay if they were to have waited for the end of his contract ...They sealed the deal , and made the Bucs a worthy Superbowl contender in the process ...Smart move if you ask me , and it seems that they won the poker hand so far ...we will know at the end of the year ..

HTTR!!!

I agree the Raiders want to win now, however after this year they will be blown up due to being 50 million over the cap. Davis will have to rebuild thourgh the draft, so I doubt he will give up a valuable future early round draft pick for Deon to play in the playoffs. No one knows what kind of shape Deon is in, and what if the Raiders lose in the first round? Trade a #1 for one game?

Yes try to get as much as you can, but don't waste a chance at getting something, by playing hardball.

If true, this is truly pathetic. The only thing worse than signing that robber in the first place is allowing him to get away "scot-free" so to speak. 6th round pick??? That has to be some sort of joke. Danny Snyder will feel my wrath for good if he pulls the trigger on this. It will show his love of that punk Deion perhaps overshadows the good of the team and his own pride(though he's shown this before by refusing to get B. Smith's dead weight off the team). Imagine what Marty would have said to such an offer. :laugh:

I see we truly are a rudderless ship. Danny needs to show some nads with this oneor he risks losing even more fans.

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

If true, this is truly pathetic. The only thing worse than signing that robber in the first place is allowing him to get away "scot-free" so to speak. 6th round pick??? That has to be some sort of joke. Danny Snyder will feel my wrath for good if he pulls the trigger on this. It will show his love of that punk Deion perhaps overshadows the good of the team and his own pride(though he's shown this before by refusing to get B. Smith's dead weight off the team). Imagine what Marty would have said to such an offer. :laugh:

I see we truly are a rudderless ship. Danny needs to show some nads with this oneor he risks losing even more fans.

What do we get if he never plays again ???

Nothing .....Why not get something ???

I would be more mad if we never had a chance to get nothing in return for that fagot ....How sweet would it be if we got a 5th or 6th rounder , and we got to enjoy this back-stabber be the reason the Raiders did not even make the playoffs next year ....I really think he has lost a couple steps , and a couple toes ...I hate the fact he was ever a Redskin.....Let him leave ...lets be done with him ....for good ...

HTTR!!!

Baralufficus, for your information Tampa Bay did not trade two #1 and two #2 draft picks and $7 million dollars for Gruden, so that he could get them into the playoffs. They were already a playoff team the last 5 years or so. They made the trade for Gruden hoping he would win a Super Bowl for them, and anything less then that is not a successful trade, considering what they gave up. When either Green Bay or Philadelphia eliminates them again this year in the playoffs, you will see that they didn't gain a damn thing and were taken to the cleaners to boot. :laugh:

Below is the latest on Deion from the WT. I think Snyder should file tampering charges against the Raiders, UNLESS Davis gives us a 2nd round pick. :laugh:

Club may file charge over Deion

By Rick Snider and Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Washington Redskins are considering whether to file tampering charges against the Oakland Raiders for contacting former Redskins cornerback Deion Sanders in violation of NFL rules.

The Redskins own the rights to Sanders, who said yesterday he has discussed the possibility of coming out of retirement to join the Raiders for the playoffs. The Raiders admitted yesterday that they had contacted Sanders.

The Redskins placed Sanders on the "reserve retired" list last year after he refused to report to new coach Marty Schottenheimer and retain his rights indefinitely. The Raiders were required by NFL rules to get the Redskins' permission before contacting Sanders. Redskins sources said the club was not aware that the Raiders were pursuing the Pro Bowl cornerback.

The Redskins last night still were analyzing statements made by Sanders on CBS' "The NFL Today" show, where he has been a studio host for two seasons, in an effort to determine whether they should request sanctions against the Raiders by the league.

The NFL could strip the Raiders of a draft choice or fine them for the infraction.

"I may come back to a playoff team," Sanders said on "The NFL Today." "I've made contact, I have spoken to my attorney, we have spoken to the Oakland Raiders."

The chances of Sanders making a comeback with the Raiders appear to be slim because the Redskins will seek compensation before releasing his rights.

The Redskins could ask Sanders to return the $7.5million of his signing bonus that remains; he earlier returned $500,000 of the bonus to the club as a settlement for breach of contract. That $7.5million would far outweigh any deal "Prime Time" could get from the Raiders.

The Redskins can't trade Sanders because the NFL deadline has passed, but they could deal the rights to him for next season in return for draft picks. Few teams would be willing to make such a trade for an aging corner who might play only one season.

Sanders said he announced the negotiations on air because he didn't want the news to be broken elsewhere. A Raiders official and Sanders' agent, Eugene Parker, confirmed to ESPN that discussions had taken place, but neither said a contract was offered.

Sanders said he would be interested in returning for the playoffs but that he wasn't looking for a season-long commitment.

"I could get off of this desk right now and cover," Sanders said. "I would never come back for a full season because I love my job. But it is intriguing for a playoff run, when it all counts. I like that aspect of it. I'm praying about it, I really am."

The Raiders need help in their secondary, someone to play alongside Pro Bowl safety Rod Woodson. Cornerback Charles Woodson is hampered by a cracked fibula in his right leg, and Tory James could return from a similar injury to play in the season finale against Kansas City on Sunday.

Sanders, 35, signed a blockbuster deal with the Redskins in 2000 that included an $8million bonus. The seven-time Pro Bowl player was beaten for only one touchdown as a Redskin, but he seldom made big plays.

After Schottenheimer was hired in January 2001, Sanders refused to report for offseason camps and even briefly played for baseball's Cincinnati Reds.

However, Sanders wasn't on a major league roster when training camp began; if he had been, he would have been exempt from playing for the Redskins until midseason. Sanders decided to retire rather than play under what he and other veterans considered to be Schottenheimer's heavy-handed style.

Eff Deion. Eff the Raiders. Eff any of the 31 teams that want Deion's services.

I want 1st and 3rd round picks. If the league won't allow picks to be exchanged, then I want Deion to give back the rest of his signing bonus money and have the league give us a fat rebate against the 2003 cap.

We hold the Raiders and the league by the balls on this one. If the Raiders want a ring and the league wants the TV ratings boost that Deion would bring, then they should compensate the Skins. Handsomely. Otherwise, let Deion ROT. I'd gladly pass on the offer of a "low round draft choice" if it meant keeping Deion from ever playing in the NFL again.

We should get whatever the Raider are willing to pays us for the rights for slime time. Hey, at least to some posts here, the Raiders are going to be way over the cap next year so how are they going to use those all those draft picks 2-#1's and 2-#2's and then pay all their players? Hey The Skins would be doing them a favor if they took a # 1. :high:

Archived