Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

That's it, I'm officially off the Spurrier bandwagon

Awesome

Ok, I've had it. Until he takes this team to the playoffs, I'm off the Steve Spurrier bandwagon.

Now I know he's a first year coach, and I really wasn't expecting much more than 9-7 or 8-8 this season. But poor playcalling have cost this team at least two winnable games.

I mean come on, Davis runs for 13 yards; we're up 17-16 and are at midfield. The clock is running, the field is wet, Shane Matthews is our QB, and the Giants have given up a ton of rushing yards in their last three games. And what does SS do, he throws three straight times, and gives the ball, and the game to the Giants.

Now I know he is a rookie head coach and still has much to learn about the NFL. But there seem to be some very basic elements of football that he either refuses to conform to , or is just too damned stupid to see. I don't believe SS is a stupid man. In fact, I think he's quite brilliant. But I swear to God, he has let his ego and stubborness get in the way of winning a football game for the second week in a row, and for me that is a crime, completely unacceptable.

He's been at this since April and should know what he's got for a team. But he continues to force a gameplan on a team that lacks the horses to pull it off. He flatout refuses to design the gameplan to fit the players.

I think the chances of SS succeeding in Washingon are greater than the chances of him failing. Once he gets the players he needs, a strong pass blocking O-line, a competent QB, and a true deep threat at WR, I think he'll do fine. Right now though, I see a coach that is refusing to adapt his style and gameplan to his team. To me, that stinks of arrogance and stubborness.

Yes, the team he inherited was not his own. But, it is a talented team, especially on Defense. This team would be 6-4 right now if SS had played to it's strengths. But he didn't.

So, like I said, until he takes this team to the playoffs, I'm going to second guess the effectiveness of Steve Spurrier as the head coach of the Washington Redskins.

And one more thing, if Danny Weurffel walks onto the field next week against the Rams, I'm not watching:puke:

"Until he takes us to the playoffs, I'm off the bandwagon."

You can't put a conditional status on your bandwagon membership, man. Either you are on or you are off, no ifs ands or buts about it. "Well, I'll only support the Redskins when they go to the superbowl." That's just being a fair weather fan.

True, suffering through the bad times make the good times that much sweeter. But, mphilips16 makes some good points some of which I have made and have disturbed me. The comment made about the man INSISTING TO THROW THE DAMN BALL when a real football coach could see the opponent's weakness to the run and use it to his advantage just tells me the man puts his ego ahead of the team well being and that is scary.

Never said I'm off the Redskins bandwagon. I've been on it since I could talk and even if I wanted to, I don't think I could ever stop loving the Washington Redskins.

What I meant was, I have lost much of the confidence I have had in SS as a competent football coach. Heck, we all proclaimed him the savior of the kingdom before he even set foot on the practice field. We all hailed him the chief b/c he tore it up in the SEC for 10 years.

Early on, I was like "But look at what he did at Florida!" Now, I don't give a rat's a$$ what he, or anyone for that matter, did at Florida, b/c guess what, these are NOT the Florida Redskins.

These are the Washington Redskins. They play in the smash-mouth NFC East division against smash mouth teams. In November and December, it gets cold, it gets wet, it gets dirty. In order to compete in this division, you play solid D and you run the ball. The weather dictates it above all else.

What I have witnessed over the last few games is a coach who still thinks that he's playing in Florida and , by the force of his will, he can "pitch and catch all over the place." Bottom line, not in this division, and especially not until you get the right players. Hey Steve, these are the cards you were dealt this year, play them, don't force a hand you wish you had. In time, you'll get the right pieces. But until then, don't force the team to be something it's not.

Let's face it, barring an absolute miracle, this team isn't going to the playoffs, for the ninth time in ten years. I would rather see what we've got in players like Betts, Ramsey, and McCants, and go down in a ball of flames, then keep trying to salvage what has become a landfill of a season.

And in case y'all didn't hear me the first time, If Danny Weurffel starts ahead of Patrick Ramsey, I'm not watching, I swear to GOD!!!

Originally posted by GoSkins

I'll never jump off the bandwagon. Just kick me when you jump off. I'm the one in the back corner, curled up in the fetal position, crying, and talking out loud to myself like a crazy person.

Funny, all this time I thought that was Richie Pettibon

I expected better this year ... Shane Matthews is a joke without blocking ... I have no idea who he is throwing to at times. But I still believe Steve Spurrior will take the Skins to the SuperBowl in three years ... and win it. Missing some pieces right now ... but when he gets an O line ... we will score.

I am not impressed with the defense, I also expected more from them this year. I put that on Lewis. Have to think by next year his players will better understand their assignments and play consistent D.

I'm a Skin .... 6-10 .... I'm a Skin.... just not a happy one.

You can't put a conditional status on your bandwagon membership, man. Either you are on or you are off, no ifs ands or buts about it. "Well, I'll only support the Redskins when they go to the superbowl." That's just being a fair weather fan.
Check me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that EXACTLY what being a bandwagon fan is about ... jumping on and off with momentum?

There's hope for this season yet! We still got Dallas twice, right? And hey, has any team ever finished 8-8 for three straight years? Straight trailblazin', man!

:laugh:

Sing it brother Brave :silly: Well, since cskin has everything else, I'll take whatever bottle he leaves behind.....promise to share. :pint: whew....now I can stretch my legs.

"And one more thing, if Danny Weurffel walks onto the field next week against the Rams, I'm not watching"

Gee, that'll learn 'em.

You said you would never give up on the redskins, but then you go and say, "If DW starts, I won't watch" sounds like giving up on the Skins to me.

I agree with most of the posters here, he!! I think all of them, you can't jump on and off the bandwagon, you root for your team through the good times as well as the bad times. It makes the good times so much better.

If that's a bottle of Rumplemintz in your pocket, please leave it on the bandwagon, it gets mighty chilly in December.

Archived