Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Videogame console question

Beaudry

I am debating what the right videogame console is for me. I've read quite a bit, but still have a few questions. I currently have a Wii (and ps2 and xbox). I am getting more and more disappointed with the Wii library and lack of future titles coming down the pipeline. The non-Nintendo brand games are all pretty disappointing so far and don't look to get much better.

I have a big CRT rear projection TV that displays HD in 1080i. My understand that Wii doesn't support any HD. PS3 supports only 720P or 1080P. No idea about xbox. I've also heard that the Xbox doesn't convert the 720P games to 1080i. Any more info on this?

I have wireless internet, but it is only 128mb. Does that make a difference in online play?

Also, no first person shooters for me. They give me motion sickness. I'll play most other games, so long as they are good.

How much would it cost to get a laptop that could play the newest PC games?

I am debating what the right videogame console is for me. I've read quite a bit, but still have a few questions. I currently have a Wii (and ps2 and xbox). I am getting more and more disappointed with the Wii library and lack of future titles coming down the pipeline. The non-Nintendo brand games are all pretty disappointing so far and don't look to get much better.

I have a big CRT rear projection TV that displays HD in 1080i. My understand that Wii doesn't support any HD. PS3 supports only 720P or 1080P. No idea about xbox. I've also heard that the Xbox doesn't convert the 720P games to 1080i. Any more info on this?

I have wireless internet, but it is only 128mb. Does that make a difference in online play?

Also, no first person shooters for me. They give me motion sickness. I'll play most other games, so long as they are good.

How much would it cost to get a laptop that could play the newest PC games?

The 360 WILL convert 720p to 1080i.

Does your TV accept a 720p signal as well?

I'm 99% sure that is a "no".

Also, does the 360 use wireless internet?

You have to buy an adapter. It is also worth noting that the premium Xbox Live service (meaning you can actually play online games) is $50 a year. The free service lets you download demos and stuff but you can't play online games.

What are you talking about here? Do you mean you have wireless internet at 128kb?

With low speed connectivity such as 128kb you won't be able to host multi-player games and you will very likely suffer lag.

What are you talking about here? Do you mean you have wireless internet at 128kb?

With low speed connectivity such as 128kb you won't be able to host multi-player games and you will very likely suffer lag.

I cheaped out and took the cheap/slow internet because I don't really use it much at home. I could upgrade if I did want to play online.

It depends entirely on what you want out of your system. If you're merely looking for games to play now you get a 360. However, you will have to buy a wireless adapter and (if you want to play online) an Xbox Live subscription. Additionally, if you are gonna want to use it for HD-DVD down the line, you'll have to spend an additional $200.

The 60 GB model PS3 has the wireless and Blu-ray built in already and doesn't require you to pay to play online... but is in a similar situation as the Wii games-wise at the moment. You may have to buy a headset and HDMI cable separately, but thats up to you. They have a few really good games (namely in the racing genre), but don't have any big titles hitting until the end of 2007/beginning of 2008.

From a hardware perspective, you'll probably be more intrigued by the potential of the PS3's cell processing and by the openness of the system. If you want to install a separate OS on the PS3, there's already a utility available on the console that makes it relatively easy. Want to upgrade the hard drive? Just buy a 2.5" SATA HDD from wherever you want and plug it in. However, you have to know that you're buying potential and that the software currently on the PS3 is not nearly as polished as the 360 (granted, the 360 has had a year to fix many of its issues).

In the long run, the two consoles will have a lot of the same games... but what will likely differentiate the two is the exclusive titles. I fully expect the 360 to have slightly better first and third person shooters... and I also expect the PS3 to do a bit better with the racing genre and games like Final Fantasy XIII. I'd also take a look at Home so you can try and get a feel for what Sony is going for goal-wise with the PS3. Your best bet is to look at the last generation and make your decision from there, if you're judging strictly on games. :2cents:

In summary, if you want immediate gratification buy a 360. If the PS3 genuinely intrigues you and you're willing to take a bit of a risk... thats the way to go. It's pretty simple.

I have a big CRT rear projection TV that displays HD in 1080i. My understand that Wii doesn't support any HD.

Odds are pretty good that if your TV supports 1080i, it also supports 720p. Hard to tell for sure unless you give us a specific model or look it up for yourself.

PS3 supports only 720P or 1080P. No idea about xbox. I've also heard that the Xbox doesn't convert the 720P games to 1080i. Any more info on this??

