Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DL thoughts

mikalax2

I like the trade down scenarios to stock our D-line and LB's.

For CB, I realize we got strafed last year, but it might not be that tough to recover.

A few years ago, guys like Garnell Wilds and Christian Morton were surprises. Maybe John Eubanks gets his chance to shine- I've read good things about his play in practice. Hopefully, he can turn into game time performance.

Someone mentioned Lamar Woodley from Michigan for DE.

Why isn't this kid's name being mentioned more?

He absolutely dominated in the Penn State game- he camped in the backfield and knocked out 2 QB's. Maybe that was his high water mark, but man, he was impressive.

Unfortunately, unless Anthony Montgomery turns it up a notch, we may need both a DE and DT in this year's draft. That doesn't address weakness at MLB, but to me that is slightly less of need, especially if we can strengthen the D-line significantly.

You may want to read the part you colored again. He said Charles Johnson, DE from Georgia who most likely will fall that far - not Calvin Johnson, WR from Georgia Tech who will go before we pick at #6.

I think he was being sarcastic. At least I hope.

Also, any more updates with recent FA re-signings? Earlier somebody said Charles Grant was going to be available, and on a different board somebody said the Lions weren't going to re-sign Cory Redding. Either of these two guys would be good, so do we know if they're still options and are there anymore options?

I think Alan Branch and Charles Grant would solve our problems on the DL. This, coupled with signing Fletcher and Clements, would give us a dominant defense.

This is laughable. Trading for Brian Urlacher & Tommie Harris then signing Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel or Nate Clements would solve our problems too... To quote the dad from That 70's show...

Dumbass.

:doh:

I haven't changed my view on who I want us to draft. We need to draft Alan Branch. If Griff can stay healthy, him and Branch could be devastating in collapsing the pocket, which will help Andre and whoever else we have at DE.

This is my only hangup with the draft Alan Branch argument. We have no young talent at DE. We at least have Golston and Montgomery at DT. Hopefully those guys will continue to develop.

If we could sign someone like Charles Grant, then I would be all for Branch. As of now, I'm still hesitant. Of course, we are still pre-combine so a lot could change.

I think that Jamaal Anderson is best choice (according to what I read about his play). Our DE's are not getting the job done, Carter came on as of late but until he did we had no signs of a d-line. The DE's will help the d-line tremendously. I think with Golston getting his rookie year under his belt he will come back smarter and more prepared to play, I think if Anderson is available get him, but if not then go for Branch as a second option. I think a DE would help out our d-line far more than a DT at this point (that's not saying that a DT would help at all, I just think DE is more a need at this point). my two cents

This is laughable. Trading for Brian Urlacher & Tommie Harris then signing Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel or Nate Clements would solve our problems too... To quote the dad from That 70's show...

Dumbass.

:doh:

Your scenario is far more outrageous than mine. We are already rumored to be pursuing Fletcher and Clements, and all my scenario would be doing is adding one more FA, Charles Grant, into the equation. In other threads, members have posted how we can get 20mil under the cap easily, and shown how. 20 million would be enough to sign Clements to 9 mil a year, Grant to 7 mil a year, and Fletcher to 4 mil a year. Branch would be on his rookie contract, which wouldn't be too entirely expensive.

Both Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel have been franchised, so while you may think what I think is laughable, what you think is impossible.

Not to mention, attack the idea, not the poster. Grow up.

we are going to draft branch with the #6 and then trade either our 1st or second in 2008 for a pick this year and use it on the best DE available.

I agree somewhat with this... Only depending on who would be available and what pick we trade....

But we MUST have Branch.. He is huge and strong and will plug up holes quite well. :)

Branch/Griff - SCaRY!:cheers:

I hope the Redskins have come around to my way of thinking finally. Yes the defensive line is important. I notice a few years back that the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots always seem to be drafting defensive linemen and coincidentally those teams ALWAYS seem to be making the playoffs while we sit home.

I do not understand the addiction this team has had with secondary and wide receiver in the draft and in some cases trading a number 1 pick to get a wide receiver. Meanwhile other teams, more stable and consistent teams realize that without a pass rush guys like Champ Bailey, Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers don't do you any good and without run stuffers, guys like Lavernius Coles, Santana Moss, Rod Gardner, etc are going to be on the bench instead of the field.

Get a defensive lineman. Get Branch. But next year use that number one pick on ANOTHER defensive lineman and start to build a solid front 4.

ummm...the iggles go d-line cuz they went whole hog several years ago in rebuilding their secondary. they also have an eye for talent that seems to be absent from our FO....so they can take more risks with a greater expectation of ROI.

let's be real here....no way this defense is rebuilt in one season. most likely, absent a tradedown:

- we draft branch

- we see the same merry-go-round we have seen every training camp with retread LBs and CBs

we won't get the final pieces on defense in place until the 2008 draft...there just aren't enough draft picks this year and the FA market is thin.

