Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Portis our new era John Riggins?

chaught76

This is not a bash Portis thread and we all have different opinions about what Clinton said in his last interview.

What I want to know is how closely does Portis's actions (attitude, personality, etc. on & off the field) mimic that of John Riggins when he was here and how did Joe Gibbs handle Riggins and the press? To me Portis and Riggins seem a lot alike: outspoken, flashy, one of, if not best, player on the roster. I never got the privilege to watch John Riggins on the field that much and as I got I older, I learned he was quite the character himself.

I like to hear from those who had the opportunity to hear Riggins talk and play. Thanks for any feedback.

HTTR!!! :helmet:

Riggo was very entertaining to say the least and everybody loved him for it. He never complained about being played in a preseason game though :)

I will always remember the look on his face when he scored the winning touchdown in the Skin's first Superbowl win. It defined his toughness and determination to win at any cost.

It's hard to say... different times in those days.

I've seen, read and heard more about the Skins in the last few years than I can recall ever being aware of during Gibbs' first tenure here.

But...

I don't recall Riggo referring to himself in the third person.

I don't recall Riggo opining on "in house" matters in public.

I do recall his gaffs being the talk of the town and perhaps the nation, but the general consensus then... was that of "boys will be boys".

I do recall him being rebellious towards how the team was paying and handling him, he consequently took his "time off", without pay, without a cap hit, without guaranteed money, without whining to the press and with the knowledge that if he did not play for the Skins ....he would not play at all.

I don't recall overt displays of celebration on the field (other than the infamous bow to the fans) after a big play.

I do recall Riggo's Rangers..... They perhaps got a little too ****y before they played the Raiders in SB18, but IMO deservedly so, after a phenomenal season.

Riggo and Portis both do "take it to the field". Portis is still in his twenties.... Riggo did most of his work after thirty.

Both might be considered the "free spirits" of their "football" generations

riggostats.jpg

Riggins was outstanding during the playoffs, gaining 444 yards in victories over the Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, and Dallas Cowboys
(this was after his 533 yds of 82 regular season, then followed up with 166 yds in the SB vs Miami)

yeah but without the 3.5 ypc

Riggins' career average was 3.9 yards per carry.

Translates into:

1st down, Riggins carries. 3.9 yards. Second down and 6.1 yards to go.

2nd down, Riggins carries. 3.9 yards. Third down and 2.2 yards to go.

3rd down, Riggins carries. 3.9 yards. FIRST DOWN!!!

Rinse, repeat. Result? Long, time eating drives for scores. And Redskins' victories. They had a name for this. They called it the Riggo Drill.

its only cause the redskins were winners that people think he was cute or funny. if the redskins were 3-8 and he showed up to a game drunk people would flip. but when the team is 11-0 its funny that hes drunk. all just in how you spin it is all.

Seems like you are the "Negative Nanny" for the site... Don't you ever have anything decent to say? :mad:

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

:notworthy

Seems like you are the "Negative Nanny" for the site... Don't you ever have anything decent to say? :mad:

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

jesus, i get reamed for being realistic? the guy was a drunk and a behavior problem kinda guy, but it got overlooked cause the redskins mauled people back then. if he pulled that kinda stuff on our team today there would be 12039 threads about how hes not a joe gibbs kinda guy, but again, because the redskins were so good, it gets overlooked as being "oh thats john riggins, what a silly character he is". please tell me where im wrong on this one???

Get this kid some game film. Young 'uns have no appreciation for the past. They just look at stats and make blanket assumptions.

Actually, he's right.

I remember Riggins (at least the 80's version) and have all the Skins games from his most successful era of football 82-84.

Riggins was a plodder and if Clinton Portis right now had the line that Riggins had back then, :yikes:

What Riggins (and of course the Oline) was great at and something Portis (especially at his age) needs to improve on is wearing down a D and then his "plods" in the first quarter turned into punishing time consuming rumbles into the defense. CP gets winded a bit too much for my taste (that pretty much is my only critique of him because otherwise I love everything about CP as a player).

Like always when I've gotten into this CP vs. Riggins debate, I always stipulate that I don't remember and I don't have any games from Riggins in his younger days as a Jet so I can't compare them at similar points in their career.

But strictly as a runner, CP now is the best runner Joe Gibbs has ever had. :2cents:

As for off the field stuff. Portis has not done anything yet remotely as harmful as what Riggins did in 1980 and leaving his team for a year and as far as PR, the drunken episode with Sandra Day O'Conner in 1985 was not treated as "boys will be boys". It was embarrassing to the franchise and to all Redskin fans.

jesus, i get reamed for being realistic? the guy was a drunk and a behavior problem kinda guy, but it got overlooked cause the redskins mauled people back then. if he pulled that kinda stuff on our team today there would be 12039 threads about how hes not a joe gibbs kinda guy, but again, because the redskins were so good, it gets overlooked as being "oh thats john riggins, what a silly character he is". please tell me where im wrong on this one???

It's not that you are wrong per se, but the fact that 75% of your posts are in a negative fashion. Of course I guess that would explain why I've been here since Jan. of '02 - Member #650 - Post #'s 395. But then I see your stats of Oct. '06 - Member # 63153 - Post #'s 661.

