Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regarding the OFF-field behavior of NFL players

Skins Addict

Except, we've seen stars rarely get "special" treatment. For the most part incidents involving athletes take on a life of their own, far surpassing the treatment similar incidents with normal people would take. As an example, you've NEVER read, ever, about a group of buddies out celebrating who get rowdy and are cited for drunk in public or lewd behavior.

But you know all about the Love Boat.

You've never seen a case with no evidence whatsoever dragged out so long as the Taylor case -- and the Duke Lacrosse case -- where normal people would have LONG been through the issue. I actually don't believe if I were arrested for getting in a fight at a bar that my work would either KNOW about it or DO anything about it.

It's been some time since athletes were treated with kid gloves in any way beyond some grade benefit for being the man during school years. As a society we hold them to a standard well above the standard we hold any other group of people. Maybe this is right. Maybe this is wrong. But, let's not pretend the suggestion that a guy who has a few drinks and drives home should not be subject to penalties beyond the legal penalties associated with that risk behavior is suggesting they should be treated differently.

There is some merit to say the loss of hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars for behavior most get off with a fine is anything but special treatment.

i agree with what you are saying. my point is that being "the man" causes young athletes (some not all) to have a stunted psychological maturity. then with the loot the pros bring its a recipe for disaster. there is a reason that most if pro leagues have rookie orientation classes.

Exactly. What's one of the funniest(and stupid) things in the game today? A team is down 2-3 scores, the losing team scores a TD and celebrates!! How does one have the gall to do that? That would seem embarrassing to me.

Also, this applies to tackles too. How many times do we see a guy make a routine tackle on Special Teams only to jump up and down for 2-3 minutes?? Dude, you did your JOB. Now get off the field so your defense can get on it.

I mean it's one thing to show emotion in a playoff game but we're talking regular season games and celebrating just because for once, you executed a play properly.

DieHard's right...Gimme a break.

I was looking for a way to say the exact same thing....THANK YOU!

Nowthat.jpg

You want to get rid of the off-field CRAP that these players (including two of our own now) are doing, it's very simple....

The NFL needs to suspend any player who is involved in an off-filed incident without pay until the entire legal process for the issue is resolved.

That means if Joe Smith, the Pro-Bowl linebacker and franchise player for a team gets a DUI the Sunday night after the first game of the season and it can't be resolved until the next February due to legal backups, he loses the entire season and all but that first game's paycheck. He would be barred from being involved in ANY team activity, meeting with coaches or other team officials, and all other team-related activities until the charges were resolved.

If you truly want to end this off-field CRAP, that's how you do it.

And regarding the Fun Bunch... should you ever purchase Doc Walker's book and find out the real reason behind the celebratory end zone dance.... I'm sure you'll be surprised by the inspiration. It had nothing to do with showing up your opponent or camera face time.
I dont think i ever mentioned "showing up your opponent" or "camera face time" I never even talked about motivations for celebrating. What you say actually proves my point. in todays NFL, the fun bunch celebration would be illegal and result in a 15 yard penalty every single time.

The point is that, honest good-spiritied celebrations are illegal now. The NFL doesnt care why you are celebrating, they just tell the players it not allowed. In the past this was note the case and noone seemd to care, yet people care now?

You have a game where the players are asked to put all their emotions and engery into each and every play. Then when they score they are told not to let out any of the emotions that they are asked to play with. It just doesnt make sense. Yes cell phones are no good and some guys are like LT or Barry and dont need to celebrate. However, what was wrong with the Fun Bunch or the Dirty Bird, or the Bob n Weave.

Whats next? In Golf we will get rid of the arm pump, no celebrating after a goal in soccer, or how about no high fives in basketball?

You want to get rid of the off-field CRAP that these players (including two of our own now) are doing, it's very simple....

The NFL needs to suspend any player who is involved in an off-filed incident without pay until the entire legal process for the issue is resolved.

