Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN's Top 5 RB Tandems

skinsaddict2621

For every "lets not get the annointing oil out post", I'll read 50 talking about how great the tandem will be.

Jesus man, people already refer to them as "area 51".

I haven't read anyone refer to them as "area....lets not get any annointing oil out yet"

You need to start reading more threads.

And what's the problem with feeling that the tandem will be "great"?

First off Betts>>>>Jones

Portis>>>Jones/Barber

Betts = Barber

Portis/Betts>>>>>>>>>Jones/Barber

You're an idiot for even making that statement. Any cowboys fan would rather have Barber III starting over Jones. Jones has already proven that he is injury prone and can't stand up to a 16 game seasons brutality. If you wanna go for facts and depth on it, I'd blow you out of the water. My bro is a pokes fan. I know everybody and everything about that damn team and then some.

And you are not too smarrt if you don't think that list is bogus. If you really think Deuce/Bush are better then LT/The burner, than you don't watch football, plain and simple.

#1 on that list should be LT/MT

#2 should be Portis/Betts

#3 should be Deuce/Bush

#4 should be Fred Taylor/MJD

#5 should be Jones/Barber IIII

I'll explain later if you can't comprehend what I posted. :doh:

WOW. Where did I say duece/bush was better than LT and whoever? Read much?

I actually like your list, but I would take portis/betts outta there. Despite what your b&g glasses might see, Portis is way overrated. Forget the Denver years guys, they're over. Since he's been a skin, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. He's still a damn good back, but he's not in the league of LT, Tiki, LJ, or even westbrook.

And I would put portis/betts above julius and barber, I'm just saying its closer than you all might admit.

JJ 4.1 3.9 4.2 16tds For an average of 4.1 ypc

Portis 4.1 4.3 3.8 24td's For an average of 4.1 ypc

betts 4.7 3.8 4.1 6td's for an average of 4.3 ypc

barber 3.9 4.8 19tds for an average of 4.3 ypc

JJ/Barber have 5 more td's than Portis/Betts too. I don't put much stock in TD's though because td's are a result of what kind of scheme you run near the goal line. Some teams like to use a bruiser, some teams like to go to TE's, and some teams like to use wr's, so unless you play fantasy, its not as important WHO gets the td's as long as your getting them.

Furthermore. I think both skins fans and boys fans would both say you have a better offensive line. Yet the number are almost identical.

Something has to give then. EIther Portis isn't as good as you think he is, or your line isn't as good as you think it is.

For the record, I still think the portis/betts backfield is better, however, I initially said you could make an argument that JJ/Barber is better. Even though I said I'd prefer CP/betts, I think I've made a valid argument.

... & Jerious Norwood isn't better than Ladell Betts, so we should be 3rd or 2nd.

I agree that we should be second or third. Puting Chestor Taylor and a rookie is ridiculous!!!:doh:

However, I think Betts < Norwood (he's a younger, faster version) but CP > Dunn.

And what's the problem with feeling that the tandem will be "great"?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But earlier in the thread people were shocked that ESPN was giving praise to a tandem that included Adrian Peterson, and thier argument was based on the fact that Peterson has never taken a snap in this league.

And I believe that to be a very valid argument.

However, I was pointing out the hypocrisy on here that many people make the same assumption with ST and LR even though LR has never taken a snap in the league.

WOW. Where did I say duece/bush was better than LT and whoever? Read much?

I actually like your list, but I would take portis/betts outta there. Despite what your b&g glasses might see, Portis is way overrated. Forget the Denver years guys, they're over. Since he's been a skin, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. He's still a damn good back, but he's not in the league of LT, Tiki, LJ, or even westbrook.

And I would put portis/betts above julius and barber, I'm just saying its closer than you all might admit.

barber 3.9 4.8 19tds for an average of 4.3 ypc

JJ/Barber have 5 more td's than Portis/Betts too. I don't put much stock in TD's though because td's are a result of what kind of scheme you run near the goal line. Some teams like to use a bruiser, some teams like to go to TE's, and some teams like to use wr's, so unless you play fantasy, its not as important WHO gets the td's as long as your getting them.

Furthermore. I think both skins fans and boys fans would both say you have a better offensive line. Yet the number are almost identical.

Something has to give then. EIther Portis isn't as good as you think he is, or your line isn't as good as you think it is.

For the record, I still think the portis/betts backfield is better, however, I initially said you could make an argument that JJ/Barber is better. Even though I said I'd prefer CP/betts, I think I've made a valid argument.

Jones cant handle a 16 game season, and Barber is a brusier back at most. Portis and Betts can both put up tons of yards, and scores (even though Betts didn't get into the endzone much last year, a result of our anemic redzone scoring offense). Barber has more TD's than Jones despite being a back up. I just thought that was funny.

