Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vintage Vinny Quote

Troy Fakeman

"When you're picking sixth, the biggest thing you don't want to do is draft for need," Cerrato said. "What you want to get at that pick is an impact guy, no matter the position. To take somebody of need that may go 15th or 18th instead of sixth is not smart."

From here:

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20070425-124307-5630r.htm

A lot of nubs on here like to blast Vinny (I'm one of them)...about his history, personnel decisions, trade & free agent management, etc. I do think, however, that he is "correct" in his reference of getting the best available athlete at this spot. If the Redskins valued the 2007 Draft so much...they wouldn't have dealt away their other picks. This leads me to believe that they will NOT be trading down.

Get what you can. Get the best available at that spot. Yes - we need a DE or DT...but we already have two veteran DTs...and drafted TWO DTs last year...and they both played "ok" in their rookie season...so I doubt Okoye at 6 is going to happen. Do you think we would have a total of 5 DTs on our squad that all want playing time? Nope. Welcome to DC, Mr. Landry.

Just my opinion - feel free to throw your punches and tell me I'm wrong :dallasuck

(For all of you Forum Nazis - sorry for any spelling and / or grammatical errors)

So, if by chance both QB's were still there. You'd take one?

Right. That's the thing that's so stupid about BPA at the top of the draft -- would the Skins really draft a QB? A running back? Come on. And Gibbs almost immediately backed away from Vinny's BPA by saying he's looking for players who fit the team's needs.

Vinny is totally out of his depth. No team drafts BPA at the top of the first round. It's suicidal. Imagine that you conclude that Landry is the best player in the draft, but you don't need a safety. Do you draft him #1 and sign him to a contract that's more appropriate for your franchise QB? No, you don't.

After day one, you ONLY draft BPA, but that's because the risks are too high in reaching.

Yeah I have to agree with this and Vinny.

These DT's and DE's we're considering at not worth the number 6 pick.

If we don't trade up for CJ or trade down then Landry is absolutely the best pick because he'll be the only defender on the board actually worth the number 6 pick.

So, if by chance both QB's were still there. You'd take one?

Well.. If J. Campbell gets hurt this year, i bet you're going to be the first to cry when #8 enters the field. Youll follow that by posting how we should've taken Quinn when he dropped to us in the draft. I honestly dont think the skins have Quinn above Landry in their grading, though, so this scenerio is likely not the case.

Right. That's the thing that's so stupid about BPA at the top of the draft -- would the Skins really draft a QB? A running back? Come on. And Gibbs almost immediately backed away from Vinny's BPA by saying he's looking for players who fit the team's needs.

Vinny is totally out of his depth. No team drafts BPA at the top of the first round. It's suicidal. Imagine that you conclude that Landry is the best player in the draft, but you don't need a safety. Do you draft him #1 and sign him to a contract that's more appropriate for your franchise QB? No, you don't.

After day one, you ONLY draft BPA, but that's because the risks are too high in reaching.

Of course you draft BPA. Why do you think the Ravens are so good at drafting? Because they don't get caught up in the need game. The season hasn't even started, so we have no clue what we will need this year. The only thing we need is a 53 man roster. Any person on this team could get hurt, and then we have a need there. Last year that need was on the DL. This year, the need could be at WR or S, God forbid. You win with talent, plain and simple. Picking a Laron Landry at #6 may not be the biggest need right now, but he is pure talent that will set up the secondary for years. The same could be said for CJ at wide receiver.

You've got to be kidding.

You don't draft Qb's in the 1st round, 2 years apart.

If we had later day one picks, then I'd understand a QB in the 4th round. A project guy.

But, there are worse things than having Brunell as your backup. Unless you have a Tom Brady/Garcia type thing. If you're starting Qb goes down. You're screwed.

The Chargers had Drew Brees. That didn't stop them from drafting Eli Manning, only to trade him for Phillip Rivers. Drew Brees turned into a good QB, but so has Rivers. Brees got hurt and the Chargers never looked back.

They were ready to give up on Brees at that point, and in the end. Still let him go.

vinny looked and sounded incredibly stupid. im baffled that someone employs this guy. and the fact he thinks impact players are only taken at high picks is beyond stupid. how many 1st rounds busts are there? and how many 5-7th round picks flourish in the NFL? lots of both columns, but vinny is too stupid with his scouting to understand this. if we had a great personel dept., we wouldnt have vinny saying dumb things like this in public.

i dont mind Brunell as a backup.. I bet he helps Campbell on the sidelines a ton. Theyre not going to draft a QB, though. I just get aggrevated when people go out of their way to disprove our teams theories or views. I was happy with pretty much everything said at the conference.

I like being different and doing things different then other teams. You either lead or follow, right? IMO, the Washington Redskins want to be trend setters. Theyre thinking out of the box. Cerrato realizes that there are many many ways to aquire players and that the draft is one single, overhyped option. Conceiving the draft as valuable to other teams could make the Redskins apathetic approach to the crapshoot an asset. Vinny will stay with this team because of his ability to coordinate and organize information between his scouts. I think you will find the Redskins drafting very well in the later rounds where other teams have failed to do their homework and ESPN has overlooked the real talent. So, someone wants next years #1 pick for CJ? Have it. Because we will be smart enough to find someone just as good in round 5.

*end rant*

I still don't understand exactly the whole Best Athelete thing. Don't we want the Best Football player? I know DT is not a glamorous position and not as stat heavy as a SS can be, but doesn't Branch have the resume to be that guy? The best football player.

