Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*** Back to yesteryear and today w/Joe Gibbs!!!***

RWJ

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3893921/

Gibbs era begins again for elated Washington fans

Coach says Redskins return will be one of hardest things he'll ever do

Updated: 8:17 p.m. ET Jan 8, 2004

WASHINGTON - Move over, Bill Parcells. Joe Gibbs has a new toughest opponent: his own legacy.

Nothing was more evident Thursday when Gibbs was given an unprecedented hero’s — no, a savior’s — welcome as the returning coach of the Washington Redskins.

“I reached a point in my life where you love the thrill of trying to do something that’s almost undoable,” the Hall of Fame coach said. “Certainly this is probably as close to that as you can get.”

Gibbs emerged from a five-limousine parade and was greeted by cheers and the blare of a horn playing “Hail to the Redskins” as he strode down a path lined with orange cones and barricades. One fan held a white sign that read: “Joe Gibbs: God, Mr. Snyder: Genius, Being A Redskins Fan: Priceless.”

Back after 11 years, Gibbs said that if there was one thing that made him hesitate, it was the thought of returning to the place where he won the three Super Bowl trophies that shone so immaculately in front of his news conference podium.

“There is no net,” Gibbs said with a panicked laugh. “I’m going to pray a lot. There’s nothing down there. There’s nothing going to catch us. That’s maybe the biggest thrill of it — knowing how hard it is, but getting a chance to do something super-hard.”

Gibbs explained his decision to return in a packed auditorium that included several of his former players, including Mark Moseley, Gary Clark and Joe Jacoby. Auxiliary monitors and speakers were set up in the hallway. Such measures have never been used before at Redskins Park.

Only Michael Jordan’s two comeback news conferences — returning to the NBA to join the management of the Wizards, then the end of his retirement as a player 20 months later — have surpassed such hype in the sports world of the nation’s capital in recent years.

“I didn’t wear my Super Bowl ring,” said Gibbs, holding up his hand. “This is all new. The past don’t buy much, other than relationships. I’ve got to prove myself all over again.”

Just to drive home the point, Gibbs referred to the fact that his former Giants nemesis Parcells had the league’s top-ranked defense this season with Dallas.

“We may not make a yard!” Gibbs said, raising his hands to his temples.

Gibbs’ departure after the 1992 season was family-related — his sons were growing up without him. Now his sons have sons. Gibbs’ son J.D. is president of the successful Joe Gibbs Racing NASCAR team, which can now run itself without its namesake. The other son, Coy, wanted to get back into coaching and will join Gibbs’ new Redskins staff.

In other words, this was the perfect time for the 63-year-old coach to return, even though he had been at peace for years with his decision to retire.

“I apologize to all those people to whom I said ’No way,”’ Gibbs said.

“My race team had matured,” said Gibbs, explaining his turnabout. “It was a lot of things, and it all kind of added up. If I had asked (wife) Pat any of those other years, it would have been a ’No way, read my lips’ deal.”

Gibbs has a five-year deal worth approximately $25 million, but he said money took up only the final two minutes of several hours of negotiations with owner Dan Snyder.

“I knew he’d treat me right,” Gibbs said.

Gibbs was given the title of team president and said he will have “final say on the roster.” He does not have the same contractual authority over all personnel matters that Snyder gave to Marty Schottenheimer three years ago.

Gibbs already has five assistants in place. Former Buffalo Bills coach Gregg Williams will be the team’s sixth defensive coordinator in six years. Joe Bugel returns to coach the offensive line, the same job he held when he oversaw the famed “Hogs” under Gibbs from 1981-89. Don Breaux, Jack Burns and Coy Gibbs will also be on the offensive staff.

Gibbs admitted he has a “steep learning curve” to learn what has passed him by in his years away from the game. Computers and the salary cap are just two of the elements that weren’t around during his Super Bowl years.

Gibbs often slept on a cot at Redskins Park during his first tenure. He’s promised his wife he’ll come home at night this time around, and his diagnosis as a diabetic a few years ago means he has to take better care of his health.

Still, the more he talked, the more it sounded as if the long office hours would still be a part of his routine.

“There’s no getting around it,” he said. “In football, you’ve got to bust it.”