That means if Joe Smith, the Pro-Bowl linebacker and franchise player for a team gets a DUI the Sunday night after the first game of the season and it can't be resolved until the next February due to legal backups, he loses the entire season and all but that first game's paycheck. He would be barred from being involved in ANY team activity, meeting with coaches or other team officials, and all other team-related activities until the charges were resolved.

If you truly want to end this off-field CRAP, that's how you do it.

Umm, Innocent untill proven guilty? This is what our country is built on.

Umm, Innocent untill proven guilty? This is what our country is built on.

We're not talking about guilt or innocence. We're talking about getting these twenty-something, multi-millionaires, who think they can still act like infants and disregard whatever law and tradition of society they want because there won't be any real consequence to act like reasonable, civilized, ADULTS.

I could never actually own or operate an NFL franchise, because contracts would actually include morals clauses, and that would mean I'd be unlikely to be able to field a 53 man roster on any particular week due to suspensions of players for off-field activities. At least I'd save a whole lot in salaries though.

The fun bunch did a team High 5 in the endzone, that is a 15 yard penality in todays NFL. The rules are a joke, the league wasnt classier back in the day, it was fun and now it is not fun

The team celebration rule was created because of the Fun Bunch, the Cowboy's complained and got a rule put in to remove it.

What if he is wrongfully accused? If you really want to see the money grubbers come out of the woodwork then institute your solution and all of a sudden every Tom, Dick and Harry will be coming out of the slime to accuse a player of something knowing that if this gets dragged out in court he stands to lose a year or two of wages. The players will settle knowing that even if he fights it and is found not guilty he still stands to lose a ton of money.

I saw a report a few years back that showed that a pro athlete is no more likely, percentage-wise, to be arrested than the rest of the population but everybody notices because it is so widely publicized.

As for the celebrations I'm fine without them. I would rather see no celebrations at all than see some guy gyrating after making a big hit on a 20 yard gain. I really don't need to see a dance on every single play which, as much as you guys complain about celebrations being removed, happens.

What if he is wrongfully accused? If you really want to see the money grubbers come out of the woodwork then institute your solution and all of a sudden every Tom, Dick and Harry will be coming out of the slime to accuse a player of something knowing that if this gets dragged out in court he stands to lose a year or two of wages. The players will settle knowing that even if he fights it and is found not guilty he still stands to lose a ton of money.

I saw a report a few years back that showed that a pro athlete is no more likely, percentage-wise, to be arrested than the rest of the population but everybody notices because it is so widely publicized.

Personally, here's where I'm coming from....

So far as I'm concerned, the moment you become a celebrity, whether as an athlete, singer, politician, etc... you immediately need to realize that you're going to be a target for everyone looking for their 15 minutes of fame and a chance to stick their hands into your wallet. My feeling is that, at that moment, you need to start dealing with your life as if every single decision, personal interaction, and thing you do needs to be viewed through that lens.

For example, let's say you're a young former first round (top 5) draft pick who is very well known. Now somebody goes and steals an all-terrain vehicle from you. You're pretty sure you know WHO it is that stole it. Do you.... Call the POLICE? or do you take a firearm, go confront the person, and possibly end up in serious legal trouble? If you're smart you call the police. If you were REALLY smart you would have moved out of the sort of neighborhood where that sort of thing could have happened when you got your signing bonus a year or two earlier. Now, if you're Sean Taylor, you pick up the gun and head over to retrieve your property.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if you're a celebrity you need to be sure you don't put yourself in the position to have people make reasonably plausible charges against you. If Suzie Scumball wants to claim that she's pregnant by you, you should be able to quickly prove that you've never actually met her; or if you have, that you were never in a position to have impregnated her. I don't think it's that difficult of an issue to understand.

