Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.Com Chiefs DE Allen sentenced in second DUI case

#98QBKiller

Looks like we gotta' wait for him to serve his two days in jail before we think about signing this guy...that is, if he doesn't get the franchise tag.

LEAWOOD, Kan. (Feb. 14, 2007) -- Kansas City defensive end Jared Allen will serve two days in jail for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Click link for full article:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/9997479

How does that work?

I thought UFAs were the ones that couldn't be franchised.

UFA's can be franchised, a team only gets one franchise tag per season.

RFA's are players who just finished their 3rd year. Their rights can be kept by a team for various tenders. The best tender is worth close to 2 million now I believe and requires a 1st and 3rd round pick in compensation if the player is offered a ocntract by another team. The other levels are cheaper, and lower compensation, 1st round pick, then round the player was drafted in.

I think there may be 4 levels of RFA right now, not sure, but those are 3. If Jared Allen is tendered with first round compensation, if we signed him, we'd ahve to give up our first rounder. We tendered Dockery at first round compensation last season.

UFA's can be franchised, a team only gets one franchise tag per season.

RFA's are players who just finished their 3rd year. Their rights can be kept by a team for various tenders. The best tender is worth close to 2 million now I believe and requires a 1st and 3rd round pick in compensation if the player is offered a ocntract by another team. The other levels are cheaper, and lower compensation, 1st round pick, then round the player was drafted in.

I think there may be 4 levels of RFA right now, not sure, but those are 3. If Jared Allen is tendered with first round compensation, if we signed him, we'd ahve to give up our first rounder. We tendered Dockery at first round compensation last season.

Gotcha. Now do you think that's the right thing for our team to do? I mean, we've made some poor decisions with our draft picks in the past, but would acquiring Jared Allen (who's still young and a proven force at defensive line) be safer than taking a gamble on someone like Jamaal Anderson who could or couldn't be a 1st round bust?

Or is it smarter to go with youth and coach Anderson to his full potential?

More importantly, what will our organization think is best?

Gotcha. Now do you think that's the right thing for our team to do? I mean, we've made some poor decisions with our draft picks in the past, but would acquiring Jared Allen (who's still young and a proven force at defensive line) be safer than taking a gamble on someone like Jamaal Anderson who could or couldn't be a 1st round bust?

Allen is in no way worth the 6th pick in the draft.

The Redskins are in a situation where they need to fill a number of voids and will not have many picks or cap space. Therefore trading down to acquire more picks, hence allowing more voids to be filled is logical.

If they were to trade down prior to the draft and then sign Allen, that would be a different story. I personally feel the Skins would be better drafting one of the many talented DL this year.

The Skins went the RFA way in 2003 when they signed Coles, Chad Morton and Matt Bowen. Coles cost a 1st rd pick because he was a high tendered RFA. Bowen and Morton were low tendered, so they gave up picks in the rd those guys were drafted. They tried to get another DB from the Rams, but they matched the offer. Then I think they traded Trung Canidate. :doh:

Now a days teams will put the high tender on RFA players and shop them for trades. 49ers did it with Lloyd last year. San Diego will probably do it with Michael Turner this year. The Chiefs could do it with Allen, but the Skins don't have any picks rds 2-4 to really make any thing work.

Archived