Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OKOYE vs BRANCH

laxpck

I personally think if we stay at #6 we take Landry. I think having 2 safeties of that calibre would also cause havoc. I think we'll address DL depth after the June 1 cuts.

But if the two are there and we have to pick one I say we go with Okoye.

this is why we are all praying you don't make general manager before the draft.

They both stink ... I want an impact player at 6 if I don't trade down ... either Landry or Ted Ginn, Jr. would fill the bill.

That's sorta been our problem over the past few years, swinging for the fences on skill positions but ignoring the guys on the line. The strength of the defense ultimately come down to how solid the line is. We saw that pretty clearly last year: Every RB who walked into FedEx seemed to walk out with a new rushing record, and I don't care how good the coverage is down field, but if you can't pressure the QB, he'll eventually find someone open.

We could definitely use a tall WR, and our safety situation could stand improvement, but overall, both those departments are OK. We were 29th against the run last year, and thats not OK. Our biggest need right now is to shore up our sieve of a D line.

Based on theories of conjecture and maybes, we have to trade down. This is a deep draft on the defensive side of the ball and trading down gives us a chance to get younger and better now and in the future. We still need to be able to pick up one of these guys in the first: Branch, Okoye, Anderson, Adams, Carriker, or Moss. These guys all have a good upside.

If we find no suitors, I agree with taking Okoye but looking to make his rookie contract a year or two longer than most. He is one of a kind.

Okoye - Playing College ball since he was 16. Right now aobut 6'1" 300 lbs (each mock has him at a different size). The only knock on Okoye right now is his lack of size. If Branch put on 20-30 lbs at Michigan, what do you think Okoye will do when he hooks up with NFL caliber strength and conditioning? The kid is one of a kind in terms of age. Nothing like him that I can remember from past drafts (in terms of actually finishing career in college @ age 19.) Finally he is 6'1". Lower to the ground, lower push off the ball, harder to"root out" and push back.

HAIL!

Yeah, I see the "it" with this guy, for so many reasons. If we are in fact in a position to get him on draft day, then I hope we get him. And I think his age gets understated. Heck, he's in a logical discussion to be a top 10 pick at 19 yrs old.

Fansince

No one in the history of the nFL has had 4 years college experience at the age of 19.

no one.

And in two years when Okoye is 330 lbs he will be the heaviest 1 gap tackle in the history of the NFL......my point being he will not be a one gap, he will just be the quickest two gap on the market.

not the point I'm making....strawman! that Okoye has 4 years by 19 is not earthshaking in my book and is almost no predictor to a 10-13 year career let alone future glories (e.g., pro bowl). it's a big...so what!

it's all unsupported assertion. make your case...you believe he will be quicker than sapp and every other human on the face of the planeent who choses to play in the NFL...prove it. otherwise it's just like all the rest of the "I like player X better...cuz...I just do!...besides...I saw it on a message board some place"

I would trade LINE push for BATTED balls any day of the week. Batted balls means you have been stood up.

nonsense. d-linemen are trained to get their arms in the air and leave their feet to obstruct passing lanes...we have seen this many times...once the pass is about to be executed and a sack is not in the offing.

the reality is that line push and obstructing passing lanes are BOTH part of the technique set.

FYI, here is a comment that Mel Kiper just made on his chat

Q: What highly hyped player do you see being a bust in the big leagues?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:21 PM ET ) Overhyped is tough to say, but I can give you some guys that are overrated. Guys that are overrated are Alan Branch from Michigan. Chris Houston from Arkansas. Aaron Rouse, S from Virginia Tech. Jonathan Wade from Tennessee. Scott Chandler, TE from Iowa. Allen Barbre. Brandon Meriweather, S from Miami.

You only put your hands up if you havent gotten to the QB fansince....if you are jumping in the air then you havent done you number one priority of getting into the backfield.

I want my D tackle pushing the guard back into the QB...not standing at the line and hoping he can jump up in time to batt the ball down....we already got plenty of those guys who cant push back the line of scrimmage.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:21 PM ET ) Overhyped is tough to say, but I can give you some guys that are overrated. Guys that are overrated are Alan Branch from Michigan. Chris Houston from Arkansas. Aaron Rouse, S from Virginia Tech. Jonathan Wade from Tennessee. Scott Chandler, TE from Iowa. Allen Barbre. Brandon Meriweather, S from Miami.

WOW KIPER JUST PROBABLY GOT 7 angry agent calls.

I say pick Okoye for a LONG-term contract, like 10+ years. He will be good to grow with the skins.

The knock on Branch is that he's slow and maybe just out for the big money. Will he be a Dan Wilkinson or a Tony Siragusa?

Okoye is young, smart, fast, and will get bigger. The only knock on him is his age. Can he play confident against guys who are 10-12 years older and with 10-12 years more experience? Next year will be a growth year for him, maybe use him to substitute. But in about 3 years, he will be a perennial pro-bowler.

Fansince

No one in the history of the nFL has had 4 years college experience at the age of 19.

no one.

And in two years when Okoye is 330 lbs he will be the heaviest 1 gap tackle in the history of the NFL......my point being he will not be a one gap, he will just be the quickest two gap on the market.

:doh: So you want this kid to pack on another 30 lbs after adding 20lbs from college to the combine?

Also, he's never played the 2 technique, he could very well be horrible at it.

As it stands he is a 'tweener 1 gap DT/DE, aka a Wynn clone. Not what we need to stop the run or get to the QB.

I was a big fan of Chris Houston until I saw how tall he was (5'9"), now I'm not so sure. He's stronger and faster than any of the other DBs, but his height is gonna hurt against these tall receivers.

He is NOT the double-team commanding, run-stuffing behemoth we need in the middle.

That's the point for me.

I'm an Okoye fan. And I understand the folks who say Branch takes it easy and just gets by on "big".

But I could see Branch demanding double teams, at least occasionally, from day 1. Can anybody really say Okoye will?

:doh: So you want this kid to pack on another 30 lbs after adding 20lbs from college to the combine?

Also, he's never played the 2 technique, he could very well be horrible at it.

As it stands he is a 'tweener 1 gap DT/DE, aka a Wynn clone. Not what we need to stop the run or get to the QB.

It has nothing to do with what I want. It has everything to do with NFL lifting regiments and nutrition...the kid is going to put weight on a 19 year old frame.

This pick has nothing to do with what we need right now. It has everything to do with what I think this kid will become. And he has the same chance as everyone else in the draft right now to be a success, 50/50.

You want just size...go get Turdell from Oakland.

I want a kid that is different than any other pick in the history of the NFL. I am going to coach him into a star.

When you look at all the question marks with Okeye and Branch being picked at 6, it's easy to see why the Bears backed off trading for that pick. I see Branch similar to all the Cleveland DTs selected in the last 10 years that got fat and lazy. The stakes of spending $20M long-term on a blob are enormous

Archived