Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does Rogers ALWAYS cover the number 1 receiver?

IChiefLikeCP26

I have noticed in the past two weeks Rogers is always covering the best receiver. He was on Stallworth when we played the Eagles, and then on Galloway when we played the Bucs.

I know Springs was out and so Rogers stepped up, but now that Springs is back what is the deal?

I see them playing left and right I guess, but if you were Gregg Williams wouldn't you want your best corner closest to their best receiver?

This seems like another bad coaching move by GW. Any opinions?

I keep wondering the same thing myself. And not only that but why is Rogers continually giving 10 yard cushions to the WR's! I mean don't the coaches go up to him after a play and tell him to close that gap, what's the deal? And if they are telling him to close the gap and he isn't, then why is he still on the field? Frankly, at this point I think there are a lot more questions surrounding our D than there are answers.

i didnt think this post would get a lot of responses. In short the real trouble isn't Rogers. As a matter of fact I commend the fact that he's matured at the pace that he can cover the #1 reciever. That bodes well for us in the future. The real problem is why is our defense giving up 100 yard games to the most mediocre running backs. It's the very thing that causes our team to loose.

Every team in the NFL keeps their CB's in the same spot throughout the game with a few exceptions. For example, Rogers usually plays the Left CB spot, Springs usually plays the Right CB spot most of the time.

In Dallas, Newman plays LCB, Henry plays RCB and then when they go to the nickel Newman plays the slot CB and Aaron Glenn takes his LCB spot. The same could be said for Tampa with Rhonde Barber playing similar positions as to what Newman does.

Anyway, most of the time defenses just keep their CB's at one spot and whatever WR is lined up across from them is who they get to face. From there, the defense tries to recognize what the offense is trying to do according to their formation, personnel, down and distance, etc.

Rogers is probably on the #1 WR a lot because:

1. Teams can pick on him, so they keep putting their best WR over that way.

2. He plays the Left CB spot. Usually that's where #1 WR's line up the majority of the time. Reason? Because most QB's are right handed and are much more accurate throwing to the right side of the field than throwing to the left side of the field.

The Left CB spot and Right CB spot is pretty much comparable to a Left Tackle vs. a Right offensive tackle in many ways.

YAKUZA

I don't know whats up with our coaches but here is the deal. Carlos Rogers=the worst starting corner in the NFL and quite possibly the worst corner I have ever seen. I watch the highlights and to no suprise it's Rogers, getting burned down the field. Never in front of a receiver, always behind chasing and never touching the receiver till they cross the goalline. Wow, coach do you watch film at all? Maybe think about putting Troy Vincent across from Springs, leave Wright as the 3rd corner and put AA back at safety or maybe move Rogers to safety. Or damn even Rogers backup couldn't do any worse. This kid is a bust, bigtime.

The reason Rogers ALWAYS covers the opposing teams number #1 receiver is because he is one of the few corners in the league that can turn ANYONE he lines up against into a #1 receiver. It is a damn good thing we don't play the 49ers this year, because I can guarantee you that Taylor Jacobs would drop 200 and a pair of TDs on Rogers.

You have to love how Carlos consistantly gives receivers a 15 yard cushion on 3 and 1. It is his patented move.

CARLOS ROGERS IS F'ING HORRIBLE!!!

:doh: CARLOS ROGERS = TOM CARTER :doh:

I keep wondering the same thing myself. And not only that but why is Rogers continually giving 10 yard cushions to the WR's! I mean don't the coaches go up to him after a play and tell him to close that gap, what's the deal? And if they are telling him to close the gap and he isn't, then why is he still on the field? Frankly, at this point I think there are a lot more questions surrounding our D than there are answers.

The 10 yard cushion obviousely doesnt help he's still getting burnt by Galloway :doh: .

You have to love how Carlos consistantly gives receivers a 15 yard cushion on 3 and 1. It is his patented move.

CARLOS ROGERS IS F'ING HORRIBLE!!!

:doh: CARLOS ROGERS = TOM CARTER :doh:

When will everyone look at the other side of the ball and see Springs is giving the same cushion. Coincidence...NO. There's no way he wants to do that, it's the COACHES call!!!!

:doh: man i swear everyone always complains about rogers, but maybe if we could get some pressure on the qb he would be ok. when the qb has all day to throw the ball, its only a matter of time before the wr is going to get open. nobody notices this problem on springs side of the ball because springs normally plays zone so when they pick on his side of the field the safety is always to blame. how often do you see springs running down the field with a wr? and again everyone complains about the cushion, but springs gives the same cushion. the coaches are the ones who continue to allow them to give this 10 yard cushion even though the opposing teams continue to exploit it week after week. :doh:

Archived