Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Be Glad YOU don't live in Memphis TN.

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

Do any outsiders see something wrong with this?

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5811834&nav=menu59_2

MPD says "good-bye" to Metro DUI Unit

The team charged with getting drunk drivers off the streets is made up of primarily Sheriff's Deputies and Memphis Police Officers, but that's about to change.

Tuesday, Sheriff Mark Luttrell received a letter from the city's top cop letting him know that MPD was pulling out of Metro DUI.

"We had some indication about a month ago that the city was considering withdrawing. Director Godwin sought me out and reassured me, no they weren't," says Luttrel."

Director Larry Godwin then changed his mind.

"It's the responsibility of the the Memphis Police Department to be highly visible, to be proactive, to deter DUI, and I think we can do a better job of it if we bring it under the umbrella of Blue Crush," Godwin.

"That's crazy. It's going to give drunk drivers the upper hand," says Dell Russell, spokesperson for the West Tennessee Affiliate of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

Russell says not having officers solely dedicated to DUI is a mistake.

Russell adds, "It will be harder to write the tickets for DUI. If you don't write the tickets you won't get the convictions. It's going to make MPD officers work harder and be even thinner in the field."

Director Godwin says this system will serve Memphis citizens better.

Sheriff Luttrell has the task of looking for other ways to keep a DUI unit at its current level of operation.

"We'll be reaching out to the suburban communities," says Luttrell."

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

:notworthy

I thought this post was going to be about this:

Judge says strip clubs will remain closed

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_5216201,00.html

Two topless nightclubs raided and padlocked last week in a major drug-trafficking and prostitution investigation will remain closed at least until January.

State prosecutors and attorneys for the clubs agreed this morning in court to postpone a hearing until Jan. 11 before General Sessions Criminal Court Judge Larry Potter.

The Dec. 9 raids involved Platinum Plus at 2514 Mt. Moriah and Tunica Cabaret & Resort at 5599 Highway 61 S., where 75 employees were indicted on state or federal charges involving illegal drug sales, prostitution and gun offenses.

The hearing next month will determine whether there is sufficient evidence for the judge to issue a temporary restraining order to keep the clubs closed until a full trial can be held.

The state is seeking to have the clubs closed permanently as public nuisances and to seize their assets such as furniture and fixtures. Federal forefeiture petitions have been filed to seize the buildings and property as tools of a criminal enterprise.

Ralph Lunati, who owns Platinum Plus and is part-owner of the Tunica club, declined comment as he left court. Jason Youngblood, another part-owner of the Tunica club, also declined comment.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong or haven't had enough coffee... am I the only one that doesn't come away from that article with a clear picture of just what is happening?

- What the hell is "Blue Crush"?

- How will this give drunk drivers the "upper hand"?

- Why will it be more difficult to write tickets?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong or haven't had enough coffee... am I the only one that doesn't come away from that article with a clear picture of just what is happening?

Destino,

Here is a link with a description of what "Blue Crush" is.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/StoryLead.aspx?id=92313

The Memphis Police Department is thinking outside the box to be able to put more criminals in one.

Operation Blue C.R.U.S.H. (Crime Reduction Using Statistical History) involves using mapping and statistical information to target crime hot spots and chronic perpetrators.

"It's putting the right people in the right places on the right day at the right time," said Dr. Richard Janikowski, an associate professor in the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice at the University of Memphis.

The department and the university's crime analysis staffs work together to identify problem areas. Traditionally, officers only were able to look at crime statistics in each precinct or in patrol areas or wards. C.R.U.S.H. involves using technology to narrow crime areas down in a process called "hotspotting." Officers also can find out what times crimes are most likely to occur.

"By looking at a ward, you may think the whole ward is hot, but then when you really zero in, you find it's a corner of the ward," Janikowski said.

And we wonder why this city is close to reaching the it's record for homicides in a given year.

Does it work? Methinks not.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

Yes, I am also confused.

Yes, I am also confused.[/quote

From what I read. They are taking away a dept that was strickly for dealing with drunk drivers. So there will be less cops on the road to regulate drunk driving which will result in less convictions giving drunk drivers the uperhand. Thats what I took from the story.

I thought this post was going to be about this:

Judge says strip clubs will remain closed

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_5216201,00.html

Two topless nightclubs raided and padlocked last week in a major drug-trafficking and prostitution investigation will remain closed at least until January.

State prosecutors and attorneys for the clubs agreed this morning in court to postpone a hearing until Jan. 11 before General Sessions Criminal Court Judge Larry Potter.

The Dec. 9 raids involved Platinum Plus at 2514 Mt. Moriah and Tunica Cabaret & Resort at 5599 Highway 61 S., where 75 employees were indicted on state or federal charges involving illegal drug sales, prostitution and gun offenses.

The hearing next month will determine whether there is sufficient evidence for the judge to issue a temporary restraining order to keep the clubs closed until a full trial can be held.

The state is seeking to have the clubs closed permanently as public nuisances and to seize their assets such as furniture and fixtures. Federal forefeiture petitions have been filed to seize the buildings and property as tools of a criminal enterprise.

Ralph Lunati, who owns Platinum Plus and is part-owner of the Tunica club, declined comment as he left court. Jason Youngblood, another part-owner of the Tunica club, also declined comment.

Has anyone ever been to Tunica, MS by going through Memphis? South Memphis, where these clubs are located, is the filthiest ghetto I've ever been through. I'm sure prostitution, guns, and drugs are all over these places. I've never had the privledge of stopping in either of them, but I know right where they are. Not a good place to raise a family.

Has anyone ever been to Tunica, MS by going through Memphis? South Memphis, where these clubs are located, is the filthiest ghetto I've ever been through. I'm sure prostitution, guns, and drugs are all over these places. I've never had the privledge of stopping in either of them, but I know right where they are. Not a good place to raise a family.

First of all, Platinum Plus is not in South Memphis. It is East Memphis. And the Tunica Cabaret is right at the TN / MS state line.

This was not a thread started for you to bash my city. It was to get opinions on what outsiders though of the story posted on DUI.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

Not trying to bash Memphis, I live in Nashville, I've got friends in Memphis. I must have my strip clubs confused. I know the Cabarat is right on the state line, that's the one my friends and I always say we're going to stop by on our way back, when we've struck it rich. Still hasn't happened yet. I do know for a fact that there is a lot of prostitution going in between Tunica and Memphis because I've seen several hookers walking the lobby of the GoldStrike. But you've gotta admit, the area between Memphis and Tunica isn't a good place to raise a family.

First of all, Platinum Plus is not in South Memphis. It is East Memphis. And the Tunica Cabaret is right at the TN / MS state line.

This was not a thread started for you to bash my city. It was to get opinions on what outsiders though of the story posted on DUI.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but the Platinum Plus story has just been dominating the news lately...

As far as DUI goes, I think it's hard to tell whether this will have a dramatic effect like the MADD person says, but it's not like there aren't other crimes that the police should be worrying about.

They also recently implemented the new tougher DUI laws where everyone with a DUI has to pick up trash on the highways and multiple offenders can get a year in jail. I wouldn't say that Memphis is being soft on DUI, but just that there are a lot of other things to deal with right now.

Archived