Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meeting D. Green

Boots

I was lucky enough to get a football card signed by him via mail. And he did send me a letter telling about his charity which i didn't know about at the time , and stated he usually charges money as for the charity. But he signed it anyway and thats like my prized possession.

What you describe is a typical D Green signing.

Darrell Green was a great Redskin, but an absolute jerk of a person to fans. He does these signings, for which he is paid for btw, yet he acts like it is the biggest pain in the rump. He wants to sign everything with "To soandso" so it's less valuable as an autographed item. Listen Darrell your signed mini helmet aint worth that much on EBay. If you don't want to sign autographs, DONT TAKE THE MONEY TO DO IT.

I could tell you story after story. Now I know in some instances he is a nice guy, but don't ask for his autograph. And don't try and talk to him about football. He is one of those people who are wonderful guys, when in front of the camera.

That said, I still love D Green!

I had a really nice experience with Darrell Green when I met him at the DC Auto Show a few years back. He signed a jersey of mine and took time to pose for a picture. But, then again, I was near the front of the line, so that may have made a difference. Sorry your experience wasn't better.

When I was a kid I got a couple things signed by Darrell on several occasions, and he was always really nice. I cna't see him being otherwise.

Art Monk used to visit a gun store in Springfield next to the mixing bowl, there were pictures of him in there. Found that interesting.

Stwasm, is Moss drunk in that picture?

i've heard bad and good stories about him. One Redskins charity event I heard he gave a speech that was very ****y and selfish, and people were annoyed by it. Then I hear nice stories of people meeting him in stores and whatnot. I think it is that alone, he does not like charity events, but he will be personable to random passerbys. It is also a more recent thing (since he retired) that he's like this, as when he was playing, although still loved, I doubt he minded as much.

I personally feel though that charity event or not, a player should enjoy doing these things. If they do not, then don't schedule or agree to do them.

Stwasm, is Moss drunk in that picture?

No, I think he's just sleepy as the pic was taken in the morning! Getting back to Darrell, the one time I met him, the only time he seemed unhappy was when people tried to cut the line right when he appeared. This, after you had some people starting the line in upwards of four-to-five hours before his scheduled appearance. He was cool, after that, but, then again, it was near the time he started. His wife, Jewell, also was really nice. She definitely lived up to her name.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Darrell on two occasions, both private Redskins events. I was lucky enough to have a family member who worked for the skins in the late 90's, and he had a very good rapport with Darrell. So much so that some players were shocked when my family member was able to get Darrell to sign stuff for him. Darrell was as nice as could be to me on both occasions, maybe because of who I was with. And maybe because I wasn't shoving helmets in his face for him to sign.

What I've noticed is this: No one calls Paul Newman a jerk because he doesn't sign autographs. He won't sign unless it's going to charity, and I think Darrell's trying to be the same way.

As far as him not signing personal items, there's a good reason for that. I've been at the team hotel when you've got the 45 year old, fat, ebay salesmen standing there with a duffle bag full of mini helmets. That's just really annoying. It seems to me that Darrell wants the value of his autograph to primarily benefit charities and not someone's ebay rating or bank account. I also think that people should not view his unwillingness to "chat it up" with fans as him being rude, but as him being busy. The guy is REALLY into HIS charities. To say that he's a jerk is kind of difficult, considering what he gave the fans, organization, and continues to give to the community. Does anyone out there really think that he needs to do all of this for the money?

If there were guidelines to the signing, and he followed them, how can you fault him?

What I've noticed is this: No one calls Paul Newman a jerk because he doesn't sign autographs. He won't sign unless it's going to charity, and I think Darrell's trying to be the same way.

Darrell was working an event where HE WAS GETTING PAID TO SIGN AUTOGRAPHS!!!!

As far as him not signing personal items, there's a good reason for that. I've been at the team hotel when you've got the 45 year old, fat, ebay salesmen standing there with a duffle bag full of mini helmets. That's just really annoying.

