Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It is Eerily Similar....

SkinsNoles21

Ok ok. So we have less wins, we didnt have a defense playing this bad, the two teams have a lot of different players, and Portis wasnt hurt. Oh yeah, and we didnt bench Mark Brunell in favor of the first round choice Jason Campbell. So maybe this year doesnt mirror last year so much, but all in all...its dangerously close. Heres why:

The fan base is down, even after a Carolina victory, everyone, including even the most optimistic, are doubting our chances to even sniff the playoffs.

Joe Gibbs is the same. We know what to expect from this guy, he speaks of giving everying thing one has, fighting ones guts out, and focusing on one game at a time. One thing that can be said for Joe Gibbs, he leaves you wanting more. But whether winning or losing, thats who he's always been. Behind the scenes is a different story and in December, Joe Gibbs takes over, he has the record to prove it.

Last year at 5-6, we could not afford any more losses. We got in because we won 5 straight and ended with the same six L's. One more and we missed, but we didnt lose won more, we won them. This year, its the same thing. We have seven losses, lose again and we are definitely finished. Regardless of how bad the NFC is, we arent headed to the playoffs at 8-8. Is it a long shot, yup, but that doesnt mean it wont happen. Its going to be tougher thisy ear, we need one more win, and even then we are guarunteed a spot. But, just like last year, its all NFC all the time. If we get back to Redskins football it will be tough, hard-nosed battles, just the way we like it. They sometimes wont be pretty (Carolina) but if we come away with the W, who the hell cares.

Im not declaring its gonna happen, but I am declaring that its not over. Luckily for us, were just fans.

All we have to do is sit back and enjoy.:logo:

No Portis really changes things. With a Portis at 100% and Moss at 100% I think you would see Saunders and Gibbs give Campbell additional opportunities to make plays.

The conservative playcalling is in large part due to the lack of playmaking. Cooley is the only guy you can count on game in and game out to be there for the young qb.

Betts had one good game against Carolina but has to follow it up against Atlanta.

The wide receivers in Moss' absence have been an embarrassment.

Lloyd has fewer catches in 11 games than Marvin Harrison seems to get in ONE game.

Randle El makes plays but for the money, not enough of them.

Patten is just like John Hall, old and battered. You won't see him on the field again IMO.

At this point the club should promote Espy and give him a shot down the stretch under game conditions to show what he can do.

No Portis really changes things. With a Portis at 100% and Moss at 100% I think you would see Saunders and Gibbs give Campbell additional opportunities to make plays.

The conservative playcalling is in large part due to the lack of playmaking. Cooley is the only guy you can count on game in and game out to be there for the young qb.

Betts had one good game against Carolina but has to follow it up against Atlanta.

The wide receivers in Moss' absence have been an embarrassment.

Lloyd has fewer catches in 11 games than Marvin Harrison seems to get in ONE game.

Randle El makes plays but for the money, not enough of them.

Patten is just like John Hall, old and battered. You won't see him on the field again IMO.

At this point the club should promote Espy and give him a shot down the stretch under game conditions to show what he can do.

Good points....but lets see....

Who did we have at receiver last year...oh yeah...no one. Moss will be back to full strength soon, and Ill take Brandon Lloyd and Randle El over what we had last year. Give them time to gel with Campbell, this corp could be something special. If your biggest concern is our wr corp, the we are headed to the Super Bowl.

I feel like its all up to the return of the Redskins D of the past two years.

I will become a true believer when I see Brandon Lloyd dominate a matchup and have a breakout game where he is the MVP in a Redskins victory. For the money and the promise of his ypc and tds in SF in 2005 we should have seen such a performance already IMO.

I will become a true believer when I see Brandon Lloyd dominate a matchup and have a breakout game where he is the MVP in a Redskins victory. For the money and the promise of his ypc and tds in SF in 2005 we should have seen such a performance already IMO.

True, I would like to see him break out too. That would mean the breakout of Campbell as well.

Maybe with a healthy Moss, and a quarterback who throws it down the field more often, we will put something together.

