Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does The Arch Trade Make Sense To You?- JLC Insider

The Burgundy Rhino

My favorite part of this whole rant, is that you are assuming you have the same, if not more inside information than Jason, who happens to have cell phone numbers for most players and agents.

....Why did we not keep Peirce....becasue he had played for one year at a high level and wanted a Marcus Washington type contract ...it was a mistake but not the end of the world...Marshell filled in fine in 2005 an took a step back in 2006...

Peirce got a modest contract 6 years 26 million if memory serves me right. No excuse here, he didnt get prime time money, just modest money.

..why did we not keep Smoot first time round ... i think time has shown he was vastly overpaid...

Smott went to a place he did not fit in and an organization that has almost as many problems as the redskins do. He was a free agent bust for them, just like many players bust for us. Yet if he was retained, who is to say his play would have dropped off.

Lastly, just look at the track record, the Redskins for the last 15 years have a been a bottom 5 NFL team. They deserve to be critized. Yes you dont want to hear it, but how does 1 division title in 15 years sound. If the process was random we would win 1 every 4 years (or 5). But because the redskins have been horribly run, the odds are not 1 in 4, they are 1 in 15. NO EXCUSES

Lastly, just look at the track record, the Redskins for the last 15 years have a been a bottom 5 NFL team. They deserve to be critized. Yes you dont want to hear it, but how does 1 division title in 15 years sound. If the process was random we would win 1 every 4 years (or 5). But because the redskins have been horrible run, they odds are not 1 in 4, they are 1 in 15. NO EXCUSES

Couldn't agree more. And until a major change in the front office is made -- and that doesn't just mean who the decision makers are but what their philosophy will be -- the team will continue to lose more games than it wins. Anybody can have two decent seasons out of ten in today's NFL.

Couldn't agree more. And until a major change in the front office is made -- and that doesn't just mean who the decision makers are but what their philosophy will be -- the team will continue to lose more games than it wins. Anybody can have two decent seasons out of ten in today's NFL.

Yes!!!!! Finally someone else has taken off the homer glasses. People need to realize that there is no defending a team that has 1 division title in 15 years. If someone bashes this team, they have ALL the evidence on their side.

Off the top of my head the teams worse in the last 15 years:

Detriot

Arizona

Browns

I wonder if those teams have fans who apologize for and defend their front office and owner as much as the Skins do.
In the case of the Cardinals, no. I am sure everyone wants to kill matt millian in detriot and i think cleveland is happy to just have a team.

The one thing in common is all these teams are horribly managed

My favorite part of this whole rant, is that you are assuming you have the same, if not more inside information than Jason, who happens to have cell phone numbers for most players and agents. Peirce got a modest contract 6 years 26 million if memory serves me right. No excuse here, he didnt get prime time money, just modest money.[/Quote]

Ermm no I am not even saying that have inside information... I have taken my information from the various sources not just the one I tend to agree with (Washington Post)... i even say I am an ordianary shmo NOT a journalist.

Also in what world is 6 years $26 million a moderate contract for a guy who only started in his contract year . London Fletcher has been a day 1 starter been to a superbowl and a top tier MLB 5 years $25 million ...way to be objective here.

Also I kind of want to discredit your worst 5 in the NFL argument. There are only 6 years we have been below .500 in your selected 15 years we have been to the playoffs 3 times in that period and never had the top overall pick in the draft . Its interesting you want to stop there because in the last 25 years we have 3 superbowls 10 playoff appearances....

look you may so want the team to suck so you can get the freaky sympathy vote some fans seak out ... i have know Bears fans for a long time....but you know what i don't want to join you ...you want to give up on your team in March fine go ahead find something else to do on a Sunday i am borred of your and chicken little fans like you littering the board

Ermm no I am not even saying that have inside information... I have taken my information from the various sources not just the one I tend to agree with (Washington Post)... i even say I am an ordianary shmo NOT a journalist.

So because you take various sources info, you assume that you have more info than the beat writer of the Skins?

Also in what world is 6 years $26 million a moderate contract for a guy who only started in his contract year . London Fletcher has been a day 1 starter been to a superbowl and a top tier MLB 5 years $25 million ...way to be objective here.

I can't really argue with the AP point but at some point you have to make a guess and hope for it. Actually I can argue this.

Look at the contract the Skins gave to AA, BL and ARE. How can you look at those contracts and say that those are more outrageous than what AP was given? What have they proven in the league?

Also I kind of want to discredit your worst 5 in the NFL argument. There are only 6 years we have been below .500 in your selected 15 years we have been to the playoffs 3 times in that period and never had the top overall pick in the draft . Its interesting you want to stop there because in the last 25 years we have 3 superbowls 10 playoff appearances....

We've had the number 2 pick in the draft. We've been the model of mediocrity for the last 15 years. We've made the playoffs in 2 times. 1999 and 2005.

