Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins interested in Palmer?

MikeP.

Originally posted by Bufford

look, if a top QB falls to our spot. That puts us in a great position to trade down, get extra picks and still get a DL or OL or WR in the 1st round.

I was hoping someone pointed this out. We could parlay a trade of Palmer and andy deal we could make with Cinci to a team like the Ravens. Marginally good bvut lacking a QB to run Billick's system.

This could be a quick fix, but won't happen. Look to Snyder and Spurrier being extremely conservative in this draft. I f we have the possibility to draft Leftwich, we can't pass that up.........

Originally posted by IAMBG

If we have the possibility to draft Leftwich, we can't pass that up.........

Why do you say that? Under almost no scenario can I see the logic in drafting a QB in two consecutive first rounds. Perhaps, if you can determine immediately that you made a BIG mistake in drafting the first QB and that he'll just never make it in the league, then maybe. But we are not even remotely close to that being the case with Ramsey. He looks like he could be a star.

Besides, I don't care how awesome a QB performs in college, you just never know how he will make the transition to the NFL. If Leftwich is that great, and we have the chance to take him, someone else will probably be willing to give us the farm for the chance to take him. So we take the farm.

I'm going to take another crack at this and try to spell everything correctly. :pint:

While I would like to first see us plug the holes on the defense and keep us competative at least on that side of the ball, I think we need to get creative with this draft. There are some really good players out there and Palmer is one of them. I do think that if we have the chance to get him, we should do it. Do it on the premise that what has worked in the past few drafts is trades involving these highly touted players. Look at San Diego, Atlanta, Indy with Edgarrin James, you all know the rest.

While these teams aren't winning Super Bowls, they are vying for a playoff spot, much more than anyone can say about us..........

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

Why do you say that? Under almost no scenario can I see the logic in drafting a QB in two consecutive first rounds. Perhaps, if you can determine immediately that you made a BIG mistake in drafting the first QB and that he'll just never make it in the league, then maybe. But we are not even remotely close to that being the case with Ramsey. He looks like he could be a star.

Besides, I don't care how awesome a QB performs in college, you just never know how he will make the transition to the NFL. If Leftwich is that great, and we have the chance to take him, someone else will probably be willing to give us the farm for the chance to take him. So we take the farm.

read my last post. I have sobered up a bit and can explain myself a bit more clearly.........

Ok. Not as sober as I thought. I mean to pick these guys up as trade bait. I do feel we need another QB through the draft, there are a few decent free agents that could be a good backup/tutor for Ramsey, but I think put the fire under him a bit more by drafting another one and watch him light it up.

We might be able to actually get the first round pick for very little. We have some guys we can dump off and give cinci a few late round picks and future picks, then turn around and trade Palmer for virtually an extra entire draft.........

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

Besides, I don't care how awesome a QB performs in college, you just never know how he will make the transition to the NFL.

You already know my position on this. I will say, however, that Palmer is as close to a guaranteed NFL success as anything you'll find out of college. I've watched him out here in LA all year long and his poise and command and presence on the field are very impressive.

He played in a pro style offense against the best that the D-1A college ranks had to offer this year and shined. But he did so with relatively modest talent around him on offense.

I'm not predicting Hall of Fame or anything like that for him. I just happen to think that he's no Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, David Klingler, etc., etc. etc. Based on my admittedly incomplete viewing of NCAA football, I'd take him before any other QB this year.

I may be naive in asking this question, but here goes; has any NFL team ever drafted a QB in the first round in two consecutive years?? I'm not much of a draft historian, but I can't remember one.

Ramseys' gotta be the guy, otherwise the '02 draft is another flop as far as I'm concerned. I like Palmer, big, 6'6", hopefully not a moron like Leaf, but you can't just ditch Ramsey without even letting him play half a season.

Take the article with a grain of salt, just trying to stir up the pot. I HOPE.....:doh:

palmer is impressive. and that pro-offense that he played in was coached by a pro (ex) coach in pete carroll.

still, even if we are in a position to draft palmer, we NEED to trade that pick to a team with a serious b*ner for a qb. drop a couple spots, pick up and extra pick or two, and draft to our o and d lines.

we don't need another rookie qb for SOS to mentor. we already have one. let me ammend that statement. we don't need another first round rookie qb for SOS to mentor. i have zero problems with drafting the best available athlete in rounds 4 and below (qb's included).

again, the real value of being in a position to draft one of the stud young guns is the trade value.

if you go ahead and do something like this you set the franchise back. you won't get market value for Ramsey when teams know he isn't in your plans and you won't fill any of your other needs either.

and let's not forget that STABILITY issue :)

no sooner do we get a guy in here with talent and supposedly we are looking to replace him? I don't believe it.

Ramsey has looked more composed and mature than David Carr and Joey Harrington in more limited action.

I don't see either of those teams giving up on those players.

Rich Gannon and Tom Brady should be a lesson to us.

What you need at qb is a guy with some talent and moxy for playing the game.

You don't have to keep peering over the fence for a stronger arm or a faster set of wheels :)

Get a quality player you can develop and then move on to other need positions on the team.

If Spurrier insists on taking a qb with the #1 pick this season, it will be a sign this team will be more than another year away from driving toward the playoffs.

Another year of breaking in a new guy and going through the same crap all over again.

Again, I don't believe anyone in the front office is quite that stupid.

Besides, wasn't it Snyder that kept moving down to get Ramsey afte the attempts to trade for the Stallworth pick didn't work out? :)

Originally posted by dchogs

palmer is impressive. and that pro-offense that he played in was coached by a pro (ex) coach in pete carroll.

still, even if we are in a position to draft palmer, we NEED to trade that pick to a team with a serious b*ner for a qb. drop a couple spots, pick up and extra pick or two, and draft to our o and d lines.

again, the real value of being in a position to draft one of the stud young guns is the trade value.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!HOW CAN YOU PASS THAT UP????????

Go even further by getting the guy and holding on to him until someone who is about to bust out of his pants gives you all his picks in that draft. Namely Brian Billick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

instead of concocting the miracle stroke to save the team and deliver a fantasy of picks, why can't we just take Ramsey as a blue chip qb prospect who has shown well and go into the draft to upgrade our talent by closely evaluating the available talent? :)

I am so sick and tired of hearing the pie in the sky schemes to get rich quick.

You get the Herschel Walker or Ricky Williams trades once a decade.

While the Redskins sign Trotter for a $7 million bonus, the Eagles respond by bringing in 33 year old Levon Kirkland and playing the ole vet on a one year deal.

The result? The Eagles are still one of the best defenses in the NFL and the Redskins are no better statistically than they were at this point last season :)

There is a lesson in there somewhere......

Archived