Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Salary caps NFL vs. NBA

Spaceman Spiff

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Who do you think has the better salary cap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap#Salary_cap_in_the_NFL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap#.22Soft.22_vs._.22Hard.22_Caps

Some info to read up on.

IMO, I'm a fan of the NBA cap...we'll never see anyone like Darrell Green again, someone who spends their entire career with one team. If the Skins had an NBA soft cap instead there'd be no doubt that ST and Cooley would be Skins for life.

NFL by far. If the NFL had guarenteed contracts like the NBA, it would result in players becoming content and lazy. Much like we see in the NBA.

I agree with this, but are we talking contract structures or the cap? Guaranteed contracts should not happen in any sport. Players should have to perform to earn their money.

Too much player movement in the NFL. I would rather teams could go over the cap to be able to keep their own. I also like the luxury tax provision. :2cents:

Personally, I'm not a fan of ANY salary cap. Not the NFL one. Not the NBA one. Not the NHL one. I'm a fan of a system where teams are allowed to spend whatever they can and want to on players.

im sure you want owners spending 1 billion dollars on players :doh:

im sure you want owners spending 1 billion dollars on players :doh:

If they can afford it, that's fine. If some can and some can't (or won't), then maybe those who can't (or won't) should find some other business to be involved in.

So far as I'm concerned, sports are not about competition or parity. They're about WINNING, and using every advantage you can to do so. If that means spending more money than your opponents can, so be it.

I don't believe the NBA had a salary cap back in the days of Larry Bird and Co.

from the wiki link in the original post:

Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap

Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

Early Bird exception

This is the lesser form of the Larry Bird Exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents," and qualify after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater. Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons, but can last no longer than five seasons.

Non-Bird exceptionFree Agents who qualify for this exception are called "non-qualifying free agents" in the CBA, meaning they do not qualify under either the Larry Bird Exception or the Early Bird Exception. Under this exception, teams can re-sign a player to a contract beginning at either 120% of his salary for the previous season, or 120% of the league's minimum salary, whichever amount is higher. Contracts signed under the Non-Bird exception can last up to six years.

Archived