At some point of time you have to look at history as history. It has no barring on what happens today. Its great to make fun of the Eagles fans.

look you may so want the team to suck so you can get the freaky sympathy vote some fans seak out ... i have know Bears fans for a long time....but you know what i don't want to join you ...you want to give up on your team in March fine go ahead find something else to do on a Sunday i am borred of your and chicken little fans like you littering the board

No one wants the team to suck but we want the mediocrity to stop.

The defense (in particular the pass D) with Clark was far better than with AA, but again that is not the point here.

Certainly not, since there was much more wrong with the defense than the SS position.

The point here was that you bash JLC and defend your bashing with the statement that because GW thought Clark wasn’t the answer, JLC is wrong for supporting Clark.

Actually, in this case I was responding to someone else's post, who was taking me to task. I'll make my comments about JLC's rant later.

In other words, just because GW says something does not make it right. He was wrong in many of his decisions. Yet, you to act like because something comes out of the mouth of GW, it cannot be criticized, and that is idiotic.

Certainly you can critisize Williams for getting Arch to sign and have it not work out. That isn't my point. My point is, Ryan Clark is not a strong safety, and wasn't really suited for that role. In Pittsburgh, Clark was a free safety, and it looks like his job will be challenged yet again next season by Anthony Smith next season.

Williams did seem to want to keep him, but as a reserve. The fact that JLC seems to make it all about money kinda misrepresents the situation.

Jason

:applause:

Nothing this team does makes any sense. Third year in a row they take a huge cap hit on a player that was recently acquired or given a huge deal. how is there any accountability in this organization? How can Snyder continue poking around? How can Vinny still have a job?

Pathetic.

The only way this post could have been better is if you threw it on here is 25 point boldfaced font. I agree w/you 100%. Snyder should fire himself.

Ok, time to tackle this thing...

Ryan Clark wants an average of $1.5 million a season to re-sign here and Danny tells his agent he'll never get that kind of money. Then when Pittsburgh gives him a 4 year deal worth $1.75 per season, Danny wishes him good luck and doesn't match it.

He then procedures to pay Arch Deluxe double what anyone else in the league would have. (Spoke to a non-Redskins player today who has chatted with AD recently, who says that AD told him, "It's not that I really wanted to come to Washington, but I had to after they made that offer." AD also told this guy flat out he got double what he expected to get from Snyder.).

Well, first he seems to have gotten the order all wrong. We signed Arch first (March 13th) then Clark signs with Pittsburgh (March 14th). Obviously, he saw the writing on the wall when Arch was signed and moved on to another team. It also tells me that they targeted Arch, and it wasn't a response, as JLC implies. You certainly can take issue with the money involved, but that's been a standard MO of Snyder from the very beginning, make an offer they can't refuse.

Now, I'm no Einstein, but you try to convince me that taking a $4 dead cap hit in 2007 against a $109 million cap makes more sense than possibly getting a few sacks and big plays from AD over two years with this guy as a key reserve, then taking a $6 million hit in 2010 against what will probably be a $130 million cap? And if, lest I dare to dream the impossible dream, the team actually strings together two half-decent seasons in between, who amongst you will be crying about Archuleta's 2010 dead-cap hit against a massive salary cap?

Knowing a lot of people here, a whole lot. There is always a lot of bemoaning dead cap hits here.

But, he assumes that there he would be a guy who can make big plays in this defense. Maybe the lack coverage ability was a deal killer. Certainly, the big catch he gave up in the Cowboys game hurt him.

The question in response to JLC's question is, what if he never lived up to the contract? How would fans feel about that? It is what I felt about Jeff George getting his 3m roster bonus in 2001.

This is typical knee-jerk stuff by Snyder/Gibbs. Little bit of turbulence with a player? Ship 'em out, take the cap hit.

Now that is rather knee-jerk. Gibbs established early on that if a player didn't want to be here, that he'd try to accomodate the player. Gibbs has been very consistant about that policy.

Also, not everyone who has been traded has been because they were upset. Ramsey was a model player here, but he knew that he had little future here, so Gibbs traded him. The same goes for Arch as well. Other than that one article, there wasn't a peep out of Arch, and he did everything he was asked to do.

As for Coles, he wasn't shipped because "he dared to speak the truth when asked about the state of the offense in an exit interview". Yes, he was upset (heavens knows why, when he caught 90 passes and was thrown to twice as much), but in the end, it was because he was homesick for the Jets. It isn't unusual. It happened to Trotter. It happened to Smoot. So, he obliged him, and got Moss in the bargain (which JLC seems to forget about). It ended up working out for both teams.

Lavar is self explanatory. He pretty much talked his way off of this team. You don't start bashing the organization when your team is fighting for a playoff spot. Anyways, it looks like the organization had a good read on Lavar's current abilities, and getting rid of him was a good move.

