Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of Radio: pilloried, bloodied, gasping for air

headexplode

I've been thinking about this as well. How many people in the 18-24 demographic are listening to music that was produced when they were 5? I know I'm listening to a lot of Classic Rock because honestly, with the exception of a few songs, today's music sucks. Luckily I can pick up a station from Raleigh that plays everything that rocks, 96 rock, who have their OWN morning show, not some syndicated crap like Bob & Tom or Johnboy and Billy or Howard Stern. We have a Clear Channel station in Greensboro that "plays everything that rocks" I cannot stand to listen to it, it's the closest rock station to me but it's last on my presets behind, a station out of Charlotte that I can only get in the southern part of my city, the Raleigh station stated earlier that I can't get in the west part of the city, and a rock station out of Danville, VA that I can only get in the north part of the city. That should tell the execs around here something.... Cookie cutter music sucks...

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0711,harvilla,76021,22.html

(this is a funny article, but if the pics aren't showing up just click on the link)

Hot Hot Heat

A graphical dissertation on the number one song in America

by Rob Harvilla

March 13th, 2007 1:12 PM

This is why "This Is Why I'm Hot" is hot: Because it's hot. There are of course other reasons the breakout single from Mims, a Washington Heights rapper who intends to carry New York hip-hop on his back and restore us to glory, is hot. It ascended to number one on Billboard's Hot 100, for example, and topped iTunes' singles chart as well. But consider these other, purer, more intangible reasons why it's hot, best explained by Mims himself over the course of the song. Where appropriate, we will back him up with visual aids.

harvilla.jpg

ironically he looks kind of cold

The most amazing line in "This Is Why I'm Hot"—and, even at this early a juncture, quite possibly the most amazing line of any song to see release in 2007—is "I'm hot 'cause I'm fly/You ain't 'cause you not." Brutal and unassailable in its simplicity. Consider the reasoning, first, of just "I'm hot 'cause I'm fly":

harvilla.jpg

Mims is hot because he's fly. But it raises the question: Does being hot guarantee one's being fly? "You ain't 'cause you not" would seem to clear that up:

harvilla2-dia.jpg

It would appear that fly and hot are interchangable. If you are one, you are both; if you aren't at least one, you are neither.

If you find completely overlapping Venn diagrams visually unhelpful, consider this tautology:

harvilla3-dia.jpg

If that's a bit pretentious, then maybe a blunt flowchart works best:

harvilla4-dia.jpg

The other remarkable, oft-quoted line in "This Is Why I'm Hot" is "I could sell a mil' sayin' nothin' on a track." Critics gibe that "This Is Why I'm Hot" proves precisely that; others muse on what Mims would sell if he deigned to actually say something on a track. Would he sell less than a mil'? Exactly a mil', as when he said nothing? Or a great deal more than a mil'? The song does not elaborate.

In any event, note that he can do those things, not will, which suggests he might not. As these claims and predictions are speculative, there are more possible outcomes; it seems reasonable to assert that Mims can't sell more than a mil' sayin' nothin'. Though we would love to see him try.

harvilla5-dia.jpg

Sonically, the most entertaining part of "This Is Why I'm Hot" is the first verse, in which Mims underscores his hotness by touting his skill at adapting to regional styles, as the slow, minimal, eerie beat morphs beneath him, sampling both "Nuthin' But a G Thang" and "Jesus Walks." In the Dirty Dirty (South) he makes the ladies bounce. He slows it down in the Midwest per their preference. He does it the Cali way in L.A., and in Chi, in addition to adeptly moving the crowds from side to side, everyone loves his fashion sense. (If you enjoy nothing else about "This Is Why I'm Hot," acknowledge the rakish, immensely appealing way Mims says the word attire.)

