Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The draftee's view?

roulette

Dunno if this if this is better here or the stadium, but it's generic, not skins related, so we'll start it here.

If you were a player, would you rather be drafted high or down a little?

My reasoning is this. Top draft selections get prestige and guaranteed money. But the top selectors are usually the worst teams from the previous year, barring any trades. Odds are, that the upcoming year or two for teams like the Raiders aren't going to suddenly turn around the franchise either. So, as a player, you'll have difficulty showing off your talents for the long term pay day, even if you're a #1 pick player.

To offset that, you're paid very well right out of the gate with high minimum salaries and bonuses.

So, which way would you rather go? Drafted high by a team that is a long term work in progress? Or drop some for less pay with a team that is closer to being a contender?

If I were a draftee I would need to ask the question "What country do I live in?" once I was told that there was a thing called "The NFL Draft," in which I had no control over my destination.

Imagine graduating medical school and receiving a letter that you were just drafted by a hospital in Green Bay.

"But I don't want to live in Green Bay, I'm from Kansas City and I'd like to stay in Kansas City. My wife is in Kansas City and we intend to raise our family there."

"If you don't go to Green Bay you cannot be a Doctor."

Doesn't seem right to me.

In answer to your question, I would want to be chosen by a good team that fell to the top of the first round because of a rare bad season. Less pressure, same huge contract.

It's hard for me to say not being in that situation, but I think I guess I would rather be selected a little lower, for a little less money, and have a better chance of winning. But then are we talking like later in the first round or in the second or what? I guess I would also want to go to a team that would let me play and that would factor in to it. Ah screw it, give me the money.

If I were a draftee I would need to ask the question "What country do I live in?" once I was told that there was a thing called "The NFL Draft," in which I had no control over my destination.

Imagine graduating medical school and receiving a letter that you were just drafted by a hospital in Green Bay.

"But I don't want to live in Green Bay, I'm from Kansas City and I'd like to stay in Kansas City. My wife is in Kansas City and we intend to raise our family there."

"If you don't go to Green Bay you cannot be a Doctor."

Doesn't seem right to me.

In answer to your question, I would want to be chosen by a good team that fell to the top of the first round because of a rare bad season. Less pressure, same huge contract.

To be fair....joining the NFL is like joining a private club and all incoming players (ie members) abide by the same set of induction rules.

Using the doctor example is not entirely accurate, because while there may be less attractive options you can choose to play football professionally in other leagues. One makes the choice to declare for the NFL draft, to apply for membership in an exclusive club. Seems like a sacrafice many are willing to make b/c the pros (money) outweigh the cons....

My assumption was a top prospect like CJ falling from top tier pick to middle of the first (10-20). Not actually out of the first round. The ideal of course, is to get a good team that had acquired a top pick via trade, but that ruins the hypothetical IMO.

To be fair....joining the NFL is like joining a private club and all incoming players (ie members) abide by the same set of induction rules.

Using the doctor example is not entirely accurate, because while there may be less attractive options you can choose to play football professionally in other leagues. One makes the choice to declare for the NFL draft, to apply for membership in an exclusive club. Seems like a sacrafice many are willing to make b/c the pros (money) outweigh the cons....

I understand that, and certainly that's the legal defense that has allowed every major American professional league to have a draft.

Personally, I think the NFL, though a private club privied to set any rules for incoming members, is a unique job opportunity. There is no viable alternative that would allow players the opportunity to earn a comparable living to the NFL.

My assumption was a top prospect like CJ falling from top tier pick to middle of the first (10-20). Not actually out of the first round. The ideal of course, is to get a good team that had acquired a top pick via trade, but that ruins the hypothetical IMO.

In the essence of your question-- top picks are bad teams, low picks are good teams-- I would still rather be a top pick. Teams in the NFL can rebound quickly, so there is plenty of reason to expect to win, and you still get the big-time contract.

I wouldn't consider a 6-year rookie deal either. Hit the market as quickly as possible.

Ignoring other considerations, I would want to go as high as possible, because you get the most guaranteed money that way. In a sport where your career can be ended with aone bad hit, I would want as much money as possible.

I would also like the challenge of being on a bad team. But given who I root for that should be expected :-).

I would also like the challenge of being on a bad team. But given who I root for that should be expected :-).

I had that experience in High School football and college rugby and the "fun" of the challange wore off after about the 5th loss. Maybe I was part of the problem? :)

Personally, I would want to be in mid 1st. Good money but not ridiculous expectations (as the first 5-10 picks have).

Fair point Westbrooke. But you also have to look at how long the 49ers were down at the bottom of the heap before last years climb out of the basement. Consider the odds of this being the breakout year for the Raiders. Or the Browns. I totally agree with your teams that have had a bad year or have made some progress recently.

But I think, personally, I'd rather make millions less that be a member of the Lions. On a better team, a top pick has more talent around them that reflects on them and helps them grow into the NFL. On teams like that, it's a lot more difficult to raise up the level of the team or demonstrate pro bowl talent to the league.

Archived