Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To all those calling to trade Clinton Portis...

dg28daman

Those who want to trade Portis should not be dignified with a thread such as this.

Jansen is useless. If we don't replace him in the offseason then we are conceding defeat. No wonder people approached him about HGH, they saw a guy who obviously lost it and the only way to get it back was by ill means. Well, Jansen, we appreciate the morality - now please get out of Redskins park or get better.

NOW THIS DUDE MAKES SENSE...............:notworthy

Portis is a good blocking RB.

The people who are OK with a trade of Portis (not calling for it, just open to it) don't think that Betts or Duckett is better than CP, they simply believe that you can upgrade at more places and not downgrade at RB all that much.

Today was a perfect example. Ladell Betts shredded the Falcons' D on the ground. Now, what if the D or the OL was supplemented with picks we got for Portis and we were stronger in more areas?

Again, I'm not calling for it...the idea just intrigues me since this make-up of a team is obviously not working and you don't recoup draft picks for nothing. Our OL is going to get old in a hurry. Wouldn't it be nice to know we had some talented young players ready to slide in for Jansen, Thomas, and Samuels once they hit the wrong side of 30?

I totally agree... I like Portis but we can not keep what we have and Portis has the most trade value of any player on the team and he does not run in our sytem well...YES...he IS a 1500 yard back with the Denver Broncos but he has not proven to be that with the 'skins and for a featured back he does not score many touchdowns...Bettes may or may not be the answer but we do need to shake things up next year

Umm...he had 7 TDs in like half a season. I think that's scoring pretty well.

And he ran for 1500 last year, and 1300 the year before where we had no passing game, at all.

He's an amazing back...

AND WE DO NOT NEED TO SHAKE THINGS UP NEXT YEAR!

That happened this year and look what happened.

Umm...he had 7 TDs in like half a season. I think that's scoring pretty well.

And he ran for 1500 last year, and 1300 the year before where we had no passing game, at all.

He's an amazing back...

AND WE DO NOT NEED TO SHAKE THINGS UP NEXT YEAR!

That happened this year and look what happened.

If we do not shake things up we are going to be talking 2008 by this time next season ...7 TD's in a half a season is nothing...I can run for over 1000 yard in 16 games it is about getting it in the end zone

Portis is a good blocking RB.

The people who are OK with a trade of Portis (not calling for it, just open to it) don't think that Betts or Duckett is better than CP, they simply believe that you can upgrade at more places and not downgrade at RB all that much.

Today was a perfect example. Ladell Betts shredded the Falcons' D on the ground. Now, what if the D or the OL was supplemented with picks we got for Portis and we were stronger in more areas?

Again, I'm not calling for it...the idea just intrigues me since this make-up of a team is obviously not working and you don't recoup draft picks for nothing. Our OL is going to get old in a hurry. Wouldn't it be nice to know we had some talented young players ready to slide in for Jansen, Thomas, and Samuels once they hit the wrong side of 30?

Exactly. Bottom line is, this team needs looked at soup to nuts. Players and coaches and management. Lets hope we set a blue print that is more traditional. We need a GM first and foremost. We need the right coaches in place, then the right players and salaries will follow. We arent a player or 2 away, we have to many structural problems. Time to rebuild for the long run.

We need to start to build toward a team that is in balance with vets leaders who are getting paid and younger players on the rise for cheap. The goal should be to own players straight up without gimmicks.

We need to get our draft picks back in order and clean out some big salaries so we are in place to grow this team from within and keep our players that rise to the top. We have the leaders/players to keep and build around. We need to keep our value players and weed out the mess. Here is a short list of who to keep.

Moss, Coley, Campbell, Sellers, Rock, Randle El, most the line but we need to add youth there.

Marcus, Taylor, Griff, Phillip D, Golsten, Evans, Rogers

Money that could be cleared.

Brunell 6.6M

Patten 3M

Samuel 8.6M, thats a little to much for him

Wynn. 4M If your not going to play him 4M is to much

Portis 7M is to much if we have other backs that can get what we need done.

That 30M on 5 players and 3 dont even play. Thats almost 30% of the total cap.

Check your stats bud...Portis is no where near a "TD machine"

Not to pick on just you because Im sure there are equally negative, pessimistic posts in this thread...but Portis in his 5 year career has 52 touchdowns. FIFTY TWO. For comparisons sake, Jerome Bettis, who has been the quintessential goal line TD back the past 5 years, has 42. The guy finds the end zone, PERIOD.

And who are these idiots talking about trading Portis? The value wed get for him is nowhere NEAR what hes worth. Just because you see #46 racking up yards doesnt mean hes a replacement for Portis. You guys just dont get it. His presence on the field ALONE does more than every one of those yards Betts ran for today. He draws attention whereever he is on the field, he blocks, he runs, he catches...when hes on the field he IS the offense.

Coming here is SO depressing after a loss.

Not to pick on just you because Im sure there are equally negative, pessimistic posts in this thread...but Portis in his 5 year career has 52 touchdowns. FIFTY TWO. For comparisons sake, Jerome Bettis, who has been the quintessential goal line TD back the past 5 years, has 42. The guy finds the end zone, PERIOD.