Who did we have at receiver last year...oh yeah...no one. Moss will be back to full strength soon, and Ill take Brandon Lloyd and Randle El over what we had last year. Give them time to gel with Campbell, this corp could be something special. If your biggest concern is our wr corp, the we are headed to the Super Bowl.

Yeah but...

His questions about the recieving corps weren't his biggest concerns, he lead with the biggest obstacle for this team making a run.

Last year we had a top5 back PICK UP THE TEAM AND CARRY THEM ON HIS BACK, as well as a defense that could still dominate people. Look at the Philly game last year...

No Portis

No D

No Win

No playoffs

If we get in a tought spot this year, we can't expect a couple of turnovers from the D and 100yards from our runningback, although both ingrediants were presant last Sunday.

Look, I've tried to make the comparisons to last year too, and I'm not saying we can't make a run, but this team IS NOT THE SAME as last years. The losses that took us to 5-6 were hard fought physical football games.

Can you see this team losing by a two point conversion IN DENVER?

Hanging 35 on LAST YEARS Bucs D?

Taking the Chargers to OT?

Last year we were hitting people in the mouth all season, and losing close games. We lost three games by three points or less and if you scracth the 1st Giants game(tip of the hat to the Duke), we never lost by more than a touchdown.

Without the first Giant game, we lost by an average margin of 3.8 points. last year. This year we have lost by an average margin of 11.3 points.

This year the offense has managed a total of 9 points in thee division road games. All three road games we got our tail whipped. Last year, 5-1(with one anomoly) in the East.

Here are some stats

Last year, first downs

Us-301

Opponents-258

This year

Us-188

Opponents-208

3rd down conversions

last year-42%

this year-35%

Last year, even in losses, we were still productive and physical. This year we are just not the same.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we CAN'T do it, I'm just saying that this team does not have the same CHARACTER as last years team did. I will be watching every Sunday, begging, hoping, praying that we can pull it out and make a run. I will not however say this is last years team.

Well, no matter what, we'll have to beat Atlanta first. And they have this guys you might have heard of playing quarterback: Michael Vick. I heard he had almost 200 rushing yards last week. If we shut down Michael Vick and the Falcons, then I'll be sufficiently impressed (maybe) to talk about this year being eerily similiar to last year.

Right now, we just don't have enough momentum to start making the comparisons.

Last year toward the end of the season we had possibly one of the best 2-3 defenses in the league. Sure they were 9th or whatever over the course of the season since they were pretty bad early on but they won those last few games and they held Dallas to 0 points until after we had 35 on them. I don't see this defense stepping up that much.

And Lloyd is just a flop. WTF? I may have been down on signing Archuleta and Carter but Lloyd or Randel Should be doing something every game and Lloyd hasn't yet in any game. The people saying he was the new Gardner seem to be right but he's even worse than that so far. I think a lot of it is this offense overall. We haven't had a 2nd receiver do much of anything since Gibbs got back. Something isn't right.

ok ok ok....

Sometimes i get frustrated on this board.

You guys are talking about stuff that I already know.

At one point did I say this season is going perfect and everyone is unreal and we are headed to the Super Bowl.

All I was trying to say is....dont count Joe Gibbs out

ESPECIALLY NOT IN DECEMBER.

I'll believe when I see this team start the 07 season 6-0 with dominant wins over teams they should beat. Not three point losses at home to the scurge of the league. This team doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs.

yea but last year after taking three straight L's in a row, including a loss to the Raiders.

We were sooooo poised and ready to go to the playoffs.

No one is sayin we dont have problems...but we do have Joe Gibbs, and sleeping on Joe isnt wise.

Apparently, 'My Brosky', You & I are 'joined at the cerebrum'' (i.e.: I couldn't AGREE with You more)! :applause:

I want to add one more thing.

I think that IF we make the playoffs (and that is a BIG IF) We stand just as good of a chance to make the superbowl as anyone else.

Your right, thats why it sucks so bad. The NFC is terrible. Every team is just mediocre. The Bears seem to be falling apart. I'm really, really worried about the Cowboys. They will lose first round? Right guys? Right?? Seeing them in the Superbowl would make this the worst year in history.

Archived