Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skin's Have a Big Willie: Lineup?

kaffeen

I think Jackson will start to work his way into the lineup as a third down receiver and then Spurrier will see how far he progresses and where the younger players are at before giving him a starting job.

Like Tre, I think the idea is to get an immediate contribution, but make it bit by bit over each week rather than all at once.

If Jackson can start off by helping the team convert a crucial third down or two and in the red zone I think Spurrier will be happy.

Now all we need is a real QB. Put Ramsey back in. If SOS thinks that we would beat GB or NO with Shame at the helm he's wrong he probably wouldn't throw 4 INTs but he'd produce an abundance of 3 and outs. If we're gonna run the ball why not just let Ramsey start for the rest of the season? At least he can do something off playaction that 47 yarder to Thompson in GB was poetry in motion he just flicked his wrist and it was right there on the money.

Gardner, Thompson, Jackson, McCants, Doering, Green is the order I imagine you'll see things. However, we probably won't carry all six guys every game so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jackson inactive this week and probably next week, and then we would juggle McCants and Doering as inactives in the weeks to come once Jackson gets his feel back in the offense.

FSF, Matthews gives the team a better chance to win games right now, that I think was evident from the first quarter of the New Orleans and Green Bay games.

Ramsey's mistakes in INTs and fumbles had us effectively out of those contests before we could even get started.

Matthews has 2 of the teams wins this season and probably would have beaten the Titans as well if Spurrier had not had a brain fart and decide to start Danny Wuerffel there instead.

Ramsey got on the field and got a chance to see what NFL game action is all about. It will help him develop.

But it is pure fantasy to think Ramsey is the difference between this team going 8-8 and 12-4.

FSF,

McCants is slower than Gardner so if it's speed you want you will want to inactivate McCants. I have heard Jackson's not a real burner though in terms of being a big deep threat. I don't know his 40 times, but I believe he is slower than anyone we have save Doering.

Glad to see that Darren 'Mark Carrier' Woodson's headhunting gives you a chubby, Q. Enjoy it while you can.

Woodson will either tone down his style of play or he'll be watching the Turkey Day game on his couch at home. Redskin fans can attest that once the league has it in for you, hits that are legal for everyone else will draw that suspension.

Originally posted by kaffeen

OK, it's official, the Skin's have a big Willie.......

What will be the positional lineup for receivers in the weeks to come?

I say....

#1 Thompson

#2 Jackson

#3 Gardner

#4 McCants

#5 Doering

My guess?

#1 Gardner

#2 Thompson

#3 Jackson

#4 McCants

#5 Doering

Death,

I think the position you are on the depth chart determines how much playing time you get. In some offenses, it also predicates the type of receiver you are.

They all will have a chance to contribute, but some more than others based on their position on the depth chart before a game and how they perform in a game.

I will say I don't think anything is set in stone with Spurrier, but I do think he has very specific ideas about how to use each one based on the game planning during the week. Since the depth chart will determine who gets the most reps during practice, it seems logical that they should be the most prepared to execute Spurrier's game plan for that week and will be used more than the other receivers.

Jackson will help, but he's still not a #1 receiver. He's not the type who can get open often against top cornerbacks like Troy Vincent.

What Jackson adds is some veteran savy. Every receiver we have, save Doering, is a better athlete, though. It's a better receiver corps with Jackson, but it still won't instill fear in any secondaries.

I'm for this signing, but I don't expect tremendous results.

FSF,

For one who keeps harping on player's mistakes as justification for their benching or outright release, I'm surprised that you seem to overlook Ramsey's missing two wide open receivers in the endzone.

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. To wonder means to assume you apply logic to your rants.

Fact is, Shane wouldn't have missed those two chances to score touchdowns against Green Bay.

Now I'm not a diehard Matthews fan nor am I a Ramsey detractor. In fact, I hope Ramsey is the answer to our long suffering drought at the QB position.

Ramsey's just not ready yet.

I think by seasons end both McCants and Gardner will be entrenched in the top three. My guess is that Thompson will be the3 guy in the end to get pushed by Jackson and if Jackson outplays him Thompson wil be the one to see his time reduced the most.

Gardner is going to be in the top three. I believe McCants has more upside than Thompson, is under contract for next year, and will continue to elicite praise for his performances. The third guy in the top three will however performs better between Thompson and Willie. My money is on Willie.

So by end of year and the three we bring back... Gardner, McCants, Willie. We have Cliff Russell as well under contract for next year. That gives us a really value priced receiver core that will already be one the upswing and room for one big addition either through draft or free agency.

Originally posted by Fred Smoot Fan

Now all we need is a real QB. Put Ramsey back in. If SOS thinks that we would beat GB or NO with Shame at the helm he's wrong he probably wouldn't throw 4 INTs but he'd produce an abundance of 3 and outs. If we're gonna run the ball why not just let Ramsey start for the rest of the season? At least he can do something off playaction that 47 yarder to Thompson in GB was poetry in motion he just flicked his wrist and it was right there on the money.

3 and outs? Are you serious? Barker has punted 7 times this year. 7!! 3 and outs aren't our problem. And I do think Shane would have given us a better chance to win those games, but only in hindsight. I would never have said that before the games.

Yep. whatever it was last week, with Jackson being phased in, after the next game. He will have to catch up to some key plays and get in the rythm with the other guys, so he'll need a week. Tre Johnson's responsibility isn't the same as Jackson's will be. He will be forced to make plays based off of reads, while engaged, on the move and running after the catch to utilize downfield blockers. He'll also need that edge on blocking as well. That will take no less than a week or even two. Maybe next week, his first Skins game, gets a few on the fairway. OOPs, sorry Ball Coach, I didn't mean to mention those golf swings :laugh:

Archived