]']STOP with the big names! Fletcher' date=' CLements, AND Grant! Thats crazy talk...

I'd rather sign Smoot and Harper, and draft Jamaal Anderson. and pray to god that the Jets rumor for Vilma goes through.[/quote']

I agree with you. With the way Snyder has spent in seasons' past some fans on this board act like we can buy anyone out there. We need to make due with what we've got and pick up more "bargain" type players. As much as I resent that Smoot left, if we can get him back at a discount I would be all for it.

Your scenario is far more outrageous than mine. We are already rumored to be pursuing Fletcher and Clements, and all my scenario would be doing is adding one more FA, Charles Grant, into the equation. In other threads, members have posted how we can get 20mil under the cap easily, and shown how. 20 million would be enough to sign Clements to 9 mil a year, Grant to 7 mil a year, and Fletcher to 4 mil a year. Branch would be on his rookie contract, which wouldn't be too entirely expensive.

Both Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel have been franchised, so while you may think what I think is laughable, what you think is impossible.

Not to mention, attack the idea, not the poster. Grow up.

That is all possible but how about one change. Instead of clements we pick up smoot. Obviously clements is much better but smoot, fletcher, and grant as our main FA signings could possibly allow us to re-sign dock and extend cooley.

Also we might not need a top corner if we had the additions of grant and branch on the DL.

Then next year we could draft a MLB to learn under fletcher for a couple years, and a CB to eventually replace SS.

One thing that I really hope happens this offseason is please do not trade any 2008 picks.

Saints | Team expected to tag C. Grant as franchise player

Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:19:57 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/17">Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the New Orleans Saints are expected to tag DE Charles Grant as their franchise player. There has been almost no momentum in contract discussion since the end of the 2007 season.

Colts | Freeney gets franchise tag

Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:30:46 -0800

Michael Smith, of <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/9">ESPN.com, reports the Indianapolis Colts have placed the franchise tag on DE Dwight Freeney.

Charles Grant, Justin Smith, Dwight Freeney, gone. Jarred Allen is RFA and will be suspended for a few games to start the year, not to mention it will take a 1st rounder to get him.

My pick? Dewayne White as an available low-cost, high-reward signing. Won't break the bank and came on strong last year when Derrick Brooks went down.

Draft Branch. He will help the run game, make the MLB play better, and open up holes for a blitzing Archuletta, since that is about the only strength Archuletta brings us.

Drafting anyone on the DL would help out Griffin and Carter a lot. Griffin can be one of the best DTs when he is not double-teamed, and the same with with Carter, who saw the most double-teams on our team last year. And then that would help Golston, Daniels/Wynn/Salave'a/Evans of course.

I want us to trade for another 1st round pick this year. We need to get Alan Branch and another DE in the 1st round.

The defense will be alright no matter what moves that we make to this unit. I know that we had a bad year but dropping from 9 to 31, usually, happens more gradually than the way our's dropped. An, all of a sudden, drop like we made, had to be a by-product of something drastic happening and what happened to us was injuries. The injuries made GW deviate from his system and it just did not work. AA will be OK, the defense will be healthy, have a few additions and the system will work. We did not have any, outstanding, defensive talent when we were the 5th and 9th ranked defense in the league but the system worked. The DL did not, all of sudden become "old" and the MLB did not all of a sudden become "too little" we just did not have enough healthy veteran players play in every game.

There is no need to panic.

I hope the Redskins have come around to my way of thinking finally. Yes the defensive line is important. I notice a few years back that the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots always seem to be drafting defensive linemen and coincidentally those teams ALWAYS seem to be making the playoffs while we sit home.

I do not understand the addiction this team has had with secondary and wide receiver in the draft and in some cases trading a number 1 pick to get a wide receiver. Meanwhile other teams, more stable and consistent teams realize that without a pass rush guys like Champ Bailey, Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers don't do you any good and without run stuffers, guys like Lavernius Coles, Santana Moss, Rod Gardner, etc are going to be on the bench instead of the field.

Get a defensive lineman. Get Branch. But next year use that number one pick on ANOTHER defensive lineman and start to build a solid front 4.

Bondman....you complete me!! I just wish somebody in our F.O. thought the same way you do.

was i the only one that saw golston making a lot of plays on the dline? i thnk hes gunna start becoming more of a run stopper in the years to come. this being said, id like to see us draft anderson because we need a lot more help at de then we do at tackle

Archived