Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Calls Out defense

topdog

That is the 1st time JG has directly implied the defense for a loss in his press conference.I beleive now that JG has made the QB change he is going to make a number of changes to this team.Just look at the IR list growing all the time with some questionable talent besides CP.Maybe now JG can be the coach we all know him to be capable of after making the call to bench his pet QB.Things are looking up everyone is going to have to be accountable for there performance.

I don't remember him calling out the defense. He did the usual thing by working around the problem and saying that there are many things we all need to work on and one of the most important things are principles. He might have implied that our defense did poorly but he definitely didn't call out anything or anyone out....that just wouldn't be Joe Gibbs thing to do~

Somebody has to take the fall for the personnel moves on the defensive side of the ball. We did the following in the offseason:

1. Moved up, trading additional picks, to take Rocky McIntosh obviously targeting a poor year from Warrick Holdman and LaVar Arrington at weakside linebacker. Here we are in Week 10 and McIntosh hasn't started a single game nor has he worked his way into a rotation.

2. Andre Carter. The guy has 2 sacks in 9 games. This is the kind of edge pressure we were looking for in a guy we signed so early in free agency, before looking at anyone else? :)

3. Adam Archuleta. We paid $10 million for what is essentially a 208 pound linebacker. The problem? This is 2006 and 208 pound linebackers roamed the NFL in the 1960's.

4. Kenny Wright. Walt Harris was injured in 2005 and got beaten deep when Springs missed time. He had played well for us in 2004 as the third corner. We let Harris, 31, go in free agency but then went out and acquired a player whose previous club didn't want to have any part of him for 2006. This was after he had STARTED 16 games in 2005. How many teams jettison a starter from a playoff squad who is 29 years old? One where the head coach, a defensive coach, knows he has a player that the team won in spite of rather than because of.

5. Warrick Holdman. Holdman was done in 2004. He showed in Cleveland that he was not the same player after major knee surgery. When Romeo Crennel came to Cleveland he made no effort to resign Holdman. The Redskins signed him as a stop-gaper in 2005 when Arrington got hurt. Decent move considering the timing. But resigning Holdman for 2006 merely compounded the problem of not having enough playmakers on the field. Everyone anticipated that Holdman was being brought back to start a few games and then give way to McIntosh. But a 16 game starter? I don't think any other team in the NFL would be starting Holdman right now.

I remarked to my brother during the press conference that the Joe Gibbs of today's presser was different from the one we've been seeing the last couple of years. He reminded me a lot of Gibbs I and I liked it. He basically said that we got push around on defense and also said we didn't run the ball enough or effectively.

I don't know where the other Joe Gibbs is or what they did with him and I don't care I just want this one to stay around.

I remarked to my brother during the press conference that the Loe Gibbs of today's presser was different from the one we've been seeing the last couple of years. He reminded me a lot of Gibbs I and I liked it. He basically said that we got push around on defense and also said we didn't run the ball enough or effectively.

I don't know where the other Joe Gibbs is or what they did with him and I don't care I just want this one to stay around.

I agree. It was totally different. I think hes fianlly beyond concern and into pissed territory. This team is embarassing and he knows it. You JG doubters watch what happens.

Oh yes, Gibbs did call out both the offense and defense.Gibbs said that we were not going with certain principles and not playing redskin football.The defense was not stopping the run and the offense was not being a run first football team.Who is to blame Saunders and Williams and the players on defense for not making good sound tackles.You could tell in the interview that gibbs was upset.The team needs some changes!!!(first made going to number 17)I think the o-line and d-line and secondary need to be rebuilt this offseason and start giving other guys on the roster a chance to play.

Oh yes, Gibbs did call out both the offense and defense.Gibbs said that we were not going with certain principles and not playing redskin football.The defense was not stopping the run and the offense was not being a run first football team.Who is to blame Saunders and Williams and the players on defense for not making good sound tackles.You could tell in the interview that gibbs was upset.The team needs some changes!!!(first made going to number 17)I think the o-line and d-line and secondary need to be rebuilt this offseason and start giving other guys on the roster a chance to play.

You forgot Linebackers aswell, except Marcus!

well, true old Redskins football, a la Gibbs I, would call for TJ Duckett to be the starting back and to use him to control the clock and set up play action for the strong-armed Campbell.

in order to do that Gibbs is going to have to fire Al Saunders because Saunders is in love with Ladell Betts and is not going to give Duckett the number of carries he needs to get in a rhythm.

Saunders' flipping of the backs, even when Portis was on the field, prevented the team from developing an identity in the run game.

Not really fair of Joe Gibbs considering they ran the ball all of 13 times :rolleyes:

when u average less then 2 yards a carry u cant get first downs if u cant get first downs u dont move the chain if u dont move the chains u cant run the ball get it?

we ran the ball 1st 2 downs first half nothing happened it always ended up 3rd and long

well, true old Redskins football, a la Gibbs I, would call for TJ Duckett to be the starting back and to use him to control the clock and set up play action for the strong-armed Campbell.

in order to do that Gibbs is going to have to fire Al Saunders because Saunders is in love with Ladell Betts and is not going to give Duckett the number of carries he needs to get in a rhythm.

Saunders' flipping of the backs, even when Portis was on the field, prevented the team from developing an identity in the run game.

Can sombody please tell Al that we dont have Holmes and Johnson!

Coach Gibbs is to be blamed for this mess. He is responsible for ensuring we have talent to put on the field.

He in conjuction with the Front Office have done a horrible job!

It just goes to show that we need a real GM. Gibbs doesn't know what he's doing in the team construction dept.

Archived