Gibbs said it was difficult watching the Redskins lose over the last few years. They’ve been to the playoffs only once since he left. He replaces Steve Spurrier, who quit last week after a 5-11 season.

Gibbs said he “talked some” in recent weeks to the Atlanta Falcons about their head coaching vacancy, but his heart was in Washington.

“This is where I had those times,” Gibbs said. “I couldn’t coach anywhere else.”

Now folks, hopefully you have read this article from yesteryear carefully. Joe was a winner before and he will leave a winner again. I have all the faith in JG today, like I did yesterday. He has a 5 year commitment to this team and he wants to right the ship. He knew coming back that this would be a very big challenge. Moves have been made and will be made and in the end he will prevail. Don't get me wrong, he's not GOD or the saviour, but a Hall of Fame coach that won in the past when it was his time and is learning today and will win again. I respect players like Darrell Green and others that say it has passed him by, but until he says it has, we have to keep the faith.

Thank you.

I with you in theory.

Just reading that brought me back to the sheer joy, that rivaled any Super Bowl win, that I felt when it was announced that Joe Gibbs was coming back.

Still, nobody would have expected 6-10 10-6 5-11 after 3 years into Gibbs' return. With the team looking lost and further from contention after his 3rd season than it was after his 1st.

There's no other way to describe Gibbs 2 at this point other than a major disappointment.

But I'm still hoping he can turn this around. But I admit, that it's now only HOPE and I no longer EXPECT it like I did in 2004.

Guest Rafterman
I with you in theory.

Just reading that brought me back to the sheer joy, that rivaled any Super Bowl win, that I felt when it was announced that Joe Gibbs was coming back.

Still, nobody would have expected 6-10 10-6 5-11 after 3 years into Gibbs' return. With the team looking lost and further from contention after his 3rd season than it was after his 1st.

There's no other way to describe Gibbs 2 at this point other than a major disappointment.

But I'm still hoping he can turn this around. But I admit, that it's now only HOPE and I no longer EXPECT it like I did in 2004.

AMEN

His record speaks for itself, and it S*CKS!

He's made some very boneheaded, out of touch moves. Too make matters worse he's to stubborn to admit his mistakes, SEE: Mark Boo-nell.

I hope that Dan Synder makes every effort to get Cowher or Belichick here.

AMEN

His record speaks for itself, and it S*CKS!

He's made some very boneheaded, out of touch moves. Too make matters worse he's to stubborn to admit his mistakes, SEE: Mark Boo-nell.

I hope that Dan Synder makes every effort to get Cowher or Belichick here.

What about a record of 10-6 and a playoff win? You forget so easily. It's "what have you done for me lately." Stop criticizing him for starting Brunell and have some faith, or cheer for someone else.

i personally would not want to see snyder go after the 'big name' guys again, i.e. cowher, belichik...but rather, would like to see some very fresh, up and comming guy with new ideas, and able to relate to todays players...

it's time to start new. i am older than many here that post, not savy much in all the new techno stuff like the young guns....but i can say this...i enjoyed gibbs 1! i was comming into my peak as a fan of the game in the late 70's, early 80's...

that was before xbox,ps1,2,3..etc..also, before espn 1 ,2...extreme skinz ...all the fun stuff that we have now!

but football was fun then too, smashmouth ruled the day, in my mind, and many others, the real glory days..but only as we remember it, right?

but to be realistic, its a young mans game, both as a player and as a coaching staff i think..

i would rather not see another recycled head coach here..

word association:

cowher= steelers

belechik=pats

GIBBS= burgandy and gold, even buges had to come back home to roost to finish his career

so lets not rehash any other 'come to d.c. for the money' guys...

go young, fresh, let them create new nicknames, new memories, a new generation of fans ...at the place they will call their 'old dump'... fed ex field in a few years

take the cap hit, dump the old battle hardened guys, and get fresh legs and ideas ..

i look foward to my son telling his son about ' those good ol days'

(my 2 cents)

Gibbs is a great guy and a good coach in several areas. But I think the two most critical areas he has struggled in unfortunately happen to be the two most important in the modern era. First off, the obvious personel power he has and the overspending/wasting of draft picks. And from a coaching perspective, poor game management and clock management. Two minute drills, challenges, 4th downs-- have been nothing less than abhorrent. He needs to stop worrying so much and take some risks.

