Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins excerpts from "The Blind Side"

LiveStrongSkins

Just got done reading the book. It's a great book about how the Left tackle position evolutionized the sport. Talks about how it derived from the dominance of Lawrence Taylor. There are several Redskins excerpts. One of which was how Joe Gibbs created the two tight end package to take LT out of the game plan. Another was Lawrence Taylor admitting how much Russ Grimm frustrated him because of how athletic he was for his size. Said he tried to use a move he named "geritol" where he would approach Grimm like an old man to try and get him to raise his hands early so he could knock them down:laugh:. It then goes on to explain the injury to Theismann and how it was the one game Grimm was on the sideline. The book then goes on to explain the evolution of the protection of the "blind side" both to the sport and economically. It's a great book. My girlfriend even loves it. I definetly recommend it.

Lawrence Taylor was a beast. Since I was so young its hard for me to remember just how much of an animal he was. People quit playing football because of him. A tackle for the Eagles quit a day after they played the Giants when Taylor ran around him like he wasnt there then laughed in his face after the play was over.

LT was a freaaak. Shawne Merriman is very similar.

After reading this book and then going back and watching his highlites... Merriman couldnt hold a stick to L.T. Taylor says that he had his own way of counting sacks. He said it wasnt a sack unless he hit the QB so hard that there was erie silence and the only sound was bones breaking and the ball flying the other way. When he hit, he hit to kill. Merriman is a great athlete but not the type of bone crushing intimidator that LT was. There were lineman interviewed in the book that said they would break into a sweat Wednesday night just thinking about trying to block LT on sunday. :laugh: I dont think anyone is losing sleep over Merriman 5 days before the game.

LT was a freaaak. Shawne Merriman is very similar.

Merriman is not even close. LT could take over a game by himself. Whole offensive schemes were developed to TRY to block him. I am a diehard skins fan, but I have a huge amount of respect bordering on awe of LT's play. It's like trying to compare people to Jordan.

Merriman is not even close. LT could take over a game by himself. Whole offensive schemes were developed to TRY to block him. I am a diehard skins fan, but I have a huge amount of respect bordering on awe of LT's play. It's like trying to compare people to Jordan.

I found the same thing. He truely was a dominating athlete. A true intimidator. He said he cant even remember how many times a QB dropped back and didnt even look at where he was trying to throw. He said his favorite thing to say to a wideyed qb was "Dont worry where I am... I'll let you know when I get there."

LT had alot of respect for Grimm. The book also explains how Grimm was the athletic 300 pound lineman before the position even existed. Talked about how he was a star in b asketball at his high school as well. It took LT the longest time he said to try and figure out Grimm. It was a good read.

I found the same thing. He truely was a dominating athlete. A true intimidator. He said he cant even remember how many times a QB dropped back and didnt even look at where he was trying to throw. He said his favorite thing to say to a wideyed qb was "Dont worry where I am... I'll let you know when I get there."

Man this book sounds nice!!! Where you buy it at?

I was going to say Tiger. LT was that far ahead of his contemporaries.

One other thought, today's players can't get away with delivering the hits that LT delivered. We've got to protect those QB's you know.

TheFan

I was going to say Tiger. LT was that far ahead of his contemporaries.

One other thought, today's players can't get away with delivering the hits that LT delivered. We've got to protect those QB's you know.

TheFan

Tiger would have worked too. When did the in the grasp rule start?

*edit* I found it, it started in 1979.

Link

I don't understand why LT mentions Grimm. Grimm played guard and LT was always going against Joe Jacoby. I also don't recall Grimm being over 300 pounts. I thought he played in the 290's at that time. Jacoby was the only 300 pounder that I recall. Gibbs put Walker or Warren on Jacoby's left side to help double LT. I could be wrong, but this doesn't sound right to me unless LT was just picking a player out of his ass.

I don't understand why LT mentions Grimm. Grimm played guard and LT was always going against Joe Jacoby. I also don't recall Grimm being over 300 pounts. I thought he played in the 290's at that time. Jacoby was the only 300 pounder that I recall. Gibbs put Walker or Warren on Jacoby's left side to help double LT. I could be wrong, but this doesn't sound right to me unless LT was just picking a player out of his ass.

Well unless Grimm, LT, and the author all made mistakes when talking about Grimm then maybe you are right. I think they moved Grimm from Guard to tackle.

You gotta remember how Parcells used LT. He would line him up everywhere. Not just the weakside LB position. So sometimes that would put him on Grimm. Also don't just think about the pass, when Grimm would pull he would head right for Taylor on many occasions.

Well it was a family friend that let me read it... but I'm sure you can get it at any book store or online.
Cool I dont read books alot but could be a good one for the beach :readnews: Funny how that would be my girl botherin me :D

You gotta remember how Parcells used LT. He would line him up everywhere. Not just the weakside LB position. So sometimes that would put him on Grimm. Also don't just think about the pass, when Grimm would pull he would head right for Taylor on many occasions.

The book said Grimm has played all positions on the offensive line. Maybe Gibbs lined him up at LT a few times when playing against the Giants? The book definetly talks about Grimm playing tackle against LT. To be 100% honest I wasnt old enough then to really remember. Then again the book talks more about the "blindside" than Left tackle specifically so maybe I just assumed it meant left tackle. Blinside applies to LG as well. Oh well I'm kinda confused now because they were definetly talking like Grimm was playing tackle. Either way LT talks in depth about Grimm.

The book said Grimm has played all positions on the offensive line. Maybe Gibbs lined him up at LT a few times when playing against the Giants? The book definetly talks about Grimm playing tackle against LT. To be 100% honest I wasnt old enough then to really remember. Then again the book talks more about the "blindside" than LT specifically so maybe I just assumed it meant left tackle. Either way LT talks in depth about Grimm.

To my recollection Grimm never played LT. Maybe as a sub for injury in an emergency or something, but never regularly.

You guys may be right, but I never remember Grimm playing any tackle. And yeah, I realize LT probably rushed from the inside also, but most of the time, Parcells took advantage of his speed over all the Left Tackles during that era. LT was strong, but He couldn't move Grimm most of the time. LT also came from the right side too. I know he moved all over in the "elephant" position to confuse offenses, but I think most of his battles were with Jacoby, which LT won most of the time, hence the 2 TE offense was born.

but I think most of his battles were with Jacoby, which LT won most of the time

I think your right. most were with Jacoby. But he had more than a few occassions to tangle with Grimm also. Was LT still playing when Lachey came in?

To my recollection Grimm never played LT. Maybe as a sub for injury in an emergency or something, but never regularly.

That's pretty much what I remember. And when Jacoby's best days were passed, he moved to RT and we got Lachey. And then when Jacoby couldn't handle RT anymore, he was moved to LG and Grimm was a backup due to so many injuries in his career.

I'm not saying the author is wrong or LT is wrong (might still be high on cocaine) or that it never happened. I'm just recalling what I saw.

I think your right. most were with Jacoby. But he had more than a few occassions to tangle with Grimm also. Was LT still playing when Lachey came in?

He played until 1993, so yeah he was there when Lachey was there, but his better days were behind him. His last game was a divisional playoff game against SF which they lost 44-3.

no-it was jacoby at tackle, grimm next to him at guard. I do not recall him ever lining up as a tackle to start a game

also doc walker retired just before LT really came on. it was donnie warren who spent much of his day trying to keep LT out of our backfield

Well then I assume they were talking about the one on one matchups with Grimm being at Guard. There was no mention of Warren. Maybe I got it confused and read over it too fast. Either way... its a great book and a good read to get inside the philosophy of how guys like Gibbs and Walsh planned for LT.

Archived