PS3 supports 720p and 1080p but doesn't upscale to 1080i. Xbox 360 doesn't support 1080p but does upscale from 720p to 1080i. Supposedly, the PS3 will support upscaling to 1080i at some point seeing as it's a software issue.

I cheaped out and took the cheap/slow internet because I don't really use it much at home. I could upgrade if I did want to play online.

So is it 128kb speed?

You said wireless internet ... do you have a wireless router in your house which is connected to ISDN at 128kb?

Wireless Internet is not a cheap option.

So is it 128kb speed?

You said wireless internet ... do you have a wireless router in your house which is connected to ISDN at 128kb?

if you have broadband at home, but its just not wireless, i believe you can purchace a little USB do-hickey that creates a little hot-spot for wireless internet

if you have broadband at home, but its just not wireless, i believe you can purchace a little USB do-hickey that creates a little hot-spot for wireless internet

Wireless internet to the house isn't cheap. My dad pays 90 a month for ours.

If you run broadband to your house all you have to do is plug it into a wireless g broadband routers and bang, instant wireless internet throughout the house.

To answer the question, the 360 is the safer bet right now. In a year, both will be on the same playing field.

Unless the PS3 takes the dreamcast route. <--- figment of anyone's imagination

God, I loved that console :(

That's called wireless networking. :)

Wireless internet does not involve you having a wireless router.

My ColecoVision has a hidden switch in the bottom of the console that enables Dolby 5.1, 580i media projector output, and free wireless connectivity over secure channels via US military satellites.

Just kidding... I wouldn't have been caught dead with a ColecoVision.

It depends entirely on what you want out of your system. If you're merely looking for games to play now you get a 360. However, you will have to buy a wireless adapter and (if you want to play online) an Xbox Live subscription. Additionally, if you are gonna want to use it for HD-DVD down the line, you'll have to spend an additional $200.

The 60 GB model PS3 has the wireless and Blu-ray built in already and doesn't require you to pay to play online... but is in a similar situation as the Wii games-wise at the moment. You may have to buy a headset and HDMI cable separately, but thats up to you. They have a few really good games (namely in the racing genre), but don't have any big titles hitting until the end of 2007/beginning of 2008.

From a hardware perspective, you'll probably be more intrigued by the potential of the PS3's cell processing and by the openness of the system. If you want to install a separate OS on the PS3, there's already a utility available on the console that makes it relatively easy. Want to upgrade the hard drive? Just buy a 2.5" SATA HDD from wherever you want and plug it in. However, you have to know that you're buying potential and that the software currently on the PS3 is not nearly as polished as the 360 (granted, the 360 has had a year to fix many of its issues).

In the long run, the two consoles will have a lot of the same games... but what will likely differentiate the two is the exclusive titles. I fully expect the 360 to have slightly better first and third person shooters... and I also expect the PS3 to do a bit better with the racing genre and games like Final Fantasy XIII. I'd also take a look at Home so you can try and get a feel for what Sony is going for goal-wise with the PS3. Your best bet is to look at the last generation and make your decision from there, if you're judging strictly on games. :2cents:

In summary, if you want immediate gratification buy a 360. If the PS3 genuinely intrigues you and you're willing to take a bit of a risk... thats the way to go. It's pretty simple.

Odds are pretty good that if your TV supports 1080i, it also supports 720p. Hard to tell for sure unless you give us a specific model or look it up for yourself.

PS3 supports 720p and 1080p but doesn't upscale to 1080i. Xbox 360 doesn't support 1080p but does upscale from 720p to 1080i. Supposedly, the PS3 will support upscaling to 1080i at some point seeing as it's a software issue.

Those are exactly the points I was going to make. If you want something new with a decent library then go for a 360. If you're willing to wait a year or so to see if the PS3 lives up to its hype, it may be worth the wait once titles like Metal Gear, Grand Theft, and Devil May Cry start seeing the light of day. Plus, there's always TBA titles like God of War 3.

In short, if you are getting it this week, get a 360. If you can wait, the PS3 might be a better option down the road.:2cents:

The 60 GB model PS3 has the wireless and Blu-ray built in already and doesn't require you to pay to play online...

