Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There isn't a salary cap on scouts and talent evaluators either...

The Full Monty

Much has been made of our coaches and how we pay top dollar for top-level coaching ability. Nobody questions the offensive or defensive acumen of a Gregg Williams or an Al Saunders or a Greg Blache or a Joe Bugel.

But as for our much-maligned inability to find quality players in the middle/late rounds of the draft, would you all agree to an effort to revamp our scouting department with some hotshots from other teams, the Phil Savage/Ozzie Newsome/Scott Pioli/Tim Ruskell-types of the scouting world - people who can go out and find a Marques Colston in the 7th round or a Trent Cole in the 5th round or a Jared Allen in the 4th round...

There's no cap on how much we pay college scouts and talent evaluators. In fact paying these guys well may very well save us from paying players who do count against the cap.

Where does that leave Cerrato? I don't know. I think that my position helps both the Cerrato backers and detractors.

If we think Cerrato does his job, then let's get him some top-quality help from the bottom up.

If we think Cerrato is ineffective, well, let's turn it around from the bottom up.

Either way, it all comes down to my belief that we need to expand and enhance our scouting and talent evaluating department to include some rising stars from the heralded front offices out there, and maybe, just maybe, we'll have ourselves some all-important Day 2 Draft success.

Hear hear!!!

I recall reading somewhere that we have the smallest scouting dept. in the league.

We definitely need help with the lower rounds. True, we're doing much better with the higher picks than we ever used to, but the lack of any competent mid rounders is killing our depth.

My crazy dream/prediction - don't be surprised if the Dan gets out his checkbook and hires Ron Wolf out of retirement for a year or two as a draft consultant and lets Ron handpick our future scouting dept. Wolf's last few drafts were the best of anybody in the league, and if you count his brief consultancy with the Browns, he hasn't been out of football that long. Hopefully he's not still bitter over giving us Lachey for Schroeder. :D

Archived