Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Good Things to Come out of 2006

MonkFan8

Well, this season didn't pan out the way most of us thought it would. However, in my eyes there were a select few things that we as fans should be thankful for going into the 2007 season. Feel free to post your thoughts or other things that we can be optomistic about.

5) Ladell Betts: Say what you want, Betts earned his 5 year extension. I expect him to give CP a run for his money for the starting position next season, but ultimately, having both in the backfield will be a huge benifit. 5 straight 100 yard rushing games, and great hands out of the backfield. I feel the fumble issue will be fixed next season and we'll really see what a healthy offense can do.

4) How did Ladell get all those yards you ask? The play of our offensive line. Yeah, they're getting older, but would you have guessed it? The most encouraging thing to me is that all-pro Chris Sameuls may not have even played the best of the bunch. And c'mon, how could you not love our center playing with a broken hand? Additionally, we only let up 19 total sacks this season, 4th best in the NFL. The best way to help out our young QB is too keep the pressure off him, and they perfected it. The 5th best rushing offense without CP gives me reason to feel good about next season.

3) There's not much to look at on the defensive end. Injuries and mistakes took a toll on even our best defensive players. However, to me, the second half of the season I watched a bust turn into a beast. Andre Carter gives me reason to be hopeful that this seasons poor performance was an aberration. 4 sacks in the last 5 games provides a glimpse of things to come.

2) Is it possible that the best play of any Redskins team was on special teams? Swarming play by role players Mike Sellers and James Thrash held opponents to few big returns. With the 5th best return average in the league on kickoffs, the Skins allowed no kickoffs or punts to be returned for touchdowns. On the other side of the ball, Rock Cartwright did his best to provide the offense good field position while recieving the ball 64 times for 1541 yards (2nd most in the league). While ARE didn't have a great season returning punts, he didn't make any mistakes, which is a great attribute in a punt returner. I'm looking for him to have more than 1 return TD next season.

Most importantly perhaps was the play of Derrick Frost and Sean Suisham. Coming into the season, the kicking and punting game were huge question marks. In 5 games with the Skins, Suisham proved to be reliable. Making 8 of his 9 field goals, his only miss coming from over 50 yards. His deep kickoffs were a welcome sight, too. Despite not having gaudy numbers, Frost became more reliable as the season progressed. Combined with good coverage, Frost limited his shanks and punted well.

1) Not surprisingly, the most encouraging thing to me was the play of our quarterback, Jason Campbell. The stats may not show it, but I firmly believe we've found our QB of the future. From his beautifully thrown deep ball, to his poise and mobility in the pocket, Campbell's first season was a success. With the entire offseason to build a rapport with our explosive recieving core, I truely believe we'll see a cohesive unit next season lead by #17.

Anyway, those are just a few of the good things I thought came from this disappointing season. Feel free to add any more you can think of!

Well, I admire your optimism.

Ladell is good, but not great. And, he has a huge fumbling problem. Not good.

Andre Carter is a pass rusher, but he is too small at the point of attack to be effective against the run and it killed us all season. We need a new d-line and linebackers.

Great post, its nice to read something positive every once in a while.

I agree with just about everything, although I am not completely sold on Campbell yet.

Andre Carter was a pleasant surprise the last half of the season. Agreed, he's one dementional right now but I believe as he gets more comfortable he'll improve in that category as well.

That being said, I think its extremely important that we pick up Branch in the draft. He's a big body that can stop the run and collapse the pocket in passing situations, which will give our ends more opportunites at sacks and give our corners a chance at more big plays.

I prefer Branch because he's nasty, but also because I dont believe we need a great corner, just a couple good corners, which should be available in free agency.

The Betts/Portis issue is interesting. I actually prefer Betts because of salary considerations. I think if we can get rid of Portis's salary, and sign a good FA, (CB, DL, MLB) or maybe two of such, for Portis's salary I am happy with Betts in the role. Remember, 2 years ago Rocky did not do too bad when he had to fill in. Then with our draft pick shore up DL, and next year not trade away picks and draft heavily offensive line and DL, I think our team will be strong.

# 1 good thing: In simple terms it appears as though the offense has been fixed. I am very pleased about the potential of the offense next season without any "upgrades". Another year of experience with the playmakers within the system bodes well for next in the system.

Archived