Kind of long random post, but I have a few things concerning PS3 and 360 : Let it be noted I am a PS gamer... esp for the Socoms and others. After this summer I was planning to buy a PS3 - and don't believe it is a risk in buying, EVENTUALLY it'll be close or maybe pass the 360 - but now I kind of have new tidbits thats are swaying my opinion. Most is that scheduled anytime as early as May til as late as October, the 360 core is gonna be cut and the premium/wireless version will drop to $299, and the HD-DVD will prolly drop to $100. On top of that, the GTA series is going to XBox only - at least WAY before the PS3 version comes out.

While this already got my attention, there was a thread awhile ago about modding. For the same price as getting a new PS3 (I think it was the 60gb model), you could get a modded 360 via "reputable" sites and professionals. Modding can allow you to play copied/backedup games which could def save you allot of money if you play many games and don't feel morally corrupt for renting from your local Blockbuster, copying the games, then returning them... It'd cost about $5 to "own" the game.

If ya like it, take it. If not, throw it right on back ;)

About the 1080i vs 720p thing for the tv. When I look online it looks like the tv supports both. When I actually go to the video menu on the t.v., it says "1080i". Here is a link to the TV.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=65h14

So is it 128kb speed?

Yeah, I have broadband with a wireless router. I thought that was "wireless internet", but I guess not.

I think so too, but I got a feeling these first batch of PS3's will end up having plenty of glitches and 'deaths' like the 360's did.

I disagree, there was obviously something wrong with the 360 design from the very beginning, many people got the red tign of death within the first few weeks of launch. The PS2 also had problems right away. So far there have been no such issues with the PS3 and its been out for four months. The thing is very well built. I am sure some will break but it is very rare to have such a smooth launch bug-wise.

Kind of long random post, but I have a few things concerning PS3 and 360 : Let it be noted I am a PS gamer... esp for the Socoms and others. After this summer I was planning to buy a PS3 - and don't believe it is a risk in buying, EVENTUALLY it'll be close or maybe pass the 360 - but now I kind of have new tidbits thats are swaying my opinion. Most is that scheduled anytime as early as May til as late as October, the 360 core is gonna be cut and the premium/wireless version will drop to $299, and the HD-DVD will prolly drop to $100.

Thats the advantage to having the console out for a year, production costs drop. I'm still not too sure that a pricedrop is a reason to go out and get a 360 right now... I mean, if you honestly have more interest in the PS3 just wait until Sony slashes their own prices to stay competitive a few months down the road.

On top of that, the GTA series is going to XBox only - at least WAY before the PS3 version comes out.

Last I checked, the 360 version of GTA IV was scheduled for an October 17th, 2007 release. The PS3 version? October 16th.

While this already got my attention, there was a thread awhile ago about modding. For the same price as getting a new PS3 (I think it was the 60gb model), you could get a modded 360 via "reputable" sites and professionals. Modding can allow you to play copied/backedup games which could def save you allot of money if you play many games and don't feel morally corrupt for renting from your local Blockbuster, copying the games, then returning them... It'd cost about $5 to "own" the game.

I really don't care. I'm a DIYer when it comes to these kinds of things, so I wouldn't pay more for someone else to take care of it for me irregardless. Besides, its not like there won't be (and aren't) "reputable" sites offering the same kinds of services for the PS3. My major point was that the PS3 is a naturally open-ended system. If you want to use it for slightly less-than-legal purposes, I can guarantee you that you can still do that.

Thats the advantage to having the console out for a year, production costs drop. I'm still not too sure that a pricedrop is a reason to go out and get a 360 right now... I mean, if you honestly have more interest in the PS3 just wait until Sony slashes their own prices to stay competitive a few months down the road.

Last I checked, the 360 version of GTA IV was scheduled for an October 17th, 2007 release. The PS3 version? October 16th.

In a few months, PS3 is also only going to cut their prices by $100, still almsot double that of the Xbox. I thought I GTA series had an exclusive signing for Microsoft?? My bad. Thought I knew what I was talking about

In a few months, PS3 is also only going to cut their prices by $100, still almsot double that of the Xbox. I thought I GTA series had an exclusive signing for Microsoft?? My bad. Thought I knew what I was talking about

No they're not. Where did you hear that? I don't think a videogame console has ever had a price cut that early into it's lifespan.

The xbox 360 does support 1080p, but right now it's only through vga. Later on though, they should release an hdmi version of the 360. Through vga, the 360 upscales dvds too.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming out exclusively for ps3 (as of right now) and it sounds to me like you would like it. That, bluray, and some nice online downloadable games are the only reasons I would get ps3 (which I'm not). The 360's support game-wise will be as good if not better than ps3's and the online can't be beat.

Archived