You have to realize it's a balancing act not strictly a "BPA" vs. "Team Need" argument. The only two positions that we would not draft early are QB and RB, those are the only two positions that have a clear starter and backups.

If CJ, Landry, and Okoye are avalible at six you know darn good and well who we would be taking, and the guy won't help the 31st ranked D, why? because CJ is clearly the BPA and would fill a need, maybe not a top priority need but a need none the less. Now if Landry, Okoye, and Peterson are there at six then we would go D or trade down, why? because while AP maybe the BPA there is clearly no need for him at a spot where we have two sub thirty 1000 yard backs.

You never draft either way at anytime, you draft on if the BPA fits a need if he doesn't you move on to plan B, in our case we better hope plan A works with our recent history.

I love that quote, that made me easily believe we'll draft exactly who I wanted us to pick...Landry! Our D-Line could've been as horrible as it was last year, because of our CB situation. We had Kenny Wright in and Mike Rumph at times, and with these two not being top CB's, opposing receivers were getting open quicker, with that being said, the line wouldnt have enough time to get to the QB. We now have Smoot back, a young Rogers, and if we have a healthy Springs, our line should have more time to get after the QB. We had the same starting D-Line as we did when we made it to the playoffs. We added Carter though. We also had a healthy Salave'a. Our SS position wasnt solid either, and we all saw what happened to Vernon Fox in the Falcon's game.

Sorry about posting twice

I still don't understand exactly the whole Best Athelete thing. Don't we want the Best Football player? I know DT is not a glamorous position and not as stat heavy as a SS can be, but doesn't Branch have the resume to be that guy? The best football player.

I believe they said that at #6 they expect a Pro-bowl caliber player. Im sure Alan Branch is in that list of possibilities at #6. Beyond that, its up to the coahes to decide who they favor most given the attributes they talked about. How is Branch's character?

Do you think you might be taking him a little too literally? He isn't saying you take the guy you have graded the highest on your board. He is saying if your biggest hole is at Guard you don't necessarily draft the highest rated Guard on your board at #6. You take the BPA at a position you can use. The Skins are not going to take a QB or RB at #6 no matter who is there.

I believe that if we could retain our draft picks then you could draft the BPA. Since we have been on the "lets deal em all" kick, we basically have to draft for need. We have glaring holes on the d line and in the secondary, so those should be addressed.

I would draft Landry at safety, but with Taylor back there for years to come:fingersx: , how do we pay that much money to the safety position.

When Antonio Pierces' contract negotiations came up, we decided that we could not pay that man his moooney because we had already tied up so much in Marcus Washington and Lavar Arrington. How is this not the same thing? Don't get me wrong, the idea of having two aggressive safeties back there punishing receivers changes the dynamic of our defense, but we need the man throwing the balls to those receivers to feel the heat as well.

We pick Landry and sign him. How much will that cost at six? Will that signing hamper the resigning of Cooley? I know this is off-topic a bit, but how much do you think its going to cost us to resign that cat? If he's allowed to leave, I'm going with his cheerleader menage a trois having ass.

Do you think you might be taking him a little too literally? He isn't saying you take the guy you have graded the highest on your board. He is saying if your biggest hole is at Guard you don't necessarily draft the highest rated Guard on your board at #6. You take the BPA at a position you can use. The Skins are not going to take a QB or RB at #6 no matter who is there.

you take the BPA at your area of NEED. haha

Do you think you might be taking him a little too literally?

Definitely. This board has picked apart every single thing those 3 were saying. I think they were trying to give a good idea of what their mindset is heading into the draft. They didnt have to do that for us. But im certainly glad they did. Perhaps some statements weren't spoken as well as intended but.. you get the idea. Basically, theyre not going after need with #6. They still have FA and UFA to fill needs, aswell as later picks in the draft which they reassured to have done ALOT of work looking at who might be available at those spots.

Is it Saturday yet?

I love that quote, that made me easily believe we'll draft exactly who I wanted us to pick...Landry! Our D-Line could've been as horrible as it was last year, because of our CB situation. We had Kenny Wright in and Mike Rumph at times, and with these two not being top CB's, opposing receivers were getting open quicker, with that being said, the line wouldnt have enough time to get to the QB. We now have Smoot back, a young Rogers, and if we have a healthy Springs, our line should have more time to get after the QB. We had the same starting D-Line as we did when we made it to the playoffs. We added Carter though. We also had a healthy Salave'a. Our SS position wasnt solid either, and we all saw what happened to Vernon Fox in the Falcon's game.

Sorry about posting twice

As a fan of another NFCE team, I think I speak for Philly, Dallas and NY in saying, If the skins pick CJ or Landry it will be a good thing for us. As good a player as they're both projected to be you'd have to give next year's #1 as well as this year's to get CJ AND pay him a ton of money. As far as Landry, I just can't see taking a safety at #5, a CB at #9 and another safety at #6 overall in a four year period. There's a reason it's never been done before - you can find good players at safety and WR in later rounds.

As far as a healthy Springs, Salavea and Griffin, you will indeed have them healthy. At the beginning of training camp. Springs was injury prone when he was young in Seattle, much less now, 4-5 years later. Additionally, it isn't the same DL as the playoffs - they're older with many more miles on them.

IMO, the best situation for the skins would be to trade down a few spots and pick up a 2nd rounder this year to use on either a safety or an OLineman and use the 1st rounder for Okoye/Branch, or BPA for a position of NEED.

JMOs,

PF

Archived