Look you can't make a career selling autographs without certificate of authenticy. So what you are saying is untrue. Look up a signed mini helmet on EBay that is hard to tell if it is authentic. They sometimes barely exceed the price of a mini helmet.

It seems to me that Darrell wants the value of his autograph to primarily benefit charities and not someone's ebay rating or bank account. I also think that people should not view his unwillingness to "chat it up" with fans as him being rude, but as him being busy.

HE WAS AT AN AUTOGRAPH EVENT :doh:

Does anyone out there really think that he needs to do all of this for the money?

Well he was there? Maybe he is donating his signing fees to charity???

If there were guidelines to the signing, and he followed them, how can you fault him?

There were no guidelines. He is like this at all his signing events. Rude, usually late, finicky about what he signs, etc. If he wants to be like this HE SHOULDN"T TAKE PAID AUTOGRAPH EVENTS :D

Chipwich,

The original thread starter said that they were told that he would not sign any personal items. That is a guideline!

Payment: I know he was getting paid for the event....do you think he's using the $$ to pay his mortgage, or perhaps to go to his charity?

Ebay: I used this as an example, but there are MANY other places to sell, like local sports cards stores etc.

Certificate of Authenticity: Do you realize how EASY it is to get a COA? Basically, any idiot can write one up.

If you read the original thread, you'll notice that they guys said that he signed what they said he would sign. So where's the problem there? I am simply stating, to those who see him in a mall and get snubbed for an auto, that they should expect that, because that signing will not generate anything for his charity. As far as being finicky about what he signs, again, back to the charity. If you look on his website, there are prices for personal items, which of course benefit his charity. Of course he's not going to sign those things at a staged Autograph session, and he's not the only one who works this way. If he was short with people at the signings, maybe it's so that he can take care of everyone that was there. If I were in the back of the line and you were up front trying to have a meal with him, I'd be really mad if I never got my autograph.

Call him a jerk if you want, but I think it's pretty clear how he manages his autograph sessions in relation to his charities.

Chipwich,

The original thread starter said that they were told that he would not sign any personal items. That is a guideline!

I go to these events all the time. Darrell Green makes the rules. He is the most finicky signer I have ever gotten....if what he signs, how he signs, etc.

Payment: I know he was getting paid for the event....do you think he's using the $$ to pay his mortgage, or perhaps to go to his charity?

I don't know and neither do you.

Ebay: I used this as an example, but there are MANY other places to sell, like local sports cards stores etc.

Certificate of Authenticity: Do you realize how EASY it is to get a COA? Basically, any idiot can write one up.

Collectors do not accept an idiot COA. They only accept reputable COAs and they know who offers them.

There is very little value in a darrell green signed item. I am sorry. His auto doesn't command $$$ like so desired athletes. Go look on EBay.

If you read the original thread, you'll notice that they guys said that he signed what they said he would sign. So where's the problem there? I am simply stating, to those who see him in a mall and get snubbed for an auto, that they should expect that, because that signing will not generate anything for his charity. As far as being finicky about what he signs, again, back to the charity. If you look on his website, there are prices for personal items, which of course benefit his charity. Of course he's not going to sign those things at a staged Autograph session, and he's not the only one who works this way. If he was short with people at the signings, maybe it's so that he can take care of everyone that was there. If I were in the back of the line and you were up front trying to have a meal with him, I'd be really mad if I never got my autograph.

Call him a jerk if you want, but I think it's pretty clear how he manages his autograph sessions in relation to his charities.

My point is if your going to do PUBLIC signings and INTERFACE with REDSKINS FANS expect them to want pictures, shake hands, tell you how great you are. If you don't want this.....DONT SIGN. He is getting paid because stores expect to make money because fans are coming to the store to see them. DON'T BE A JERK if you sign up to work the event! How difficult is that?

I have been to a ton of these events and only encountered 2 rude signers.

