Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry! Griffin? Nelson? Merriweather? (edited)

coldpacker

I have no idea where this perception of Griffin has come from. The guy is extremely fast (ran a 4.37 at his pro day) and used to play corner for UT. He is a beast in coverage largely because he always arrives the same time the ball does. I believe he is actually weaker against the run than he is in coverage. Griffin likes to throw his body into tackles looking for the big hit and sometimes failing to wrap up. But he is excellent in coverage.

As for where he should be considered against Landry, I have no clue because all I know of Landry is that he is the second coming.

I'll pull out my draft magazines and go through them and provide quotes later today. But look doesn't mean they are right. But I have read Griffin is more a stuff the run safety then coverage guy. But maybe there is some stuff that contradicts that, I'll look for that too.

Edit:

As to Griffin I'll start with Kiper's draft book: "He is an outstanding tackler and is very good at providing run support in the box. His coverage skills where viewed as a concern." He goes on to say his combine numbers have allayed some of people's fears about his coverage skills.

Landry is a big play maker... him and Griffin have the most experience. They are all great safeties, but I think (from watching games) Landry is smarter and has a better nose for the ball. Griffin has just as much experience but I've seen him make big mistakes in games by taking too much of a risk. Nelson has a great nose for the ball from what I've seen but not a lot of experience and may need to bulk up a bit, he looks real skinny. I would go with Landry in a heart beat.

If weren't for charecter issuse Brandon Meriweather would probably be considered the top saftey in the draft. He is being touted as the next Ed Reed. That's not a bad comparison, plus he is from Da U. You know they always come to play every game.

Top 10 pick easily, he ran 4.52 and 4.47 at the combine, started several games in '04 at corner and did a pretty good job of covering the top player in the draft CJ, and he can tackle not just hit.

For the dude who tends to post on all the Landry threads about how off we are about saying he's good in coverage. And Landry is really just like Archuleta. All in fun, this is for you buddy:

"Total package. Can hold up in the box, in deep middle zone coverage and one on one vs, slot receiver. Fast learner and tremendous leader. They compare him to Brian Dawkins" (ESPN draft guide)

"Quick feet in man coverage, loose hipped for smooth turn with acceleration and catch up speed. Keeps good position on receiver. Good timing and leaping ability. Sudden ball reaction. Outstanding ball skills. Smart and daring with an attitude never to be beat" (Athlon Sports Draft Guide)

"Excels in all types of coverage. Can make plays along the sideline in deep coverage by breaking up passes or delivering hard hits. Consistently reads plays correctly and reacts quickly. Does not get fooled by play action fakes and misdirection plays, changes direction with burst. Gets outside quickly to make interceptions or break up passes. Gets physical with receivers when going for the ball." (Sporting News draft guide)

"Very instinctive to read run or pass and gets moving before the snap. Not beat often, but when he is, he shows excellent recovery skills." (Pro-Football Weekly Draft Book)

And a few posts above I posted the scout.com review of his which depicts him "as a complete player"

Landry is the most rounded of the three. All three will be great players, but if your defense calls for versatility, (mix-and-match, modular DB and Safeties) then Landry is the best of the three. A lot of defenses -- including Washington's -- happen to want a multi-faceted safety, and that's why everyone is interested in Landry.

Good post

I definetly agree with that, especially Reggie Nelson highlight reel.

Reggie Nelson is indeed a stud in coverage but he seems to have more holes: The rap on him is his sort of an Arrington type safety great speed, instincts and talent but not a smart player and has trouble picking up schemes, the free safety is often the guy in the backfield that understands the schemes like the back of his hand but Nelson some think will really struggile with that. Not as balanced as Landry from the stand point of being good both against the pass and the run but he is more of a stud than Landry against the pass based on reports.

"Questionable smarts. Failed to qualify academically and enrolled in a community college. Is not a quick study. Not very strong or thickly built...struggles to take concepts from the board to the field...Is very instinctive despite not having a great understanding of the defense, and his mental limitations will have to be overcome and schemed around." (Pro-football weekly draft guide)

"Much better in coverage than run support. Struggles to match up against the box. Not overly strong as a tackler. Questionable ability to direct teammates." (ESPN Draft magazine)

There was one draft size that was even more blunt about his intellect, I'll try to find that.

