Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Southern Methodist University speaks out against Intelligent Design

Sisyphus

The Discovery Institute, advocates for Intelligent Design and campaigners against evolution, rented some rooms at Southern Methodist University to hold one of their pretend conferences, and are a bit taken aback by the reaction of the science faculty there.

The link is to a well written piece in the Dallas Morning News:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/viewpoints/stories/DN-wise_05edi.ART.State.Edition1.44e6403.html

"We do not argue against the basic right to believe, worship and express oneself as one desires.

We are, however, vehemently opposed to the deliberate deception of presenting politically motivated religious viewpoints as science. It is destructive and antithetical to the usefulness of science, and history has shown that similar politicizations of science have been incredibly destructive to our moral, ethical and material progress.

We have a duty as practitioners of science to speak out against such deceptions, and we have done so. "

Well said.

You sound like one of those folks who think Global Warming is bunk. Darn, I thought you were better than that.

A 'pretend conference' is one supposedly about science but where no peer reviewed papers are presented, and the audience interupts the speakers with chants of 'Amen'. :D

I've got to admire your classic creationist debate tactic of attempting to change the subject to Climate Change.:laugh:

A 'pretend conference' is one supposedly about science but where no peer reviewed papers are presented, and the audience interupts the speakers with chants of 'Amen'. :D

I've got to admire your classic creationist debate tactic of attempting to change the subject to Climate Change.:laugh:

I never said I don't believe in evolution; evolution and a Creator of all things are not exclusive from one another as you might think. You are making assumptions, and you know what happens when you assume... ;)

This article could not have been more on point and furthermore, I'm glad to see it breaks from the often (unnecessarily) antagonistic approach many have taken publically in regards to this issue. As silly as the debate seems, that kind of antagonism only lends credence and power to this ridiculousness. Faith is faith, science is science. Please learn to be satisfied with your faith and stop trying to force faith be taught as science. It's really simple.

I never said I don't believe in evolution; evolution and a Creator of all things are not exclusive from one another as you might think. You are making assumptions, and you know what happens when you assume... ;)

I think we know you understand that and I certainly believe that the ideas are not even related and absolutely can stand by themselves. There is no reason why the idea of a creator and evolution can't go hand in hand.

However, that is not what a lot of people would have you believe and, if I'm not mistaken, this conference which the article references is one that attempts to reject and replace the idea of evolution with intelligent design or whatever they're calling it now. Therefore, and because they were acting like it's a science, I think it's completely correct to call it a "pretend" conference.

There is no reason why the idea of a creator and evolution can't go hand in hand.
Yes and no. That is your opinion, and there are good arguments either way.
However, that is not what a lot of people would have you believe and, if I'm not mistaken, this conference which the article references is one that attempts to reject and replace the idea of evolution with intelligent design or whatever they're calling it now.
You are correct. It should not replace it. And I think most Christians ( I can't speak for others) don't want it replaced.
Therefore, and because they were acting like it's a science, I think it's completely correct to call it a "pretend" conference.
Again, that's your opinion.

You're no fun Fitz. ;)

How about Cause and Effect. Isn't that how everything ultimately breaks down, including science?

Didn't mean for that to sound so snippy, so I'm glad you didn't take it that way. :)

I suppose you could say everything breaks down to cause and effect.

I know! I know!

Since NOBODY, on ANY side of the debate, can definitively prove how the universe started, what it IS, or where if anywhere it's headed ... why don't we all just agree that we just don't know yet?

Or are we just so afraid of the dark we need to plug in a nightlight? :)

I know! I know!

Since NOBODY, on ANY side of the debate, can definitively prove how the universe started, what it IS, or where if anywhere it's headed ... why don't we all just agree that we just don't know yet?

Because knowing is half the battle!

gijoe.jpg

Well that's the other half, of course. The third half is realizing that there are probably more than two halves.

Naturally. But we should probably try to remain practical.

Nightlights can only do so much.

I know! I know!

Because we don't know anything definitively until we study it. The other thing is that even things that most people think we know definitively we don't actually know definitively. Just as a simple example, I think everybody would agree that the sun is yellow, but how do you know that the sun in not in fact black, but that something happens in the act of us observing that causes it to change coloer?

Because we don't know anything definitively until we study it. The other thing is that even things that most people think we know definitively we don't actually know definitively. Just as a simple example, I think everybody would agree that the sun is yellow, but how do you know that the sun in not in fact black, but that something happens in the act of us observing that causes it to change coloer?

We know that for our local star the peak wavelength for radiation in the visible part of the spectrum is 570 nanometers. You call that yellow? :)

My Belgian nephews call it jaune.

Not sure how this follows from what I said.

My point was that since neither science nor religion can provide definitive answers at this time to the really big questions I posed, only theories, it's fallacial thinking to make up answers just so we'll ... well, have some. Like doctrinaire religion does on one end of the spectrum, and like hard atheism on the other.

Doesn't mean I don't think we should keep studying. I'm a big proponent of our keeping studying. I'm just a voice generally speaking out against filling in the blanks before we HAVE definitive answers, for whatever reasons we choose to do so.

Not sure how this follows from what I said.

My point was that since neither science nor religion can provide definitive answers at this time to the really big questions I posed, only theories, it's fallacial thinking to make up answers just so we'll ... well, have some. Like doctrinaire religion does on one end of the spectrum, and like hard atheism on the other.

Doesn't mean I don't think we should keep studying. I'm a big proponent of our keeping studying. I'm just a voice generally speaking out against filling in the blanks before we HAVE definitive answers, for whatever reasons we choose to do so.

I just can't imagine that we'll ever find the answers to those BIG questions. Though I would agree it's a hell of a lot of fun to try and find out.

Archived