They take part in personnel meetings along with the scouts, make their case for players when asked to and then sit on the other side of the building while Dan and Joe wheel and deal in from the owner's office.

And how does that differ from most organizations? Most coaches don't get involved with the nuts and bolts of negotiation. Is he saying that Gibbs doesn't take input from his assistants? I mean, he certainly suggested that Gibbs does in the postseason articles he wrote. That, Saunders really liked Lloyd. Gibbs doesn't seem to be a guy who makes decisions in a vaccum.

-----

Really, most of this blog comes of like some of the fan frustration that crops up on this board. I'm glad he got it off of his chest, but it is hard to take it seriously when we so far have had a good offseason, taking care of addressing the weakpoints and resigning most of our players. Certainly, the Skins seemed to make a mistake about Arch, but they are making the best out of a bad situation. Considering that we seem to be done with FA, why not use some of that cap space to get rid of a guy who doesn't fit in with what the team wanted to use him for? Why spend another 5M on a guy you don't believe in?

Then, there is the possibility that he asked out. Again, Gibbs has been very consistant in dealing players who want to be elsewhere. I know that it is disappointing that we didn't get more for him, but the fact that we did come out of this without losing all that much cap room deserves some props, even if JLC disagrees.

Jason

I know this is not allowed, but you are a moron. Plain and simple. Yes I want this team to lose, that’s why my email has skins in it, and it is also why my screen name is skinsn24. I want the skins to lose so bad I have had season tickets for 5 years. I also have spent more money than I can count on autographs and such but only to see them lose.

I even say I am an ordinary shmo NOT a journalist.
Good job, its always good to discredit your whole argument before you start.
Also I kind of want to discredit your worst 5 in the NFL argument. There are only 6 years we have been below .500 in your selected 15 years we have been to the playoffs 3 times in that period and never had the top overall pick in the draft.
Dude you are brilliant, you "kind of wanted" to discredit me, and you only kind of did. In the last 15 years, 1993 season-now heading into 2007, we have been below .500 8 times (over 50% of the time). We have had 10 wins, twice, we have only made the playoffs twice, not 3 times. 8 players have led the team in passing (that’s a new passing leader every 2 years). We have picked in the top 10 almost every other year, including top 3 selections.

Let me say this again, we have 1 division title, in 15 years. That is we have been the best team in our division (which was 5 teams, 1 being the cardinals, and now is 4 teams) once in 15 years. That is not being ok, or mediocre, it is called being horrible.

Take you #!#@#@#@ homer blinders off and get real. Who cares that we won 3 superbowls over 15 years ago, can i brag about that to my friends?

PS. The AP deal only had 6.5 in guaranteed money. That is like fruit loops to Danny boy. B-Lloyd was given 10 and he had done less.....I hate to take my anger out on other fans, but sometimes, never mind this is not worth more words.

Pss Shouts to GoskinsGo you know whats up

Funny how things work; JLC and the WP get what they want.

The article wasn't a blog, it was probably written three months ago.

You think he could dig up a piece on us picking up Brad a few years ago and pawn it off as a blog?

Hindsight is 20/20. Spin it how you like.

Not a DS clone but this was easy...........

I think Adam really didn't get a fair chance, the defense as a whole was crap!! AD was used in the wrong formations, he is better at the rush then in coverage. Yet we tried to use him in coverage which is not his strong suit.

This whole deal is wrong, I feel he is better than a sixth round pick. I will tell ya now he is going to have a great year with the Bears. Its going to make us look bad, remember Pierce, and Clark we cut or release people, they have a great years after. FO and there thinking has me ??????????

Wow! that was lengthy... you referred to us "not winning a trade" I feel like the "Portis" trade was a GREAT one! All draft choices are some sort of gamble, last years Montgomery looks good so far...

AA just didn't work out... I think you have to give AA alot of credit for bailing out of the deal and going to Chicago (I don't know all the contract details) but, AA had to loose money in the long run, I wish him the best! AA is a football player! I don't believe that 2 strong safeties on the field at the same time isn't "strong" for any defense. I would never pull Taylor out... What real choice was left? I can live with making a bad decision or it sure looked better on paper than reality:)

Most of all, I believe in Gibbs (he's earned it) and when we hoist the lombardi trophy up in the air again... these memories will be a fleeting thought!

And that my friend is what it's all about...

Nobody ever talks about the Cooley trade or how about JC if he is the real deal these are both GREAT trades by the FO.

If any of us performed as badly on our jobs as the Redskins front office, we would be fired PERIOD! We continue to be PATHETIC and it's apparent that our front office is as bad as there is in all of professional sports, and I'm using "professional" loosley.If we have any kind of success this year I will be surprised.

WE SUCK!

Archived