How is Merriweather not in the debate? If he didn't stomp on the guys head and Miami didn't stink he may have been the first saftey off the board. He can match up in coverage play nickle and he has a hit stick.

Reading all the draft geek stufff about the safeties, Merriweather strikes me as the next best bet. He seems like an even bigger stud against the pass than Nelson is, and can play corner if need be. And like Landry supposedly is and Nelson isn't, Merriweather is depicted as super smart.

How is Merriweather not in the debate? If he didn't stomp on the guys head and Miami didn't stink he may have been the first saftey off the board. He can match up in coverage play nickle and he has a hit stick.

I guess its because noone gets to see him talked about on tv that much. Kiper doesnt really talk about him that much.

Meriweather is in my opinion maybe the best all around S between him Nelson Landry and Griffin.

Griff is not an in the box run stuffer. He's known for his coverage skills and his punt blocking. He can lay some wood for his size, too. I'd love to pick him up with our second round pick. Oh wait..........

Went thru the reports on Griffin, actually his descriptions remind me of Taylor more than any other safety in this draft again assuming the reports are right. Most say he's great against the run and a vicious hitter. Some but not all say he's decent against the pass. Sort of like some of us think about Taylor some of us question his ability against the pass and some of us think he's fine. Like Taylor he doesn't seem like a disciplined player and his weakness is being fooled by play action.

And he might need to have someone direct him in the backfield as opposed to him doing the directing. But he definitely sounds like an intrigiung talent, I wouldn't cry to have another Sean Taylor like player in the backfield. Though, I'd prefer more of a smart well rounded safety and sounds like Landry and Merriweather are safer bets in that dept.

OK besides Kiper alluding to Griffin to being more of a run stuffer (I posted that already)

Athlon draft magazine has him described as strong agaisnt the run but pretty well rounded.

"lacks instincts and often gets caught flatfooted in the open field. Misreads too many pass routes and gets caught out of position... he will struggle with the mental part of the game and be terribly inconsistent" (Sporting News draft guide)

ESPN draft magazine likes him -- they say his negatives are "he lacks lower body strength, get caught peeking in the backfield, overpursues at times and takes himself out of tackiling position. Takes some false steps and needs to be coaches to improve recognition skills."

Profootball Weekley Draft Guide "Will come up to support the run and plays physical. Hits with force and can drive ballcarriers backward...gets beat in play action..can do a better job coming to balance and securing tackles in the open field..not great directing traffic...plays with tunnel vision and needs to be coached to play with some discipline."

I guess its because noone gets to see him talked about on tv that much. Kiper doesnt really talk about him that much.

Meriweather is in my opinion maybe the best all around S between him Nelson Landry and Griffin.

Meriweather's issues seem to be character, but he seems fine. Yeah I think he can be a scary good safety. Actually all 4 safeties we are talking about look like will be at the very least good.

Yeah, Griff definitely tries to do too much and he'll be over aggressive to the point where he can take himself out of plays. He recovers really well, though and he was a leader on defense for the Horns.

He's not a guy you play close to the line, he's more like Ryan Clark in that he's good in space. He's really more of a FS talent, but not near on Taylor's level.

Griff has made some spectacular plays in coverage, though. He's mostly in good position, just not as often as he should be. Plus he's a solid tackler. I think whoever picks him up will be happy with him. Especially if he can continue to block kicks on special teams.

Went thru the reports on Griffin, actually his descriptions remind me of Taylor more than any other safety in this draft again assuming the reports are right. Most say he's great against the run and a vicious hitter. Some but not all say he's decent against the pass. Sort of like some of us think about Taylor some of us question his ability against the pass and some of us think he's fine. Like Taylor he doesn't seem like a disciplined player and his weakness is being fooled by play action.

Taylor comming out was touted as a Saftey who could do it all. He had somthing crazy like 10 ints his last year at miami and was considered more of a ball hawk than a hard hitter. His negative thing was his character as well, hense Gibbs saying it was the biggest investigation ever or somthing like that where they talked to his elementry school teacher and dentist.

Nelson wood be getting talked about more had Ted Ginn Jr. not got hurt in the BCS Championship and Nelson shut him down and Florida still won.