I generally am not here to bash or belittle members of the team or this site.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

It's not that you are wrong per se, but the fact that 75% of your posts are in a negative fashion. Of course I guess that would explain why I've been here since Jan. of '02 - Member #650 - Post #'s 395. But then I see your stats of Oct. '06 - Member # 63153 - Post #'s 661.

I generally am not here to bash or belittle members of the team or this site.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

we went 5-11. sorry im not positive enough for you.

Riggins was tough. Even when he was beat to hell, he suited up and played. And played well. He played for 9 seasons for us.

Riggins was a winner. He singlehandedly took over a Superbowl.

Riggins was a fighter. He didn't bounce out of bounds to avoid a hit. He made defenders want to bounce out of bounds to avoid a hit.

Riggins got better as the stakes got higher. In the playoffs, his TDs/rush went up 25%. In the Skins 6 postseason wins, he ran the ball an average of 33 times.

If Portis wants to be Riggins, it takes more than just being a character off the field. He's got to be a monster on the field.

we went 5-11. sorry im not positive enough for you.

It's the fact that you are posting in a negative fashion against a HOF Redskin. Yes Riggo had his issues, but if this kind of negativity is all that can be brought against him then it's better left unposted.

True enough that each person is entitled to their own opinion and that this is a forum to put them out there. And I am not trying to slam or brlittle you either B.L.C. It's frustration more or less. I guess i'm just tired of the way some of the newbs to this site have pretty much put most of us "original members" through our own version of hell with the negativity and slamming going on here. It wasn't like this in the old days!!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

It's the fact that you are posting in a negative fashion against a HOF Redskin. Yes Riggo had his issues, but if this kind of negativity is all that can be brought against him then it's better left unposted.

True enough that each person is entitled to their own opinion and that this is a forum to put them out there. And I am not trying to slam or brlittle you either B.L.C. It's frustration more or less. I guess i'm just tired of the way some of the newbs to this site have pretty much put most of us "original members" through our own version of hell with the negativity and slamming going on here. It wasn't like this in the old days!!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

i have nothing against john riggins, he was an incredible football player and the face of this franchise in our glory days. i love his style of running and he was the best thing that happened to this team in the 80s, other than gibbs. the only reason it looks like im "bashing" him is because of all the hate that has swirled around for portis for the past 2 days because of some comments he made on a radio show that were all true. to some of us, portis is our riggins, great runner and face of the franchise, yet everybody seems so eager to trade the guy cause he called some people out. so many negative comments for portis yet riggins sat out a whole season to drink but we cant say anything negative about the guy because hes in the hall of fame.

this thread was comparing portis to riggins. both are faces of the franchise, both had some off the field issues. it seems like its even painful for you to admit that riggins was a big trouble maker.

Riggins was tough. Even when he was beat to hell, he suited up and played. And played well. He played for 9 seasons for us.

Riggins was a winner. He singlehandedly took over a Superbowl.

Riggins was a fighter. He didn't bounce out of bounds to avoid a hit. He made defenders want to bounce out of bounds to avoid a hit.

Riggins got better as the stakes got higher. In the playoffs, his TDs/rush went up 25%. In the Skins 6 postseason wins, he ran the ball an average of 33 times.

If Portis wants to be Riggins, it takes more than just being a character off the field. He's got to be a monster on the field.

riggins would't last in the nfl nowdays

riggins 6'2 230 lbs

portis 5'11 212

they have pretty similar builds since riggins was taller

i have nothing against john riggins, he was an incredible football player and the face of this franchise in our glory days. i love his style of running and he was the best thing that happened to this team in the 80s, other than gibbs. the only reason it looks like im "bashing" him is because of all the hate that has swirled around for portis for the past 2 days because of some comments he made on a radio show that were all true. to some of us, portis is our riggins, great runner and face of the franchise, yet everybody seems so eager to trade the guy cause he called some people out. so many negative comments for portis yet riggins sat out a whole season to drink but we cant say anything negative about the guy because hes in the hall of fame.

this thread was comparing portis to riggins. both are faces of the franchise, both had some off the field issues. it seems like its even painful for you to admit that riggins was a big trouble maker.

the best post ive read on this forum...

I am still missing these off the field incidents with Portis? Riggo was great but that was 20+ years ago. Let's live in the now and see how the FO can right the ship.

Well, no one has mentioned building a time machine...we're living in the now and comparing a current Redskin to a Redskin great.

To me, the comparison is flawed. Riggo was talented, but he succeeded based on heart and competitive fire.

CP is very gifted and plays very hard but has the potential to blow Riggo out of the water.

When all is said and done though, Riggo will remain the most loved Redskin running back of all time due to his dominance in the playoffs and SB XVII. That 4th down run is not only Redskin history but a top-10 Super Bowl moment.

No, you get reamed because of your username and making asanine remarks when discussing our former players.

Tell me, how has Brandon Lloyd proved himself worthy to even have his name on this site?

:logo:

Archived