Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Landry Might Just Be The Right Pick

e16bball

At first, I was really worried coming into this draft about how we would get a pass-rushing expert. In fact, I even suggested that we should lose because it would increase our chances at acquiring Gaines Adams, who would provide us an instant remedy to our sack woes.

However, then I got to thinking about it a little. Do we really need a sackmaster at DE to get pressure on the QB, and to be an effective pass defense?

We were an effective pass defense in 2004 and 2005, ranking 7th in YPG (186.1) and 5th in Passer Rating Against (72.2) in 2004, and 10th in YPG (192,2) and 3rd in Passer Rating Against (70.1) in 2005. Compare that to the 23rd in YPG (218.1) and 32nd in Passer Rating Against (97.8) we put up in 2006. It's pretty clear that the lack of sacks was an issue, as we had 40 sacks in 2004, 35 sacks in 2005, and 19 sacks in 2006. However, I don't think it's clear that this indicates that we needed to draft a DL pass-rusher.

In 2004, we got 10 sacks from our DEs (Ron Warner - 3.5, Renaldo Wynn - 3, Demetric Evans - 2.5, Philip Daniels - 1). In 2005, we got 11.5 (Philip Daniels - 8, Demetric Evans - 3, Renaldo Wynn - .5). And 4 of those sacks came in one game for Daniels. Those numbers are pretty poor, and pretty similar to the 11 (Andre Carter - 6, Philip Daniels - 3, Demetric Evans - 2) we put up last season from the DE spot.

But if the problem with our 2006 pass defense was that we couldn't rush the passer with our crummy DL, why were we successful in 2004 and 2005, when the production was the same or even worse?

The difference, as it turns out, was not really in the pass-rushing ability of our DEs. The difference was in the ability of our OTHER players to get pressure on the QB. In 2004, the team had 40 total sacks, good for 9th in the league. In 2005, the team had 35 sacks. That means, given the above performance of our DEs, that our non-DEs had 30 sacks in 2004 and 23.5 sacks in 2005. Compare that to the 8 that those players pur up in 2006. It seems pretty clear that the lack of pressure that was so obvious in 2006 was not the fault of the DEs, at least relative to the previous years where we'd been successful.

Obviously, part of it was injuries. We were without Griffin and Washington for a period of time, both of whom were key pressure men for us in previous years. Springs also has been a good blitzer for us in the past.

However, I think the problem runs deeper. A lot of people here have wondered about the idea of a good secondary making the DL better. I think this will happen, in a way. I feel that last year, the blitzing style that was so effective in the past simply didn't turn into sacks and pressure, for two reasons. First, GW simply wasn't secure to turn the blitz loose too often. With such a poor secondary, he couldn't feel free to gamble and take the chances that he could in the past. Consequently, we saw our LBs and DBs forced to focus on pass coverage, leaving us with a 4 man rush far too often. Second, the coverage was so poor that even an effective blitz could be thwarted. When the QB could check down quickly and safely, or go quickly over the top just as effectively, the blitz simply couldn't get there fast enough. What once got us a lot of pressure was just an exercise in futility as our hideously poor secondary just couldn't cover long enough.

I feel that the additions of Smoot and Landry at NB and S, respectively, will provide us a secondary that A) will provide GW a lot of confidence, enough to turn loose his dogs (Marcus, Rocky, Springs, ST, etc.) on blitzes and B) will be able to cover effectively enough to give our blitzes time to hit home. We've got some playmakers, and that should be effective in limiting the ability of opposing QBs to trust their instincts and get the ball out quickly and confidently.

I'm not saying picking Landry will solve our pass defense problems, nor will he be a great run-stuffer. But when you look at the ability he'll have to be a playmaker and a huge upgrade over what we had last season, and you couple that with our other additions, I think he'll really help this defense get back to where it needs to be. And that's to a place where it's a ballhawking sort of defense that gets pressure from a lot of angles and from a lot of innovative personnel. Add in that he's the best and safest defensive prospect in the draft, and I think that's why he might just be the right pick.

He better be able to cover for a full 7 seconds along with the rest of our secondary because our defensive line is very old. It takes them a little bit longer to get there.....doh.gif

Well, that's sort of why I made the point about our DEs not making the sacks and providing the pressure in the past. Hoping that you wouldn't focus on the fact that Wynn and Daniels are old.

Griffin is 30, which isn't young, but it also isn't old. There's very little reason to assume that he's lost a step. Salave'a wasn't a passrusher to start with.

The entire point of the post is that Landry (coupled with the pickup of Smoot) allows us to get back to the complex blitz schemes we used in 2004 and 2005 that allowed the pressure to come from all angles, like from Marcus Washington or from Sean Taylor or from Shawn Springs or from Rocky McIntosh. By providing us a reliable safety net, a good secondary allows us to get pressure from blitzes, pressure we couldn't get last season because we couldn't afford to commit any of our back 7 to the passrush.

so, if Andre Carter gets 12-13 sacks in 2007 how does that change the opinion on what was done today? :)

Carter was a top 10 draft choice and is only 27 years old. The Redskins have a lot of money invested in him.

like it or not, Carter was in essence a #1 pick of the Redskins last offseason, a player they made an investment in and hoped would be the lead rusher for the near future.

now it is time to see if he is going to do just that :)

Bottom line: The Skins have picked in the top ten 3 out of the last 4 years, each time they have selected a DB with that top 10 pick....ST @ 5, CR@ 8, and now LL @ 6...why do you think they continue to pick so high in the draft? Working on your secondary will not cover up the problems with the DLine.

