Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Job Fair worth it?

SkinsNoles21

Who would you bet on winning a 1 on 1 game: no rules?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you bet on winning a 1 on 1 game: no rules?

• Brendon
    • Etan

The Atlanta Braves are hosting a job fair this Saturday. Mutliple sports teams are scheduled to appear as well as some media outlets.

I am graduating in a couple weeks from FSU and attempting to get into sports media. I am more suited to be a sports writer but have some background in radio also.

Is this job fair worth it or just a big waste of time?

I would definatly go. I'm pretty sure that professional sports teams are a pretty close knit group. Therefore they may know someone who needs you... I'm applying as an intern with the Carolina Hurricanes as either a future job prospect or as a stepping stone for the Redskins...

The Atlanta Braves are hosting a job fair this Saturday. Mutliple sports teams are scheduled to appear as well as some media outlets.

I am graduating in a couple weeks from FSU and attempting to get into sports media. I am more suited to be a sports writer but have some background in radio also.

Is this job fair worth it or just a big waste of time?

Well you said media outlets will be there, and you're looking to get into sports media. Why wouldn't you go?

Yeah, how could it possibly not be worth it to at least try?

Isn't this exactly the sort of thing you'd be chomping at the bit to attend?

If you ask me, you owe it to yourself to go. You've probably been thinking about this career for a long time. Don't give up any chance at all to get into the business.

Go.

If you have skills of relevance, go.

It costs real money for these organizations to attend job fairs, both in their own time but also through payments to the event management company. They're not going to show up unless they are looking to hire people.

Do those folks have your best interests in mind? I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

I've found that if someone is familiar with your line of work but isn't your mentor, you'd better look out for Number One before taking what they say at face value.

It might turn out to be a waste of time. But you should never give up on an idea just because it might be a waste of time. If there's any chance at all that it could be worthwhile, and it doesn't burn any bridges or cause any other problems, you definitely should go.

Good luck!

Do those folks have your best interests in mind? I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

I've found that if someone is familiar with your line of work but isn't your mentor, you'd better look out for Number One before taking what they say at face value.

It might turn out to be a waste of time. But you should never give up on an idea just because it might be a waste of time. If there's any chance at all that it could be worthwhile, and it doesn't burn any bridges or cause any other problems, you definitely should go.

Good luck!

I dont think they are attempting to sabatoge me, most of them are older and have secured themselves an editor job at a newspaper.

What I am contemplating is that I dont just want to work for a newspaper or be a sportswriter, I could get involved in sports media in any way shape or form.

Why I am contemplating it so much is because I dont have much money and its a pretty descent drive.

however, i feel like I should listen to my fellow redskins first over all....

well I visit another message board(sportsjournalists.com) and the general feeling there was that it would be a waste of my time to go...These guys are all involved in the business, but not sports media, mostly just newspapers...

Unless you post specifics ... you're wasting our time. :)

Organizations don't go to job fairs 'cause they have nothing better to do. They are looking to hire certain types of people. If you don't want to do what they are hiring for, don't go. If you don't have the skills they are looking for, don't go.

If the jobs on offer and your skills are a good fit, why would you not go, unless you like unemployment?:D

I dont think they are attempting to sabatoge me, most of them are older and have secured themselves an editor job at a newspaper.

What I am contemplating is that I dont just want to work for a newspaper or be a sportswriter, I could get involved in sports media in any way shape or form.

Why I am contemplating it so much is because I dont have much money and its a pretty descent drive.

however, i feel like I should listen to my fellow redskins first over all....

Let me put it this way. You lose a lot more by not going and missing a good stepping stone into the industry than you do by going and coming home empty handed. If nothing else you'll get interviewing practice on the company's dime, which is never bad.

Just make sure you bring your best resume, and look and act professional. Even if it's basically just a practice run for you, don't make it look like it's a practice run.

Archived