I used to do choreographed celebrations for 2-3 minutes at work every time I did something good (like show up on time, not piss off clients, solve some problem, finish a project on budget, etc…). When I was particularly enthused I’d slam office equipment on the floor. Once I took out a sharpie and tried to sign the secretary’s breasts. Eventually my boss requested that I curtail such activities. Now I drink to excess (and drive fast afterwards), beat my wife, and occasionally entice my friends to shoot people in clubs. Boy do I miss the good ‘ol days when I had an outlet for my exuberance.

We're not talking about guilt or innocence. We're talking about getting these twenty-something, multi-millionaires, who think they can still act like infants and disregard whatever law and tradition of society they want because there won't be any real consequence to act like reasonable, civilized, ADULTS.

I could never actually own or operate an NFL franchise, because contracts would actually include morals clauses, and that would mean I'd be unlikely to be able to field a 53 man roster on any particular week due to suspensions of players for off-field activities. At least I'd save a whole lot in salaries though.

I understand this. However this country has a legal system for a reason. If you were arressted for a crime, got fired, had to give back money, and then were found not guilty, you would not be very happy.

I do agree some of the players are out of control, but let the teams decide if they want them or not, not the league.

The legal system is there for a reason, if a player messes up bad enough, they get found guilty and then cant play, thats fine. But if you want to just get rid of any player accused of a crime, that is not american. That is not constitutional.

As for the celebrations I'm fine without them. I would rather see no celebrations at all than see some guy gyrating after making a big hit on a 20 yard gain. I really don't need to see a dance on every single play which, as much as you guys complain about celebrations being removed, happens.
This is an interesting point. I agree there are alot of un needed celebrations on plays that dont matter or in the very situation that you stated.

The problem is that the league has gone about getting rid of the wrong celebrations. A touchdown is a big deal, it doenst happen very often for most players. Usually less than once a game even if you are a star, save for LT. Let them celebrate the scores. Make a rule that doesnt allow celebrations on minor plays, im all for it, on major plays though, let the guys enjoy the game.

I agree 100% with you on the wrongfully accused issue

This is an interesting point. I agree there are alot of un needed celebrations on plays that dont matter or in the very situation that you stated.

The problem is that the league has gone about getting rid of the wrong celebrations. A touchdown is a big deal, it doenst happen very often for most players. Usually less than once a game even if you are a star, save for LT. Let them celebrate the scores. Make a rule that doesnt allow celebrations on minor plays, im all for it, on major plays though, let the guys enjoy the game.

You know the NFL hasn't made celebrating illegal right? You know you can spike the football right?

You just can't use props or have choreographed dances with anybody other than yourself.

That's what people are pining for?

Touchdown celebrations have nothing to do with off the field behavior. These men are not children looking for attention. The off the field incidents are caused by a minority of young players that came from underprivileged backgrounds and have now been given millions of dollars. I think Goodell is on the right track by putting together that 6-player advisory committee. Goodell does not know what it is like to be a minority and come from poverty and then possess millions of dollars all of a sudden. But his advisory panel can relate and they can help him truly assess each situation as they arise. I like what he is doing and fully support the lifetime ban after a thorough assessment of a players past and current behavior. :applause:

You know the NFL hasn't made celebrating illegal right? You know you can spike the football right?

You just can't use props or have choreographed dances with anybody other than yourself.

That's what people are pining for?

There are strange rules, it is not nearly as simple as you say.

1. Celebrations are limited to 1 player----the redskins got flagged for Lloyd picking moss up after a td

-------------however for some strange reason, all the gaints were allowed to do "ballin"

2. Cannot be preplanned

3. No props

4. No goal posts......except you can "dunk" the ball through the uprights..this rule was created for mcnabb

5. No fan interaction except the Lambue (sp) Leap.

6. No taunts, neck slashing, ect

-some of these rules are good, some are not. Limiting the amount of players invovled is not a good rule, i am sorry, football is a team sport. Why can a player not use the goalpost? why is it ok to dunk the ball but not to run into the goal post? Why is it ok to dance like crazy after a sack but not after a TD. The rules dont make sense.