Guest Rafterman
What about a record of 10-6 and a playoff win? You forget so easily. It's "what have you done for me lately." Stop criticizing him for starting Brunell and have some faith, or cheer for someone else.

:doh:

Sorry but I don't need your advice.

You see, I predate Gibbs.

I rooted for the team when George Allen was HC, and Billy Kilmer was the QB.

Coaches and players come and go, it's the team that remains.

Gibbs time has come and gone.

Guest Rafterman
I hope Danny Boy makes EVERY effort to sell this once proud franchise to a

person who can better run a football team.

I have mixed emotions about Dan Synder. He means well but he was only 34 when he bought this team. He lacked the experience of owners like JKC, the Rooney's and the Mara's. There is a learning curve for owners just like there is for everything else in life. Perhaps Dan Synder will turn out all right.

A coach like Bill Cowher or Bill Belichick would go a long way in helping him along.

If you were the Danny would you want to take a chance on a young coach nobody knows about?

Remember the Spurrier can't miss in the NFL thing?

Gibbs could quit like Parcells but he hasn't. The washed up comment in the other thread has me pissed. IMHO Gibbs will end up winning and leave us in better shape than when he came here.

Guest Rafterman
Gibbs is a great guy and a good coach in several areas. But I think the two most critical areas he has struggled in unfortunately happen to be the two most important in the modern era. First off, the obvious personel power he has and the overspending/wasting of draft picks. And from a coaching perspective, poor game management and clock management. Two minute drills, challenges, 4th downs-- have been nothing less than abhorrent. He needs to stop worrying so much and take some risks.

At times during games I feel very sorry for him, he looks totally lost out there. The personel moves he has made... :doh:

:doh:

Sorry but I don't need your advice.

You see, I predate Gibbs.

I rooted for the team when George Allen was HC, and Billy Kilmer was the QB.

Coaches and players come and go, it's the team that remains.

Gibbs time has come and gone.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=918000&postcount=4

Barring death, Coach Gibbs will get it done.

It's a painful process but the end result will be well worth it. :helmet:

The fans wanted Joe Gibbs fired his first time. During his first season.

Give these coaches time. They are bound to get it right through making mistakes.

Give Snyder time. He is still a new owner. Its not like this is Norv Turner 7 years.

Snyder is one of the best owners in the NFL. He is not the smartest right now. But he is younger than most.

Good find, Om.

It doesn't matter how old you are or how long you've been a fan - if you're rooting for Snyder to get rid of our HOF coach then there's something wrong with you. We had a bad year. Get over it.

If anything Joe Gibbs has earned the right to coach this team as long as he wants. He's like Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden - he's had some bad seasons but next year could be a playoff year for all we know. Don't count out the best coach we've ever had. He said that he will "right the ship" and I for one believe him.

Yep, I had hope.

One should always try to have hope.

Unfortunately, three years was long enough to prove me wrong.

He was good his second year. Why do people same the same thing.

He has proven he can win his second stint . If anything when he was calling the plays he proved more than being the CEO.

He was not coaching this year. When he was coaching he did a good job.

Its amazing how people say the same stuff. The game has passed him by. That would hold weight if Saunders was not the offensive cordinator.

Gibbs took the JOPA role this year. In 05 he was active in coaching. And 05 they went to the playoffs and a top 11 offense.

How can he be so washed up?

Yep, I had hope.

One should always try to have hope.

Unfortunately, three years was long enough to prove me wrong.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=820242&postcount=52

The Skins will be fine. Gibbs knows what he's doing and unlike Turner and

Spurrier he CORRECTS problems.

Trade Ramsey? WTF! the team needs a good backup and that's exactly what

he's going to be this season. Portis is going to be more important than

Champ over the long haul. Brunell was simply the best veteran QB

available. It all comes back to one thing, Joe Jackson Gibbs is THE MAN.

Try to second guess Coach if you want, but you will lose.

Or, perhaps you were just as dead sure you were right then that Gibbs knows what he's doing and will correct problems as you're dead sure now his time has come and gone?