Your facts do prove that you could "try" to argue about the better tandem, but still when it comes to the smarter decision, you have to go with Portis/Betts. If Betts fixes his fumbling problem we could easily have the #2 best tandem in the league. And we have Sellers as the brusing FB. :D Maybe that's why the # is lower.

And my b&g glasses aren't on bud, ask fans of any other team. They'll tell you the same thing. Portis/Betts is a top 5 RB tandem in this league. I'd put money on that.

SI had us at #2 or #3 earlier on this offseason. And had Jones/Barber III as #4. Theirs was a top 10 RB tandem.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But earlier in the thread people were shocked that ESPN was giving praise to a tandem that included Adrian Peterson, and thier argument was based on the fact that Peterson has never taken a snap in this league.

And I believe that to be a very valid argument.

However, I was pointing out the hypocrisy on here that many people make the same assumption with ST and LR even though LR has never taken a snap in the league.

Oh yea, ok I understand now what you mean now.

I'lll say this, I'm extremely excited about the opportunities that having Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry, on the field at the same time, brings. However, I'm not ready to crown them as the best safety tandem in the league. Adrian Peterson could very well make a great tandem with Chester Taylor, but you can't list them at #2 considering you don't know what will be produced.

barber 3.9 4.8 19tds for an average of 4.3 ypc.

So basically Maurice Jones-Drew got totally robbed of a Pro Bowl appearance this year, since his 5.7 ypc was by far the best of any RB this year. And how did Larry Johnson make the Pro Bowl this year? He only had a 4.3 ypc. Even Betts had a 4.7 ypc.

Jones cant handle a 16 game season, .

I'd have to disagree with this somewhat. He played all of last season and only missed 2-3 games the year before. It was his rookie season that he got hurt in like week 6 or 8.

By the same token, it would be unfair of me to say Portis can't stay healthy cause he missed most of last season last year.

Your facts do prove that you could "try" to argue about the better tandem, but still when it comes to the smarter decision, you have to go with Portis/Betts. If Betts fixes his fumbling problem we could easily have the #2 best tandem in the league. And we have Sellers as the brusing FB. :D Maybe that's why the # is lower..

And thats all I was saying really, was that you could make an argument. And I agree, I would take your combo over ours. I really like Betts, but the fumbling is an issue and I'm not going to say he can turn that part of his game around like Tiki did until he does it. I don't think Sellers entered the equation though.

And my b&g glasses aren't on bud, ask fans of any other team. They'll tell you the same thing. Portis/Betts is a top 5 RB tandem in this league. I'd put money on that.

SI had us at #2 or #3 earlier on this offseason. And had Jones/Barber III as #4. Theirs was a top 10 RB tandem.

I would say the CP/Betts combo is up there, 5-6-7 range. Just my opinion though.

If it weren't for Barbers massive amount of TD's last year, they wouldn't sniff of a #4 spot. Like I said earlier, TD's are overrated in this game. Not the fact that they are TD's, but who gets them. Brandon Jacobs has many more TD's than Tiki last year. Who would you rather have on your team though?

TD's are a product of what kind of redzone system you run, pure and simple. But because so many people value them, they tend to overrate Marion Barber.

I like his style and all, but he has the most td's in the NFC, but he's not in the top 10 backs in the league IMO. Something doesn't jive.

I'lll say this, I'm extremely excited about the opportunities that having Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry, on the field at the same time, brings. However, I'm not ready to crown them as the best safety tandem in the league. Adrian Peterson could very well make a great tandem with Chester Taylor, but you can't list them at #2 considering you don't know what will be produced.

Agreed. I can't see how they could rank CT and Peterson #2 either, so I'm with you there, but I must say I'm excited to see AP run behind Hutchinson. That could be some serious bread and butter there all season long.

Not to change the subject any, but getting to the ST and LL thing. I see LL as another Roy Williams with better speed, but not exactly a cover guy by any stretch.

Plus LSU players have scared the hell out of me of late, I know we've taken our share the last few years, and they've all pretty much stunk.

It will interesting to see what happens.

So basically Maurice Jones-Drew got totally robbed of a Pro Bowl appearance this year, since his 5.7 ypc was by far the best of any RB this year. And how did Larry Johnson make the Pro Bowl this year? He only had a 4.3 ypc. Even Betts had a 4.7 ypc.

ProBowl is a popularity contest. You know that. It has nothing to do with performance on a football field.

I'd have to disagree with this somewhat. He played all of last season and only missed 2-3 games the year before. It was his rookie season that he got hurt in like week 6 or 8.

He wore down as the season got older. It was pretty easy to see. He'd sit out large amounts of time while Barber did most of the work. Especially in the 2nd half of the season.

