Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The rumored McGahee deal and Betts' value

Rufus T Firefly

The rumor is that McGahee will be shipped to the Ravens for a 2nd and 5th. If true, it at least ends the talk about RBs "being worth a max of a 3rd rounder", after the T. Jones deal. Of course, Baltimore's 2nd is late, but the 5th adds value. Because of contract status, I still think Betts may carry more value than Willis.

No idea if we will trade him, but I think this (if true) at least changes the parameters on trade value a little.

Just sayin.....

The question you have to ask yourself is this: with the draft such a hit-and-miss proposition, why are proven players not reaping #1 draft choices in trades anymore?

It's because of the salary cap...draft choices have become more valuable than current veterans, because they bring cheaper players.

In this case, however, that's why Betts is such a hot property to other teams...he is a starting caliber running back, who has a very affordable contract. He'll get paid less than any of the unproven RB commodities that will come out of the first 2 rounds in this year's draft.

That's worth gold...and it's why the Redskins shouldn't trade him for merely a 2nd rounder.

There are other reasons I can think of as to why we shouldn't trade him at all, but that's the main one.

We do not!!! Let me repeat do not trade Betts!!! He has done everything we want him to do as a core redskin. He Keeps his mouth shut, plays hard, had a huge season, and signed for low money to remain a Redskin. You do not trade that kind of core redskin away. Plus, in todays nfl you need two good running backs.

Well since this thread is pretty much on his value due to his contract. If we were to trade him here are the numbers

Cost to trade him this year for us = 4.305 mil extra cap hit.

What the inheriting team will have to pay

this year = .595 Salary and .100 Roster = .695 cap hit

08 = .605 Salary and cap hit

09 = .900 Salary + .100 Roster Bonus = 1 mil cap hit

10 = 1.4 mil Salary + .100 roster Bonus = 1.5 mil Cap hit

11 = 1.4 mil + .100 Roster = 1.5 mil cap hit

12 = 1.4 mil + .100 roster = 1.5 Cap hit

That folks is worth a 1st round pick.

THAT SAID DO NOT TRADE BETTS

Look at those numbers. DO NOT TRADE BETTS

Well since this thread is pretty much on his value due to his contract. If we were to trade him here are the numbers

Cost to trade him this year for us = 4.305 mil extra cap hit.

What the inheriting team will have to pay

this year = .595 Salary and .100 Roster = .695 cap hit

08 = .605 Salary and cap hit

09 = .900 Salary + .100 Roster Bonus = 1 mil cap hit

10 = 1.4 mil Salary + .100 roster Bonus = 1.5 mil Cap hit

11 = 1.4 mil + .100 Roster = 1.5 mil cap hit

12 = 1.4 mil + .100 roster = 1.5 Cap hit

That folks is worth a 1st round pick.

THAT SAID DO NOT TRADE BETTS

Look at those numbers. DO NOT TRADE BETTS

As I said to you earlier, he is due a $2 mil bonus this year, which an acquiring team will have to pay (which adds a whopping 400K to his cap figures every year), which would make the net hit to us around 1 mil.

Secondly, I am grateful that none of the myriad people posting "Don't trade him. Period!"-type of things don't actually work in our front office. That would be just a horrendously bad mind-set for them to take.

that 2 mil isn't guaranteed already? I thought it would be one of those split Guaranteed Signing bonus things the skins are famous for.

http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Salaries%20-%20Detail.htm

this says the 2.1 mil bonus is due in 08. He got a 3.5 mil SB and he is due a .100k bonus later this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/08/AR2006120800804.html

Washington's five-year contract extension offer. Sources said it included a $3.5 million signing bonus and $5.5 million in guaranteed money, $100,000 workout bonuses and could be worth up to $11 million in total

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=138

Redskins signed Ladell Betts to a five-year, $11 million extension, with $5.5 million guaranteed in the first year of the contract.

Here is where you are getting your info from I guess.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2691260

He got $3.5 million in signing bonus money this year and a $2 million roster bonus in 2007. With half of the money going to him early, Betts figured it was the best of all worlds.