Does that say more about Gibbs ... or you? :)

Throw out 2004. That year was about getting his legs back after 11 years and finding out what he had here. Nothing more should be read into it.

2005 ended in the 2nd round of the playoffs, a play or two from the NFC title game with a D capable of winning there and maybe one more.

2006 was a disaster. But only the most arrogant among us purports to know exactly why it played out that way and who is "to blame."

Right now Gibbs is one up and one down.

2007 will be the year that tells us about Gibbs II.

The biggest mistake Gibbs did was have a soft training camp. In my opinion.

He listen to the players after a good year. And it set the tone for the whole year.

That was Gibbs thinking players were mature. These new age players need discipline.

Things will change. And we will learn from our mistakes.

I put my money on Snyder and Gibbs. They are at the top of their professions for a reason.

And they will not us fickle fans get in their way.

For those vehement about Gibbs staying.......I know a lot of things will impact how we do next year, such as Campbell's development, if the defense can rebound, injuries, etc. But what would be the things to occur in the 2007 season.....and you can attach a W-L record to it......that would cause you to reconsider your position on Gibbs and encourage him to retire after the 2007 season?

I think that we'll probably finish around 8-8 next year in an up-and-down which will be enough of an upswing to be supportive of a Gibbs' 5th year. But I think the threads which ask people's opinions on who the next coach will be are fair, becuase at some point this team does have to look towards its future. I think just about everyone on here was thrilled to have JG back in 2004, but his second stint so far has been disappointing. And for as much griping that goes on about the defense, we need the offense for once to be consistent over the course of the season for this team to have a prayer. Bringing in Saunders and having Campbell behind center will hopefully have long-run payoff, but the performance of the offense during the first nine games of 2006 under Brunell (with the exception of the Jaguar game) was just atrocious.

I remember being ten years old and watching the Redskins during the '91 season and my favorite person on the team was not Gary Clark or Charles Mann or even Darrell Green. No, the guy I looked for the most was Joe Gibbs. Even at ten I knew by watching him on the sidelines that he was a warrior, and I would stand there with him in my living room holding my clipboard with football plays from the boys club team I was on and pretend I was the coach. The only difference was that while I would scream and shout and jump about for every touchdown scored or pass dropped, Joe Gibbs' expression always remained the same, whether we were up by 45 points or down 45 (which never happened, of course) he was the same unflappable, unstoppable tight-lipped steel-eyed monster, like some giant Spartan crushing the life out of his foes. And it's weird for me as an agnostic fourteen years later and jaded already to sit here at work and all I can think is I do believe in him, like Moses coming down the mountain I do believe that he will lead us out of the darkness. I should be working but I'm standing with Joe Gibbs on a fall afternoon in 1991 and jumping up and down like an insane person taunting who's gonna beat the 'Skins this year.

For those vehement about Gibbs staying.......I know a lot of things will impact how we do next year, such as Campbell's development, if the defense can rebound, injuries, etc. But what would be the things to occur in the 2007 season.....and you can attach a W-L record to it......that would cause you to reconsider your position on Gibbs and encourage him to retire after the 2007 season?

Perfectly fair question. One you half-answered yourself in the bolded part above.

Beyond that, I'll be looking past the W-L record and focusing on how the team plays.

On whether whatever off-field stuff affected the D so dramatically has been addressed and the unit plays balls-out again like in the first two years. For a dramatic reduction in brainfart penalties and blown assignment. For nebulous but incredibly important factors like "spark" and "chemistry" and for a team that finishes games smart and strong. For signs that Gibbs & Saunders have gotten in sync and the offense has a clear identity from opening day. For resilience--do they bounce back when things go bad or do they falter?

That kind of thing. :)

If they finish 8-8 as you say, it will depend on how they finish and why they lost that many. If some of those losses are close hard losses where they played hard but just came up short due to the bounce of the ball, a close call, a key injury---the kind of thing that happens in the NFL even to good teams---and they finish strong and playing together, it would be foolish to want to change head coaches again.

If its because many of the same problems we saw this year happen again, however, and they're wildly inconsistent and underachieve and there remain questions about chemistry and direction ... I expect no one will have to wish for Gibbs to leave. He'll step down on his own, and I would support the decision.

Archived