And who are these idiots talking about trading Portis? The value wed get for him is nowhere NEAR what hes worth. Just because you see #46 racking up yards doesnt mean hes a replacement for Portis. You guys just dont get it. His presence on the field ALONE does more than every one of those yards Betts ran for today. He draws attention whereever he is on the field, he blocks, he runs, he catches...when hes on the field he IS the offense.

Coming here is SO depressing after a loss.

come wit' it homie if you call that "picking"...52 touchdowns in 5 years is like 10.1 a season Tomlinson had 10 in 2 games the record is like 28 for one season so what you are talking is nothing...I like Portis...he is a above average back but with the money he is making he should be in the pro bowl every year...I am not saying Bettes is the answer but if we are going to continue with this system we are going to have to have a back that can run between the tackles ala Larry Johnson...get back wit' me

Ummm......youre comparing Portis to one of the BEST backs in NFL history. A guy who is going to likely break the ALL TIME RECORD for touchdowns. Not really a fair comparison.

You act like 10 touchdowns a season is a joke? Thats only on pace to be ABOVE Marcus Allen, Walter Payton, Jim Brown...right behind Emmitt as #2 ALL TIME.

Right, but hes no touchdown machine.

Ummm......youre comparing Portis to one of the BEST backs in NFL history. A guy who is going to likely break the ALL TIME RECORD for touchdowns. Not really a fair comparison.

You act like 10 touchdowns a season is a joke? Thats only on pace to be ABOVE Marcus Allen, Walter Payton, Jim Brown...right behind Emmitt as #2 ALL TIME.

Right, but hes no touchdown machine.

yes I AM comparing him to one of the best backs in NFL history because he is getting paid like one of the best backs in NFL history..."ON PACE?!!!" most of those touchdowns came in Denver...Jim Brown did not even play 10 seasons and he was only playing 10 games a season and Portis should not even be metioned in the same breath as the other three you just mentioned...have you just became a Redskins fan or do you remember last year when they were taking Portis out of the game in the red zone because he was not getting the ball in the end zone...THAT is why they drafted Nehamiah Broughton

ohhh godddddddddddddd

OK man. 10 TDs a year is nothing. Youre right, we should trade him. We drafted NEMO f'n BROUGHTON to make up for Clinton Portis' "inadequacies" at the goal line. Youre right.

I bet NO ONE thinks less of Portis than the idiots in his own fan base. For his sake, I hope we do trade him.

<----getting real tired of the "fans" here

dear god trade portis!?!???! is that what some of you have come to?? man this town turns on people fast

They sure do. Even though we'd probably get a 2nd rounder fo rhim...maybe.

They are just clueless man. I dont know what to tell you. One week Novaks a hero, the next we're idiots for not signing Gramatica. One week Portis is the franchise, he gets hurt and now 10 tds a year is a joke. One week Sean Taylor is a hero, the next he misses an assignment and hes overrated.

Damned if you do damned if you dont. Im convinced this fanbase just likes to complain, nobody REALLY wants the team to win because then theyd have nothing to complain about!

They sure do. Even though we'd probably get a 2nd rounder fo rhim...maybe.

They are just clueless man. I dont know what to tell you. One week Novaks a hero, the next we're idiots for not signing Gramatica. One week Portis is the franchise, he gets hurt and now 10 tds a year is a joke. One week Sean Taylor is a hero, the next he misses an assignment and hes overrated.

Damned if you do damned if you dont. Im convinced this fanbase just likes to complain, nobody REALLY wants the team to win because then theyd have nothing to complain about!

i know what you mean, and sometimes I think about if the players feel this way too. That we are quick to judge just as quick as we are to praise, and that the fans will turn on you in a second over a couple bad games. We get new people and new coaches all the time, I wonder if players this year feel like why should I play hard for this team that could hate me or want to trade me in the offseason, because of a couple bad games. Why do I want to play hard for a team thats fans wont stick with me, and want to judge me so harshly and say they want me out of here?

portis of all people? this is a sad reputation for our area to have.

Good point, but how long can his glass shoulders hold up blocking linebackers and d-linemen?

Im not all about trading Portis BUT I dont think he's going to have too many 16 game seasons in his future. And we could obviously get a couple solid guys in other areas for him if indeed we did trade him. And its evident from today, although Ive been saying it all season that Betts is capable being a starter.

Like I said, Im not screaming to trade Portis but Id be willing to see what we could get for him.

We get new people and new coaches all the time, I wonder if players this year feel like why should I play hard for this team that could hate me or want to trade me in the offseason, because of a couple bad games. Why do I want to play hard for a team thats fans wont stick with me, and want to judge me so harshly and say they want me out of here?

portis of all people? this is a sad reputation for our area to have.

Why? Why should they play hard? Are you effing kidding me? I can think of million of reasons WHY they should play hard... thats a SOFT attitude.

Good point, but how long can his glass shoulders hold up blocking linebackers and d-linemen?

Im not all about trading Portis BUT I dont think he's going to have too many 16 game seasons in his future. And we could obviously get a couple solid guys in other areas for him if indeed we did trade him. And its evident from today, although Ive been saying it all season that Betts is capable being a starter.

Like I said, Im not screaming to trade Portis but Id be willing to see what we could get for him.

his glass shoulders......... do you see how the man blocks? would you rather he be betts and have the qb get sacked? If the o line did there damn job he wouldnt have to use his "glass shoulders" so much.

Archived