Lastly sports are entertainment. You cannot tell me that chad johnson does not add to the entertainment of a football game, with his football skills and his side comedy

The NFL needs to start taking better care of their

players OFF the field. John Madden would agree with

that. But unfortunately, the NFL is trying to control

ON-field things such as touchdown celebrations and

player emotions. The NFL is taking the fun out of the

game. Football is a game, and it should be fun. Joe

Gibbs would agree with that.

It's no wonder players are getting in trouble OFF the

field - it's because they aren't allowed to have any

fun ON the field. To me, it is so obvious. Please

bring back the fun celebrations, and stop all these

chicken **** penalties for "excessive celebration".

(Joe Gibbs calls them "Mickey Mouse" penalties).

PLEASE Tell me you DON'T really believe this. Please. You can't HONESTLY believe one HAS TO DO with the other.

Really.

So dudes are driving drunk, "making it rain", beating their wife, getting in fights in clubs, among many other things all b/c they can't do an endzone cely' or spike the ball all over the field?...

:no:

:laugh: :silly:

Can't dance after a TD......then get arrested.

Wonder if the NFL could have a "weekend work release" team?

;)

Lastly sports are entertainment. You cannot tell me that chad johnson does not add to the entertainment of a football game, with his football skills and his side comedy

Watch me.

Chad Johnson doesn't add entertainment to the game with his endzone celebrations. Those celebrations were ridiculous and selfish.

If you like seeing grown men dance around and act like a kid... well, it says a lot about you.

I'll tell you what I enjoy watching..... the vicious legal hit Chad Johnson took against the Browns... where he couldn't speak coherently in the lockerroom after the game and he had to be separated from the media to avoid further embarassing himself.

Watch me.

Chad Johnson doesn't add entertainment to the game with his endzone celebrations. Those celebrations were ridiculous and selfish.

If you like seeing grown men dance around and act like a kid... well, it says a lot about you.

I'll tell you what I enjoy watching..... the vicious legal hit Chad Johnson took against the Browns... where he couldn't speak coherently in the lockerroom after the game and he had to be separated from the media to avoid further embarassing himself.

Die hard, I have always enjoyed your posts but this one... Do you really enjoy seeing someone have a serious head injury suffer and laugh at him? Come on... even if you don't like the guy.

I understand this. However this country has a legal system for a reason. If you were arressted for a crime, got fired, had to give back money, and then were found not guilty, you would not be very happy.

If I was an athlete and I allowed myself to be drawn into a position to be arrested for something, more than likely I deserve whatever punishment the league and team decide to place on me. That's exactly my point. Don't put yourself into a position to be arrested.

I do agree some of the players are out of control, but let the teams decide if they want them or not, not the league.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for one reason.... the individual teams are going to do whatever is best for their short-term benefit. If it's some third-string kicker, yeah they might throw the book at him to try and show people they care. If it's their starting quarterback nothing will happen. That's why the policy has to be enforced at the top level to ensure it's truly fair.

The legal system is there for a reason, if a player messes up bad enough, they get found guilty and then cant play, thats fine. But if you want to just get rid of any player accused of a crime, that is not american. That is not constitutional.

The legal system is a totally different thing than what we're talking about here. The legal system is concerned with whether or not the person actually committed a crime. The NFL needs to be concerned with it's appearance. We all know that perception is reality with the American public. The NBA already has a reputation as a league of thugs who are allowed to get away with anything and it's hurting them financially. The NFL needs to get its act in order or they're liable to head down the same road. Only when players know that even the suggestion of impropriety will bring a response they don't want, will they start acting like reasonable adults instead of spoiled children.

Die hard, I have always enjoyed your posts but this one... Do you really enjoy seeing someone have a serious head injury suffer and laugh at him? Come on... even if you don't like the guy.

I can appreciate a little bit of justice (karma). I thought the guy had it coming. And it was done in legal fashion... and there wasn't any permanent injury.

• 2 months later...

Archived