Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pierson Preliou Vs Landry

JazzConcert

Did being weak at SS cause a leauge low total sack count and overall bad pass rush? No.The SS couldn't get to the QB? was that the problem? No.

or a horrible run defense? No....It's even worse if you plan to use the SS as the method for tackling the opposing RB because then he not only runs thorugh your DLine but also past your LBs...Your 8th guy in the box was the problem? The problem is that you need 8 guys in the box in the first place.

No, but maybe a weak secondary caused us to set a new record for fewest turnovers in a season?

I'm not saying we don't need help at defensive line because we do, especially defensive end, but we don't have a single starting-caliber strong safety on our roster right now and Landry is one of the best defensive players in the draft.

Our DTs are solid between Kedric Golston and the always dangerous Cornelius Griffin, plus Joe Salave'a is dominant when healthy. Andre Carter is a pass rusher, so all we really need is someone to step up at the other end and move Philip Daniels to backup.

At the same time, our secondary looks pretty good minus that glaring hole at strong safety, so don't be surprised if we draft Laron Landry.

I take it that he will be healthy this year. He is our starting saftey opposite ST. I know we also have Fox, and recently signed Stoutmire. I also know Landry is a great prospect, but based on need, as everyone is saying, i.e. Mel Kiper, why do we want another safety? I just dont get it. Someone explain why we want to carry 5 safties next year when we dont even have 2 decent Defensive ends.

Thanks

Let's get the DT first and either in the later rounds of this draft or, yes, wait until next draft in '08 for a bonifide DE.

I wouldn't be surprise to see Springs make a splash as a Safety this season along with playing some CB.

Prioleau is as much a liability against the pass as Ryan Clark was, which doesn't bode well for us. We do need an upgrade at the other safety spot, but it's doubtful that the team will use the 6th pick on Landry. This DL of ours isn't getting any younger or any better, and the time is now to address that shortcoming.

Landry is a slower, lighter, not as good ballhawk, less big hitter then Sean Taylor. Only way we should draft him is to dangle him to ATL so we can grab a 2nd

Actually Sean ran a 4.5ish before he came into the league and Landry ran a 4.35. Of course he's no Grim Reaper but the guy is a beast and next to the Reaper both will only get better. Nobody can doubt the guy's physical talents.

Landry is a slower, lighter, not as good ballhawk, less big hitter then Sean Taylor. Only way we should draft him is to dangle him to ATL so we can grab a 2nd

Actually from what I read Landry is FASTER not slower than Taylor, a better cover guy and that's his niche, and a leader in the backfield and very smart ball player who sort of QB's the backfield. Rarely gets fooled according to several reports on misdirections, play action and trick plays.

Taylor is the bigger hitter and more stout against the run.

Taylor is a great player. It's arguable whether Taylor is a great cover guy he didn't seem to be at times last year. And play action seems to give him trouble. And Taylor is not a director in the backfield, he generally needs the direction so Landry seems to be a perfect complement.

I take it that he will be healthy this year. He is our starting saftey opposite ST. I know we also have Fox, and recently signed Stoutmire. I also know Landry is a great prospect, but based on need, as everyone is saying, i.e. Mel Kiper, why do we want another safety? I just dont get it. Someone explain why we want to carry 5 safties next year when we dont even have 2 decent Defensive ends.

Thanks

We actually have 5 Safties now with Doughty. Someone would be cut if we drafted Landry.

Nope! We don't need two super stars at FS and SS. I'll take Stoutmire to play next to Sean, after all he just came from starting on a team that was (1) sprint and a field goal away from making history for a Super Bowl appearance in their franchise history. That's all why because the man can cover. If our DL was shored up, I would say sure lets double stack the safety positions.

We have our super star at FS all we need is someone who can play and we have that in Fox, Prioleau (I don't know where members on this board get PP from) Daughtery, and Stoutmire...we don't need to go spending on something that's irrelevant or not a key ingredient to our current puzzle. I know one thing you better fix how play action affects our secondary because right now we don't have an answer. The Giants have a RB that goes at 6'3" and 240+ easy and that's just for starters... right now play action is killing us. Our inability to defend the run coupled with inconsistent pressure on the QB from the DL doesn't spell championship.

We also have a weak corner that we also need to fix so we can't be talking about beefing up safeties when we have holes all over the place. We also need to bring to the forum how are we going to deal with the Cover 2 and just what's the concept or the “how” in the way we intend on employing it.

Oh Fletcher can play, but unless we have that big body on the DL, he'll be caught in the wash and loss in the spin cycle, he won't be free to go sideline-to-sideline. Now you're going to call a Cover2 or Tampa 2 and ask him to run deep middle? He's huffin and puffin trying to get out of those OGs and Center's face from 1st and 2d down and on 3d and 3 to 4 yards to go, you call a Cover 2? Come on now that doesn’t even pass the common sense test.

That's asking a little too much, to ask him to run with a speedster down deep middle, and we'll get smoked. As members on this board have already alluded to, I don't think we have the personnel to go Cover 2. Couple that with a weak corner and we got a piss poor defense, again! I want to see him do great but right now #22 is weak. We can't leave the deep middle to Fletcher and it's unfair to ask him to cover deep middle.

• 8 months later...
Kipers on drugs. Skins need a pass rush. Gimme a sub par secondary with a killer pass rush anyday over having 4 deion sanders back there with no pass rush.

No way in a million years you take Landry at 6. No way.

Now that a million years has passed, would you take Landry now ?

Thanks

We have 2 decent Defensive ends...Philip Daniels has some good games and Andre Carter gets pressure.

sometimes its better to be lucky than good. we would be screwed without laron back there. that said it is time to upgrade at defensive end and possibly defensive tackle. both griff and daniels (more so daniels) are getting up there in age. we already started to get younger when we let go of wynn this year, i think next year we get rid of one or maybe both.

Archived