Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can the D-line still be fixed this offseason?

sackfumble

Signing Smoot and Fletcher certainly help the back seven.

The Skins defense was abused all season long by #2 receivers,tight ends and running backs in the passing game.

Smoot can cover a #2 better than the stiffs(Wright,Rumph,Jimoh)we trotted out there all season long.Even if he's a 3rd corner he's still way better than any of those guys.

Fletcher is an huge improvement in both the run and pass game over Lemar Marshall who hopefully can still be more effective on the outside as a starter or providing depth.

Still need at least two maybe three additions to the line who can win their share of the battles in the trenches and create pressure.I'm sick of watching the line get pushed off the ball time and time again and get zero push on the pocket.

Even if the Skins FO can guess right with the #6 pick-that still leaves us one or two DL guys short of having an impact defense again.

Can anyone come up with any scenarios where we can add more than one guy who can play to the D-line? It doesn't look like we'll add anything in free agency so the front office is going to need to get creative and then come up with a couple of guys that can play.

I would say they probly wanna trade down in the draft, get Branch and/or Okoye to start, and hope one of the ends has a comeback year (Daniels be dominant the WHOLE year, or Carter having the mean streak the entire year). I dont know if it can be fixed, but drafting a stud rookie inside is a big step towards that.

Fixed No. Improved, yes.

Imagine that a year of training should improve marginally Goldston and Montgomery. Griffin will be healthy. Carter started to come on. If we get lucky in the draft and if Fletcher is the general we (I) hope he is. The d line should improve.

You do realize that the Redskins had the worst defensive line in the NFL last season.

Griffin has a lot of wear and tear-I don't think he's ever going to be as good as he was in 2004.Golston wasn't even adequate so you're hoping he improves-he'll certainly have to.Daniels was never a dominating end in any phase-now he's just old.Carter is a situational pass rusher and a liability vs the run.Montgomery couldn't really even get involved on the worst line in football.He'd have to improve leaps and bounds.

They need to add at least two guys that can have some impact.One draft pick isn't going to get them to a top 15 level.

Anything is possible. We sure got bad quickly, you'd have to be very optimistic to think that we can get back to the top that quickly, but we went from a suck defense in 03 to the number 3 in 04. I don't think we've been as low as 31 since Mike Nolan was the D-coordinator. I hope we can come out of this strong, and that's all we can do now is hope and trust the coaches and the players to get this thing back on track.

Yes, it can but we would have to make a couple of tough decisions.

Tough decisions

1. Release wynn and daniels and salevae -they cost way to much for their production. With this plan slavea becomes a fifth DT, why do we need 5. This saves 5.2 mil on the cap this year too.

2. Trade next years #1 for a early second if we can't trade down no more then 8 slots.

The plan

1. cut wynn, daniels, and salvea

2. sign kearney

3. draft DT with the first pick

4. Draft DE with the second pick or traded first. (Hopefully but doubtfully carriker)

Gives us a DL

Carter

Grif

Draft #1 (branch or okoye)

Kearny

Drafted De and evans for rotation and injury insurance

Golston and montgomery for rotation at DT

This gives a good mix of youth and vets with playmakers all around, secondary improves and so do the LB with this group.

Has enough depth for rotations so no starters should get worn down, and we have insurance against injuries.

Yes, it can but we would have to make a couple of tough decisions.

Tough decisions

1. Release wynn and daniels and salevae -they cost way to much for their production. With this plan slavea becomes a fifth DT, why do we need 5. This saves 5.2 mil on the cap this year too.

2. Trade next years #1 for a early second if we can't trade down no more then 8 slots.

The plan

1. cut wynn, daniels, and salvea

2. sign kearney

3. draft DT with the first pick

4. Draft DE with the second pick or traded first. (Hopefully but doubtfully carriker)

Gives us a DL

Carter

Grif

Draft #1 (branch or okoye)

Kearny

Drafted De and evans for rotation and injury insurance

Golston and montgomery for rotation at DT

This gives a good mix of youth and vets with playmakers all around, secondary improves and so do the LB with this group.

Has enough depth for rotations so no starters should get worn down, and we have insurance against injuries.

Bad plan. Morgage our immediate future to try and fix the persent. Kerney wont be a big upgrade here. Once again, we wont have the draft to help us in 2008, Kerny will end up like AA here (exspensive bust) and we'll be in the same boat.

you belong in our FO

I guess you missed the "if we can't trade down" part and what part of our draft history suggest we won't do this. If we want to have a good d line to help mask the secondaries deficiences (especially is springs is released) then this is the only conceivable way to do it.

If we don't get kearny and keep the old and decrepit on the roster, who is that helpin? I would rather see a mid level DE then daniels or wynn on the opening day roster.

Proof is in the numbers

Daniels

Games/takles/solo/assisted/sacks

Cap this year 3.26 million

Wynn

Games/tackles/solo/assisted/sacks

Cap this year 4.028 million

We got a total of 51 tackles and 3 sacks from that position last year and those two cost us 7.288 million on the cap.

We can sign three mid range DE's for the 4.4 mil savings and rotate one per play and get way better production then that.

They are DEAD WEIGHT nothing more. For those who want to say they were injured, they played 31 out of 32 man games and their ages don't really pretail of good years to come. Don't bash SS for missing some time last year and let these two off the hook.

I am willing to make these kinds of moves and forgo player loyalty at the price of the good of the team for deeds past ( of which these guys were paid, I am pretty sure). So maybe I do belong in the FO :D

Archived