Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Real Problem with the Skins

mikalax2

I dont post often, but after reading alot, I feel like I need to give my two cents.

I keep seeing the Brunell bashing posts like he is the reason we are not playing well. Well I think that is wrong. Our problem right now is the horrible play of our defense so far this year. The last two years they have carried the team on there backs and have been wonderfull, and now they cant stop the run or the pass.

I am not a big fan of Brunell, and would LOVE to see JC take over right away, but I also do not think that his play is costing us games like the play of the defense.

I feel like we are giving up non-stop big plays, but then to make it even worse we seem to be allowing long drives with constant 3rd down conversions as well.

I think there is a reason for this and that it can be changed over this break...........We need to BLITZ ALL THE TIME.

The reason the D has been great the last two years is because GW has incredible blitzes that have put constant pressure on the QB. Right now GW is afraid to blitz because he thinks our secondary sucks. Well guess what Gregg, the secondary sucks alot more when the QB has all the time in the world to pass. I honestly think that over the last two years our defense would look just as bad as we do now if we werent blitzing. I know there have been injuries, and I know there are player changes that arent working out, but I still think we would be playing alot better if we blitzed much more often.

I really think that if GW can wake up and start doing what he has been doing his whole career then we can turn this thing around. Brunell is old, and Brunell might not be able to take us where we want, but the best QB of all time could not do it either with this team when the D is playing the way they are right now.

My 2 cents

HTTR!!

It is the Defense, first and foremost, followed by the O-line. Unfortunately, the head-up-their-own-asses-think-I'm-a-coaches on this board just don't get it. It is so easy to just blame Brunell for everything, especially when they are so ignorant about the game of football.

Hey Mikalax,

You hit it right in the button, the problem is the defense.

I think that GW has lost some fire in coaching this year. If he doesnt get pressure to the QB, unless its a rookie, they're going to eat us alive.

Come on Skins, just beat Dallas.

:dallasuck

I agree with the original post and def think the Defense is our biggest problem right now. As far as the QB, i think Campbell should get the starts at the end of this season. He should be our starter next year for sure and needs to get some game experience. Personally, i see him starting at about week 10.

Our secondary is horrendous and the D in general is not on the same page at all. They need more leadership on the field and have to play with more intensity. AA is always coming up to stuff the run and he's often out of place when they throw the ball. That and countless other problems. Williams really needs to start busting balls and stop coddling the damn D.

I agree with the post also but you also got to look at the off. because they are not giving the defense enough rest. Look at this , when the offense has long drives and stays on the field for awhile the defense does better and makes stops. Against Indy in the first half we are up 14-13 because the offense played good. When the offense plays good the defense plays good.

I dont post often, but after reading alot, I feel like I need to give my two cents.

I keep seeing the Brunell bashing posts like he is the reason we are not playing well. Well I think that is wrong. Our problem right now is the horrible play of our defense so far this year. The last two years they have carried the team on there backs and have been wonderfull, and now they cant stop the run or the pass.

I am not a big fan of Brunell, and would LOVE to see JC take over right away, but I also do not think that his play is costing us games like the play of the defense.

I feel like we are giving up non-stop big plays, but then to make it even worse we seem to be allowing long drives with constant 3rd down conversions as well.

I think there is a reason for this and that it can be changed over this break...........We need to BLITZ ALL THE TIME.

The reason the D has been great the last two years is because GW has incredible blitzes that have put constant pressure on the QB. Right now GW is afraid to blitz because he thinks our secondary sucks. Well guess what Gregg, the secondary sucks alot more when the QB has all the time in the world to pass. I honestly think that over the last two years our defense would look just as bad as we do now if we werent blitzing. I know there have been injuries, and I know there are player changes that arent working out, but I still think we would be playing alot better if we blitzed much more often.

I really think that if GW can wake up and start doing what he has been doing his whole career then we can turn this thing around. Brunell is old, and Brunell might not be able to take us where we want, but the best QB of all time could not do it either with this team when the D is playing the way they are right now.

My 2 cents

HTTR!!

with MAnning ,Mcnabb,Hasselbeck,Palmer,ect

we would be dominating the nfc east right now

The problem with the offense has been consistency. Look at things by a game-by-game basis and not just overall stats, because good outings can inflate numbers

Minnesota - offense mediocre - had a chance to win the game in the fourth, couldn't come through

Dallas - offense non-existent

Houston - Offense spectacular

Jacksonville - Offense spectacular

New York - offfense non-existent

Tennessee - offense mediocre, had 3 chances to win the game in the 4th and blew all of them

Indianapolis - offense mediocre, picked up a garbage TD at the end but could not keep Manning off the field

So I would say 2 games the offense was great, 3 they were mediocre, and 2 games the offense was non-existent.. I suppose ST play has been a factor in two of the losses (Obviously the Minny lost, and if Novak makes both those kicks in Indy the Redskins would have been only down by 8 which becomes winnable if they didn't use all that time up on the last drive), but the offense just isn't consistent enough.

I believe tha the defense should play well enough to give teh offense a chance to win the game. Of the games the Skisn lost, I would say they did well enough so that the Vikings, Giants, and Tennessee (I know they gave up 23, still it was a winnable game but the offense never came through) all should have been wins. So thats 3 losses right there you can pin on the offense; if they did their job the skins would be 5-2 now. The defense also gets taxed when there are two many 3 and outs in a series, and they get worn down. The offense needs to keep the other team off the field, especially late in the game, and they haven't been doing that.

Lighting up Jax at home is not a big deal in the NFL (see last week). Many teams have done it, at least to the point of maintaining comfortable leads. They are your typical soft on the road Florida team.

Many teams have also lit up Houston, ranked 31st on defense in the NFL. My impression is that a lot more money has been paid to the O then the D, so the O should be carrying the team, especially since none of the starters are rookies now and the OL has been together for over a year. It's inexcusable.

There is a huge talent gap between the offense and defense, which points to a front office that needs a GM and not a Madden game addict who picks up the latest star.

Archived