Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Patroits Finally Playing Money Ball?

pjfootballer

I just saw where the Patriots are going to offer Wes Welker, a 3rd or 4th WR/PR $38 million. Are they finally caving in to the pressure of getting better players instead of going with the cheaper one's? Not that Welker is one of the better players, but NE has also been linked to other name players.

They haven't won a SB in 2 years and if they end up getting Welker, I think the $30 Million contracts we signed AA, ARE and Lloyd to are not that bad. What do you guys think?

Oh, and I almost forgot about the Adalius Thomas signing. :doh:

HOw come nobody wants to comment in my thread. At least I put it in the right place.

because it's a redskins board and the thread is pretty self explainitory....

You say," THe pats seem to be paying for good players."

we say, " Yep...looks so..."

I see no debate..... ;)

NOw if you were to say Wes is the next Monk , THEN people would be flocking to your thread......

However....then you would have a mislabeled thread....so I'd have to ban you :silly:

I just wanted to know if you guys thought that they are getting away from typical Patriots offseason of finding bargains instead of being players in FA. You can agree, disagree or just comment if you want. I was trying to be a little creative instead the endless "trade CP Threads", "AA sucks", or "what are the salary cap ramifications" of signing player X. Sorry I didn't strike up the great debate of the century. I was just curious of what you guys thought considering the Pats are always playing it cool in FA.

The Colts might be the best drafting team in the NFL. The last couple of seasons I would have to say the Chargers are second. NE has done well, but they failed the last two years. They brought in Harrison via FA and won a SB. They have learned that they have to include FA as one of the methods of obtaining quality players.

The Colts might be the best drafting team in the NFL. The last couple of seasons I would have to say the Chargers are second. NE has done well, but they failed the last two years. They brought in Harrison via FA and won a SB. They have learned that they have to include FA as one of the methods of obtaining quality players.

The Patriots have been one of the NFL’s best drafting teams over the past five years. The 2002 draft produced three starters in Daniel Graham, Deion Branch and David Givens, as well key reserve Jarvis Green. The Patriots 2003 draft may go down as one of the best in team history. Ty Warren and Eugene Wilson were New England’s first two picks that year but New England found gems Asante Samuel (4th round), Dan Koppen (5th round) and Tully Banta-Cain (7th round) later on.

Second-round selection Bethel Johnson never lived up to expectations and was released before the start of the 2006 season. The 2004 draft wasn’t great by Patriots standards. It landed starters Vince Wilfork and Benjamin Watson early, but the rest of the draft was filled with busts like Marquise Hill and Guss Scott. Four starters - Logan Mankins, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur and James Sanders – came out of the 2005 draft, along with backup quarterback Matt Cassel. Mankins is on his way to becoming a Pro Bowl guard, while Hobbs and Sanders have shown signs of becoming future leaders in the Patriots secondary. The latest draft is still up in the air. Other than Laurence Maroney and Stephen Gostkowski, no one really made a big splash in their first season with the team, although tight end David Thomas looks like he’s a keeper.

2002 2003 2004 2005 2006

TOTAL PICKS 6 10 8 7 10

STARTERS 1 5 2 4 1

BACKUPS 1 0 1 1 7

OTHER TEAMS 2 2 4 0 2

OUT OF LEAGUE 2 3 1 2 0

Archived