By the same token, it would be unfair of me to say Portis can't stay healthy cause he missed most of last season last year.

You're right. But Portis was hurt since preseason. He missed half the season with that broken shoulder. But he's only missed those 8 games in his 4 year career here in D.C.

And Portis usually gets stronger as the year goes on when he's not hurt. 2005/06 season was a perfect example. 5 straight 100 yard games. Led us to the Playoffs, etc, etc. Same can't necessarily be said for Juice.

And thats all I was saying really, was that you could make an argument. And I agree, I would take your combo over ours. I really like Betts, but the fumbling is an issue and I'm not going to say he can turn that part of his game around like Tiki did until he does it. I don't think Sellers entered the equation though.

Agreed.

I would say the CP/Betts combo is up there, 5-6-7 range. Just my opinion though.

If it weren't for Barbers massive amount of TD's last year, they wouldn't sniff of a #4 spot. Like I said earlier, TD's are overrated in this game. Not the fact that they are TD's, but who gets them. Brandon Jacobs has many more TD's than Tiki last year. Who would you rather have on your team though?

TD's are a product of what kind of redzone system you run, pure and simple. But because so many people value them, they tend to overrate Marion Barber.

I like his style and all, but he has the most td's in the NFC, but he's not in the top 10 backs in the league IMO. Something doesn't jive.

Agreed. You have your opinion and I have mine. BTW, I think MBIII is a great back. I always tell my bro that the Boys should start him instead of JuJo. I think your offense better fits MB, and JuJo as a 3rd down back who can burst big runs occassionally.

You're right about that, but do you think Maurice Jones-Drew was one of the best RBs in 2007 and Larry Johnson was middle of the pack?

I watched alot of MJD because I had him on my fantasy team believe it or not, and the kid had a great year for a rook. Keep on eye on him, he's pretty darn good. Alot better than I thought he would be.

But LJ middle of the pack???? Insane. THere's not a team in the league (ok maybe SD) who he wouldn't start for.

He wore down as the season got older. It was pretty easy to see. He'd sit out large amounts of time while Barber did most of the work. Especially in the 2nd half of the season. .

I don't think he wore down so much as he just isn't very good. I'm not a big fan. A cool summer breeze at his ankles will bring him down. I think Barber got more work towards the end because Parcells was just tired of watching JJ go 3 yards and drop like a sack of taters.

. BTW, I think MBIII is a great back. I always tell my bro that the Boys should start him instead of JuJo. I think your offense better fits MB, and JuJo as a 3rd down back who can burst big runs occassionally.

I'm hitting the brakes a little on MBIII until I see a bit more. Granted, I've loved what I've seen so far, and I'd like to see him start, but I'm embarrassed to admit I thought Hambrick was the second coming of Emmitt after watching during Emmitts last year here. He was basically a 3rd down back and had some good runs, but when it was time for him to start, oh, god, the humanity. That dude STUNK !!!!

Ever since then, I've been leery of those third down backs. You know the ones that come in when its 3rd and 20 and the entire secondary is playing 20 yards deep and they hand the ball off. The rb is guaranteed a 10 yard run everytime, thereby making him look alot better than they are.

I don't think he wore down so much as he just isn't very good. I'm not a big fan. A cool summer breeze at his ankles will bring him down. I think Barber got more work towards the end because Parcells was just tired of watching JJ go 3 yards and drop like a sack of taters.

I'm hitting the brakes a little on MBIII until I see a bit more. Granted, I've loved what I've seen so far, and I'd like to see him start, but I'm embarrassed to admit I thought Hambrick was the second coming of Emmitt after watching during Emmitts last year here. He was basically a 3rd down back and had some good runs, but when it was time for him to start, oh, god, the humanity. That dude STUNK !!!!

Ever since then, I've been leery of those third down backs. You know the ones that come in when its 3rd and 20 and the entire secondary is playing 20 yards deep and they hand the ball off. The rb is guaranteed a 10 yard run everytime, thereby making him look alot better than they are.

Agreed on both terms. LOL at "a cool sumer breeze" taking Jones down.

However, I think MBIII will get an increased role in the boys O this season. He might even replace Jones for the starting job if he continues playing with the intensity and power he did with last year.

I watched alot of MJD because I had him on my fantasy team believe it or not, and the kid had a great year for a rook. Keep on eye on him, he's pretty darn good. Alot better than I thought he would be.

But LJ middle of the pack???? Insane. THere's not a team in the league (ok maybe SD) who he wouldn't start for.

You were judging RBs by ypc.

I showed that Jones-Drew by far had the best ypc at 5.7. Therefore he is by far the best RB.

Larry Johnson had a 4.3 ypc, which is middle of the pack. Therefore Larry Johnson was an average RB, and Jones-Drew was far superior.

Archived