Bottom line: The Skins have picked in the top ten 3 out of the last 4 years, each time they have selected a DB with that top 10 pick....ST @ 5, CR@ 8, and now LL @ 6...why do you think they continue to pick so high in the draft? Working on your secondary will not cover up the problems with the DLine.

well sounds to me the secondary holes are finally plugged, our DLine only needs some depth IMO, I think we will address that tomorrow and after June 1st cuts.

well, part of the reason for the draft of the DBs is the mistakes the Redskins made in the backfield.

they let Smoot get away. then Springs started to show his age at 30/31. then the Redskins replaced Walt Harris with Mike Rumph and Co.

meanwhile, Carlos Rogers has had a much tougher time coming around at CB than anyone thought when he was drafted.

so, the Redskins were having problems in the secondary irregardless of who was playing up front.

personally, I would have taken Jamaal Anderson at #6.

I agree that getting younger and stronger on the DL is important for this team.

but the secondary hopefully has been fixed at least for the near future.

it is now a matter of getting the talent out of these guys.

This guy makes this thread and everyone says: I never thought about it that way- great post!

I stated what he did about 50 times before finally deciding to stop posting in the stadium until after the draft, but every time I did everybody told me I was a retard that wanted to build the defense backwards.

well, part of the reason for the draft of the DBs is the mistakes the Redskins made in the backfield.

they let Smoot get away. then Springs started to show his age at 30/31. then the Redskins replaced Walt Harris with Mike Rumph and Co.

meanwhile, Carlos Rogers has had a much tougher time coming around at CB than anyone thought when he was drafted.

so, the Redskins were having problems in the secondary irregardless of who was playing up front.

personally, I would have taken Jamaal Anderson at #6.

I agree that getting younger and stronger on the DL is important for this team.

but the secondary hopefully has been fixed at least for the near future.

it is now a matter of getting the talent out of these guys.

Nice points:applause:

BUT

No secondary can cover for 7 to 8 seconds and with our defensive line they will be asked too.

from sporting news insiders

6 (6) Redskins LaRon Landry S LSU

Pity every wide receiver on the Redskins' schedule. Washington, with Landry now paired with Sean Taylor at safety, have a fearsome duo that can cover deep and deliver hard hits with regularity. With Landry's and Taylor's unique talents, coordinator Gregg Williams' unit will be much tougher to game plan against. In-depth analysis

Since I just woke up after coming home from the draft day party, I wasnt aware that people had a problem with us picking Landry. I knew people would be mad at no matter who we drafted. Some people at the party were against drafting Okoye. This is a draft where there was no pleasing the majority unless we got Gaines Adams.

The immediate question from the Skins organization does not appear to be about sacks. It is about our defensive coverage. If Landry doesn't get an interception or fumble recovery, then was the pick worth it? I'll live with the choice because he is a great player, but don't ask me to agree with the philosophy. I know this will make GW more comfortable with blitzes. But as we all have heard, you live by the blitz, you die by the blitz. Personally I like a good front four DL. Hopefully the FO knows what DL's are possibly going to hit the waiver wire before the season starts, or maybe there is a sleeper still there in the draft.

This guy makes this thread and everyone says: I never thought about it that way- great post!

I stated what he did about 50 times before finally deciding to stop posting in the stadium until after the draft, but every time I did everybody told me I was a retard that wanted to build the defense backwards.

I was with ya, I stated in my Gibbs doesn't think the Dline is the problem thread that got blasted about three weeks ago. Too bad the search function isn't working or I would repost it so that people can see the warning signs of no DL where there for a while. They could have prepared themselves like I did. :laugh:

so, if Andre Carter gets 12-13 sacks in 2007 how does that change the opinion on what was done today? :)

Carter was a top 10 draft choice and is only 27 years old. The Redskins have a lot of money invested in him.

like it or not, Carter was in essence a #1 pick of the Redskins last offseason, a player they made an investment in and hoped would be the lead rusher for the near future.

now it is time to see if he is going to do just that :)

I'm not sure if this was a direct response to my OP, but I'll just share my two pennies on it.

If Carter gets us 12-13 sacks, the way I see it, that's a great added bonus, as long as it's combined with a resurgence in the pressure we get from guys like Griffin, Washington, McIntosh, Springs, Taylor, etc. I think the intricacy of the blitz packages we were able to use in '04 and '05 with a very solid secondary was the key, and we need to duplicate that.

But picking up a strong rush from the front 4 would be a terrific added benefit. Carter, IMO, is just as good a "prospect" as a guy like Anderson for us as a pass-rusher.

Archived