Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I like the sounds of this

ljer

I apologize if this has already been posted here elsewhere.

Spurrier's first-year lesson: 'You've got to take charge'

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer

December 21, 2002

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- There's a new Steve Spurrier waiting to take over, one who actually looks and sounds like an NFL head coach.

Right now, he's watching the old Spurrier suffer through the final games of a Washington Redskins season with the most losses he's ever known.

Among the mistakes Spurrier acknowledges making in his rookie season, the biggest has been creating the appearance that he doesn't control the reins of his own team.

``You've got to take charge. You've got to be in charge,'' Spurrier said in an interview with The Associated Press. ``I should have done that better. The head coach, he should know everything that's going on.''

Spurrier doesn't want to talk about next year with two games to play, but his general comments make it clear he will handle the team differently starting Dec. 30, the day after the final game.

The change is twofold: better interaction with players and more say in how the team is put together. In other words, no more of the ``aw-shucks'' offense-only ballcoach who's happy to work just on pitching and catching and leave everything else to somebody else.

``The head coach can't be standing around watching everything,'' Spurrier said. ``He has to be accountable for everything that moves.

``I came in pretty much last year and really didn't know a lot about the personnel and the draft and this, that and the other. I've tried to learn as much as I can. Even though I won't actively scout defensive linemen or linebackers, I'll be involved in the input and try to get some type of feel for the players we're interested in and give my opinion. Instead of saying, 'Whatever you guys want to do is fine,' I'll say, 'I think we need this guy.'

``That's what the head coach needs to do. Last year I probably wasn't quite qualified to do it, so I didn't try to act like I knew more than I did.''

Spurrier isn't about to criticize his bosses, but his decision to become more involved is an implicit jab at the general-manager-by-committee of owner Dan Snyder, director of player personnel Vinny Cerrato and vice president of football operations Joe Mendes.

The three of them didn't address holes on the offensive line while overspending on defense. Spurrier himself has to take the blame for thinking that ``cheap and available'' quarterbacks and receivers, especially former Florida Gators, would be sufficient to run his dynamic offense.

But perhaps even more important than picking the players, Spurrier needs to overhaul the haphazard nature of how he handles those players.

Spurrier has been so focused on quarterbacks and receivers this season that he seems oblivious to everything else. He mispronounces players' names. He is unaware of injuries. It was four games into the preseason before he realized -- after being told by a reporter -- that one prospect had yet to get into a game.

On Wednesday, he went through an entire practice without noticing that his starting center was out with a virus.

Not only do fans and reporters notice these things, but the players do, too.

``Everybody's running about like 53 different guys right now,'' guard Tre Johnson said. ``I think there's not a lot of that overall feeling of cohesiveness, chemistry.''

Spurrier pleads guilty.

``When you're coach that spends all your time on offense, you have to go out of your way sometimes to make sure you do know everything that's going on with special teams, defense,'' Spurrier said. ``I hope to be even more involved somewhat with the defense, as far as having a relationship -- connection -- with all those guys, too.''

Without that team-wide relationship, it's probably no coincidence that the coach's main complaint about his team recently has been a lack of effort. He noticed the startling contrast in last week's 34-21 loss to Philadelphia.

``I watched their whole team play. We've got to get to like that. We're not like that,'' Spurrier said. ``We've just got to admit it. When that fumble hit the ground the other day and our guys just stood there, it was embarrassing.

``Just the little things, we don't do them well right now. We've got a lot to coach on, I'll tell you that.''

The Redskins (5-9) are guaranteed a losing season, Spurrier's first since a surprisingly competitive 5-6 season in his first year at Duke in 1987. The nine losses are as many as he had during his last three seasons at Florida.

On draft day, Spurrier said he would be a ``basket case'' if he lost as many games as he won. How has he handled it? He said it took him a long time to get the Thanksgiving loss to Dallas out of his system, but otherwise he's managed to stay optimistic.

``Losses still affect me about the same way,'' Spurrier said. ``You don't sleep very well that night, or maybe the next day you look sort of drained a little bit. But the day after that, you wake up and say, 'Hey, the head coach, he's got to stay positive.' ''

In an odd twist, Snyder -- usually the one who has unrealistic expectations -- recently pointed out to Spurrier the price for setting the bar too high.

``That's what Mr. Snyder told me the other day,'' Spurrier said. ``I said, 'You're right.' I thought we had a team that was capable of winning the division, so that was our goal.

``But obviously when Philly clobbered us (37-7) that second game of the season, I had to sit back and say, 'Whoa! Whoa! I don't think our team can play with Philly.' Obviously Philly's a stronger team than the Redskins, and when I mention team, their coaches have had a better year -- and their players. I'm certainly not blaming anything on our players. We're just not good enough this year, and we're just going to try our best to get better.''

Spurrier is the fourth coach in four years for an owner who couldn't tolerate 8-8 records in 2000 and 2001. The need for continuity means Spurrier is safe for the second year of his record five-year, $25 million contract -- despite the losing record.

``He has made it clear Spurrier will be back,'' Snyder's spokesman, Karl Swanson, said.

So Spurrier is eagerly looking ahead. One thing that won't change is his dedication to an offense that throws 40 to 50 passes a game. Next year, perhaps, the Fun 'n' Gun will finally be unleashed.

The players who have bought into his system also can't wait.

``We're going to throw the ball. We're going to get it next year. We're going to make a statement,'' receiver Rod Gardner said. ``We'll know what to expect coming in. We know what we want. We know what coach Spurrier wants.''

Ithink the best thing I see in that story is

In an odd twist, Snyder -- usually the one who has unrealistic expectations -- recently pointed out to Spurrier the price for setting the bar too high.

Sounds like both Synder and SS have learned a good lesson this year

Pretty much what I would expect. Spurrier is going to be a great coach. The media and more than a few on this board have been fooled by his "aw shucks" way of talking. The man is sharp. He knows what he has done wrong and he's going to change it.

I'm excited and optimistic about next year. How can you not be after watching our rookie QB, behind a patchwork O line and no viable threat to run the ball, throw three TDs against one of the best defenses in the NFL?

You want to know the plan? Simple. Fix the O line. Fill some holes. And get back to the fundimentals like holding on to the ball now that the team is begining to understand the new system.

Oh. And one more thing. I predict we lay a woopin' on Dallas in our final game this year. I think the players will be motivated by pride and Darrell Green's last game.

:cheers:

Oh. And one more thing. I predict we lay a woopin' on Dallas in our final game this year. I think the players will be motivated by pride and Darrell Green's last game.

One thing that is not been mentioned is, Davis will likely to playing his final game look for a game to make SS and some fans regret wanting him to go. We have a lot of things going for us to win that game... maybe....

Spurrier has taken a great portion of the blame upon himself. In a lot of ways he's shown more of a capacity to lead the team with that trait than Lewis has, who has been MUCH more pointed in being critical of his players than himself.

Though it must be said that Spurrier can't stand up and keep pointing to himself. He can now. He can maybe even next year. Right now I think all fans kind of know the players aren't quite right for him. I thought his greatest transition to the league was learning just how different it was than college and he certainly appears to have recognized a lot of the differences this year if you listen to what he's saying.

Archived