Ray Lewis, Darrell Green...go figure.

But I still love Darrell!

Yeah, pretty much every time I've been in the "wait in line and get something signed" game, the athlete acted like an ass. I guess they just don't like doing it. My question is, why do it? In my former career as a musician I never got sick of signing autographs and meeting fans, but then again I didn't do it for as long as Green.

This just screams "you can please some of the people some of the time...."

All of us have done something that made people go :finger:

I wouldn't take a random book signing as canon towards D. Green's personality.

(Although I remember the first time I saw Champ Bailey up close and personal after a game, he walked off and didn't sign anything. There were so many kids screaming his name and I was in the front of the line. Kids were asking me to please get his autograph and he just walked off angrily. I admit, I kind of still to this day remember that episode and hold it against Champ because I grew up with the likes of my man Gary Clark who would sit for hours and sign autographs for all who were there.)

I can also understand catching someone on a bad day, but it just sticks with you more if the first and only impression you get from a celeb is an awkward or bad one.

GC

I go to these events all the time. Darrell Green makes the rules. He is the most finicky signer I have ever gotten....if what he signs, how he signs, etc.

Collectors do not accept an idiot COA. They only accept reputable COAs and they know who offers them.

There is very little value in a darrell green signed item. I am sorry. His auto doesn't command $$$ like so desired athletes. Go look on EBay.

My point is if your going to do PUBLIC signings and INTERFACE with REDSKINS FANS expect them to want pictures, shake hands, tell you how great you are. If you don't want this.....DONT SIGN. He is getting paid because stores expect to make money because fans are coming to the store to see them. DON'T BE A JERK if you sign up to work the event! How difficult is that?

I have been to a ton of these events and only encountered 2 rude signers.

Ray Lewis, Darrell Green...go figure.

But I still love Darrell!

No offense, but it's beginning to sound like you're the guy with the duffle bag and 45 mini helmets that I described above. If I went to a staged signing, I'd expect to be hearded like cattle and not chat it up and take pictures. And quite frankly, thats why I don't go to them. I'd much rather have a story behind the signature.

No offense, but it's beginning to sound like you're the guy with the duffle bag and 45 mini helmets that I described above. If I went to a staged signing, I'd expect to be hearded like cattle and not chat it up and take pictures. And quite frankly, thats why I don't go to them. I'd much rather have a story behind the signature.

Nope, just a guy who rather than buying something phony on EBay would rather get something I already owned personalized.

I don't care about the story, rather the framed signed jerseys in my home, and other memorabilia.

You might expect to be hearded like cattle, but being I have been to probably 30 events like this the only time I felt used and ashamed ;) was with D Green and Ray Ray Lewis.

I don't sell my stuff on EBay.

These events happen all the time. Every year at the DC Auto Show, Baltimore Auto Show, Car Dealers, Circuit City.

I've heard (and I don't know if it's true or not) that Green, being very religious just doesn't like all of the attention. He wants to be seen as a regular guy and not someone to be put on a pedestal. You know... Thou shalt have no other gods before me.....Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image... 1st and 2nd commandments.. that kind of thing.

Again, I don't know for sure if that's what's behind these stories, but it would make sense. :2cents:

I worked the Ken Harvey classic at Ben Lomond Park a few years ago. Pat Fischer, Moseley, Mann, Art Monk. All those guys and more were there. When Darrell Green took the stage, he said his words then ended with "If you havent gotten an autograph yet you're probably not going to get one."

I then proceeded to get his autograph since I worked the event.

I tried on Charles Mann's Super Bowl ring, it was pretty cool.

This was back in 2003. Ricky Ervins was there, and when I asked who the best back was in the NFL, he felt it was Marshall Faulk. He was a real nice guy.

However, by far, the kindest guys were Ken Harvey and Pat Fischer. Pat Fischer was a real trip, while Ken was a very out going, nice gentleman.

Archived