It looks like PC has the bonus on the wrong year and it should be on this year, but all the other articles but the ESPN one shows it at a guaranteed bonus.

I tend to believe PC on these issues as he hasn't been wrong, maybe a bit behind some days on updating, and his insider released the Smoot and Fletcher contracts exactly a day before the press did.

that 2 mil isn't guaranteed already? I thought it would be one of those split Guaranteed Signing bonus things the skins are famous for.

http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Salaries%20-%20Detail.htm

this says the 2.1 mil bonus is due in 08. He got a 2.8 mil SB and he is due a .100k bonus later this year.

It is guaranteed, but it isn't due yet.

I'm not sure why people assume a guaranteed bonus due later wouldn't automatically be transferred to the new team, but I haven't seen any reason or proof to think that. It would be the same as if his salary was guaranteed for 08, and that would certainly be paid by the trading team. Just like in baseball or basketball. Or, to look at it another way, the cap relief we looked for on Springs' contract in a trade was to delay a payment on a guaranteed bonus until after the trade. Same thing was discussed with the Coles deal. Don't see any reason this would be different. But if someone has proof that I'm wrong, I'm open to it.

And, even were that the case, it would be easy to change the language in the contract to facilitate that. Just throw Betts an extra 100K, if necessary.

I edited my original, I think the guaranteed bonus part makes it kind of in the same realm as already paid. I wonder if betts would change the language but I also wonder if that would affect his compensation.

I edited my original, I think the guaranteed bonus part makes it kind of in the same realm as already paid. I wonder if betts would change the language but I also wonder if that would affect his compensation.

Again, you're making that assumption, but I haven't found any reason to think that. While the evidence I sited at least suggests the opposite is the case.

And no, I don't think that affects compensation much. He is still basically going to cost 1 mil a year for a couple, and maxing out at 1.9.

Didn't the Bears give up there 2nd rounder as well?

Also Mcgahee >>>>> Betts

Yes he did and no he is not.

someone posted in another thread the stats and Betts is actually better and he has less wear and tear on his body. His fumbles could be improved.

Didn't the Bears give up there 2nd rounder as well?

Also Mcgahee >>>>> Betts

Yes, they traded up in the 2nd, which was considered 3rd round value. Which is what I mentioned in the first post, that Clayton and others have said that 3rd round value was basically max for a vet RB.

And McGahee may be better than Betts (though many think Betts started to become a top-notch guy this year), but he has an injury history and is 1 year from a huge FA payday, while Betts is signed long-term for cheap. Tarde value wise, Betts should be worth more.

Betts was a second rounder himself. And he has played above that.

So why would they trade him now that he is signed?

Still not convinced that Betts is the real deal.

When it counted he was ineffective in getting the tough 1st down yards or the end zone. He is a fumbler...

The holes the o-line opened for him were huge. Someone's grandma could run thru them.

I just googled my ass off and I can't find any infor either way if it is counted for us or against us, so no one really knows either way. With the cap room we have available it is not really a problem though.

Not signing NC may have done wonders for this team.

Portis was a second rounder and has played above that. Betts defiantly hasnt played like a seconder rounder

Up to last year, people were rightfully saying that he was a waste of a 2nd round pick (myself included).

One good year out of 6 doesn't instantly make up for the other 5 that he just floundered on the bench or on IR.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: with the draft such a hit-and-miss proposition, why are proven players not reaping #1 draft choices in trades anymore?

It's because of the salary cap...draft choices have become more valuable than current veterans, because they bring cheaper players.

In this case, however, that's why Betts is such a hot property to other teams...he is a starting caliber running back, who has a very affordable contract. He'll get paid less than any of the unproven RB commodities that will come out of the first 2 rounds in this year's draft.

That's worth gold...and it's why the Redskins shouldn't trade him for merely a 2nd rounder.

There are other reasons I can think of as to why we shouldn't trade him at all, but that's the main one.

This is a great great post. Plus the lockeroom would probably be a little upset if we traded a semi-stud RB who signed a hometown discount contract. It would be very upsetting, and at this point it isn't going to happen, once LB signed that contract, all this talk is over.

Archived