Our quarrel lies with "If you need it hyphy/I take it to the Bay," an homage to the Oakland–San Francisco Bay Area's relentlessly knuckleheaded and sorta wonderful hyphy movement, with its proclivities for going dumb, making thizz faces, ghost-riding the whip, etc. (Yahdidabooboo.) But unlike Mims's other geographical shout-outs, that's all he says here—"I take it to the Bay/'Frisco to Sac-town/They do it e'y'day." First of all, no one calls it "Frisco" except rhyme-starved rappers, and the only worthwhile MCs living anywhere near Sacramento are in prison. But even worse, there's no style adjustment here—he just takes it to the Bay. This is wholly insufficient for hotness—several entities that take it to the Bay do not qualify:

harvilla6-dia.jpg

The song's other two verses are a relative letdown—Mims can get chopped birds by the flock, he's got money in the bag, he coordinates his outfits, he compels you to Google the word guap, people tend to like how he records, he's into big spendin', bah. He does intimate that we will find him "with different women" that we personally have "never had," which is awfully gentlemanly of him, really. Since we're feeling charitable we'll assume all of Mims's women are hot; with regard to our own conquests, it's best to be honest with ourselves.

harvilla7-dia.jpg

Though a fantastic song, "This Is Why I'm Hot" verily reeks of Skee-Lo. It's so distinctive and goofy that no follow-up could possibly do it justice. But even if Mims is not built for endurance, he has given us an invaluable gift nonetheless—reclaiming and re-energizing the word hot after years of abuse. Plumbing one's memory (with a bit of Internet aid) reveals how even reputable musicians have overused the "I'm hot like _____" construction. Behold:

harvilla8-dia.jpg

Yes. Mere mortals are hot like other people or things; having ascended to a higher plane, Mims is hot like Mims. It doesn't get hotter than that.

Radio doesn't sell records, radio sells tires and french fries. It has been this way since well before the internet. It is the co-opting and subjugation of art (music) at it's basest level and it (radio) always has been. Additionally, DJs are among the lowest forms of human life any of us are likely to encounter...just above personal-injury lawyers, just below crack-whores.

If the music you like is played on the "radio"...It ****ing sucks! Period!

Could you expand on that thought for me please?

He means the 'Conneticut School of Broadcasting' turned him down, even for their correspondence courses. :)

A good DJ, like any good broadcaster can do an incredible amount for their subject matter of interest. Two DJs I mentioned earlier in the thread, John Peel and Dave Fanning, did more for British and Irish rock music than anyone else in the last thirty years.

One of my favorite books on the subject of media monopolization is the aptly titled "The Media Monopoly," by Ben Bagdikian. It is one of the more well-known books on this topic, and there's a reason why. It's very insightful and well-researched and is approached from more of a middle-of-the-road perspective. Plus, he's not overly verbose and actually makes the reading interesting. This is an updated version, which I've yet to read.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Media-Monopoly-Ben-Bagdikian/dp/0807061875/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7611428-0475266?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175876650&sr=8-1

Another book that takes a broad perspective on media and specifically how it is used to convey propaganda (also simply titled) is "Propaganda," by Jacques Ellul. This is one of the most depressing books I've ever read, but it's points are very interesting and differ from a lot of things I've read on the subject--including the idea that those that consider themselves well-read and educated are the most susceptible to propaganda. It's a harder read, but well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Propaganda-Jacques-Ellul/dp/0394718747/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-7611428-0475266?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175876944&sr=8-3

Could you expand on that thought for me please?

One word...Leech.

A good DJ, like any good broadcaster can do an incredible amount for their subject matter of interest. Two DJs I mentioned earlier in the thread, John Peel and Dave Fanning, did more for British and Irish rock music than anyone else in the last thirty years.

Self-serving tripe...any pimp does more for his ho's than any DJ ever did for rock music.

Self-serving tripe...any pimp does more for his ho's than any DJ ever did for rock music.

You're an ignorant fool. When Peel died, artists from all over recognized his contribution:

Jarvis ****er, as one example, said:

"John was a launchpad for a thousand careers, including mine. No one in any medium could match his influence as a supporter of new talent … without commercial interest or intent. Someone who attempted to please nobody but himself ended up forging one of the most profound links with his listeners in the history of broadcasting. He was an ordinary bloke with an extraordinary love for music. I and many others will never forget him."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/tributes/artists/

Radio doesn't sell records, radio sells tires and french fries. It has been this way since well before the internet. It is the co-opting and subjugation of art (music) at it's basest level and it (radio) always has been. Additionally, DJs are among the lowest forms of human life any of us are likely to encounter...just above personal-injury lawyers, just below crack-whores.

If the music you like is played on the "radio"...It ****ing sucks! Period!

That latest statement is way way overly broad, and seems borne of either rage or snobbery.

I know I'm listening to a lot of Classic Rock because honestly, with the exception of a few songs, today's music sucks.

WRONG.