Merriweather is hurt by his 2 off field incidents but people at the "U" that I know say he's a very smart and good natured kid. In reality he lost his temper in the FIU brawl but I would expect him to do everything the same except stomping on the dude if anyone tried to do that to a holder and the gun incident was completely legal by Florida law just not very smart. Some draft geeks probably think Merriweather is a product of a top 10 defense, down years for the program and the Miami secondary was stocked with talent like Kenny Philips and Randy Philips.

Taylor comming out was touted as a Saftey who could do it all. He had somthing crazy like 10 ints his last year at miami and was considered more of a ball hawk than a hard hitter. His negative thing was his character as well, hense Gibbs saying it was the biggest investigation ever or somthing like that where they talked to his elementry school teacher and dentist.

Gibbs statement was based off this being his first draft since 1992 and player's get investigated more than than they used to, taylor had no character issues at all while at Miami, I can't even remember him getting an unsportsmanlike penalty and I watched every 'Canes game. Winslow had the character issues with his "soldier" comment and the fact that he became very narsasistic and would scour the internet for articles about himself and that affected the way he trainede and worked out because he thought he was above it.

Meriweather's issues seem to be character, but he seems fine. Yeah I think he can be a scary good safety. Actually all 4 safeties we are talking about look like will be at the very least good.

I'd still take him with the character issue, because I think Gibbs could talk some sense into him like he did Taylor. I think if we got any of these 4 they would make a great tandum with Taylor in years to come.

Just my personal preference I'd take Meriweather.

I'd still take him with the character issue, because I think Gibbs could talk some sense into him like he did Taylor. I think if we got any of these 4 they would make a great tandum with Taylor in years to come.

Just my personal preference I'd take Meriweather.

I'd take him too though not a 6, if you can pick him up late first round and 2nd it will be a steal. What I like about him at least based on draft reports is he doesn't seem to have any holes, is great at coverage and a real smart player.

I'd take him too though not a 6, if you can pick him up late first round and 2nd it will be a steal. What I like about him at least based on draft reports is he doesn't seem to have any holes, is great at coverage and a real smart player.

Much agreed not worth the #6 (not many this year are). I hope that if we end up trading down that we take him in the late first round, because I seen some Mocks saying Philly or Dallas might take him and S.D. might also.

From what I've seen from him he does seem to be the most well rounded player out of all the Safties. Plus he can play corner so he would provided us double depth. Depth at S and CB. Lol

You know what lets just go and get the kid. Im on board lets go snatch Meriweather somehow. He is the next Ed Reed supposedly. Thats a lot of hype to live up to so lets just say he is the next Meriweather.

:cheers:

You know what lets just go and get the kid. Im on board lets go snatch Meriweather somehow. He is the next Ed Reed supposedly. Thats a lot of hype to live up to so lets just say he is the next Meriweather.

I want us to trade with the Pats and pick up another late first rounder we can get Merriweather and maybe Ross at CB since we need a young corner or you could take a reciver or an o-lineman if you want depth. If we have a lockdown secondary what we have at d-line might be enough to get pressure since recivers won't be open and opposing qb's will have to go through their progressions longer.

Much agreed not worth the #6 (not many this year are). I hope that if we end up trading down that we take him in the late first round, because I seen some Mocks saying Philly or Dallas might take him and S.D. might also.

From what I've seen from him he does seem to be the most well rounded player out of all the Safties. Plus he can play corner so he would provided us double depth. Depth at S and CB. Lol

:cheers:

All right buddy, am with you, do you have Cerrato's number? lets dial him up.

I want us to trade with the Pats and pick up another late first rounder we can get Merriweather and maybe Ross at CB since we need a young corner or you could take a reciver or an o-lineman if you want depth. If we have a lockdown secondary what we have at d-line might be enough to get pressure since recivers won't be open and opposing qb's will have to go through their progressions longer.

If we traded with the Pats assuming they are available I'd go with Meriweather and a D lineman with the other pick like Harrell or Anthony Spencer

All right buddy, am with you, do you have Cerrato's number? lets dial him up.

If we traded with the Pats assuming they are available I'd go with Meriweather and a D lineman with the other pick like Harrell or Anthony Spencer

I really don't care who we draft with the other pick I just want Merriweather but like you and I have stated in the last few posts the options are almost endless and we can acquire more help this way.

Archived