There are so many great artists out there that aren't played on the radio that it's mind-boggling. If people our age would stop listening to "classic rock" and go out and support local, relevent, and talented musicians it would make a really big difference.

XM, Sirius, iPods, YouTube, iTunes, and hopefully this settlement will spell the death of the 1996-2007 radio crapfest.

You're an ignorant fool. When Peel died, artists from all over recognized his contribution:

Jarvis ****er, as one example, said:

"John was a launchpad for a thousand careers, including mine. No one in any medium could match his influence as a supporter of new talent … without commercial interest or intent. Someone who attempted to please nobody but himself ended up forging one of the most profound links with his listeners in the history of broadcasting. He was an ordinary bloke with an extraordinary love for music. I and many others will never forget him."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/tributes/artists/

Wow! So nice things were said about him in a eulogy?!? What a revelation! And here for years, I've been going to funerals and pointing out all the reasons why the various deceased were better off dead. No wonder I got all those strange looks. In the future, at funerals, I will accentuate the positive aspects and I owe it all to you...leech.

I love this thread. I love music and it has been a big part of my life professionaly and personally. It's not just the creativity and quality of the programming that I miss on standard broadcast radio. I think about the local connections of people you run into who are listening to the same regional independents and talking about new releases actually worth talking about. Even great internet stations, IME, are shared with less than a handful of those you know locally.

WRONG.

There are so many great artists out there that aren't played on the radio that it's mind-boggling. If people our age would stop listening to "classic rock" and go out and support local, relevent, and talented musicians it would make a really big difference.

XM, Sirius, iPods, YouTube, iTunes, and hopefully this settlement will spell the death of the 1996-2007 radio crapfest.

The government should not have anything to do with content. The content will diversify as ownership diversifies, and that's where the efforts should be focused. Break the monopoly and you will have smaller, independent stations who take risks and do things more for art and/or the public good than for money.

That being said, the issue of payola does directly contradict the idea that these corporate stations "just play what the public wants to hear." Bull****. They tell the public what they want to hear and then beat them over the head with it until it becomes accepted.

I love this thread. I love music and it has been a big part of my life professionaly and personally. It's not just the creativity and quality of the programming that I miss on standard broadcast radio. I think about the local connections of people you run into who are listening to the same regional independents and talking about new releases actually worth talking about. Even great internet stations, IME, are shared with less than a handful of those you know locally.

I totally agree. I miss that connectedness that you just don't get from the internet or satellite radio.

Wow! So nice things were said about him in a eulogy?!? What a revelation! And here for years, I've been going to funerals and pointing out all the reasons why the various deceased were better off dead. No wonder I got all those strange looks. In the future, at funerals, I will accentuate the positive aspects and I owe it all to you...leech.

So you stand by your comments that John Peel and Dave Fanning were leeches? :doh: Self-centered rock and roll artists spontaneously offering tributes?

The strange looks for all these years are probably because you're an ignorant fool. :laugh:

So you stand by your comments that John Peel and Dave Fanning were leeches? :doh: Self-centered rock and roll artists spontaneously offering tributes?

The strange looks for all these years are probably because you're an ignorant fool. :laugh:

I stand by this comment..."DJs are among the lowest form of human life. Just above PI lawyers, just below crack-whores"

And I know I'm a fool. Do you know that you're a leech?

I stand by this comment..."DJs are among the lowest form of human life. Just above PI lawyers, just below crack-whores"

And I know I'm a fool. Do you know that you're a leech?

I wonder how long this pissing contest will last. :laugh:

you know headexplode, surprisingly enough i agree with what you said. there are alot of the new "mainstream" music, that i really can not stand. But much to your discomfort i actually seriously enjoy Linkin Park, im not a cutter, but i just really like the flow of their music and just enjoy listening to them. It had nothing to do with anything that the corporate media shoved in my face, or tried to brainwash me or anything like that. I had some underground LP songs before Hybrid Theory(first album) had ever came out. But all in all i agree with you. i didnt wanna start some serious b/s over this whole thing.

Music is a choice, just like freedom of speech. Everybody has their own taste and thats what makes us all different.

I saw this years ago and bolted for XM/Sirius.

Though this is mostly about rock.R&b is totally garbage now, what statons that cater to the 15-24 demographic.Nothing for people over the age of thirty.As mentioned ealrier the Clear Channels and Radio One's of the wolrd have made the days of OK 100 and Melvin Linsey seem distant.

Archived