Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is our strategy/tactics in Iraq?

alexey

Stop the insurgency and support the government. Build Iraq's infrastructure (military and civilian). I think that's what the strategy is aimed at. The actual tactics and strategy are divided in two and both are suffering because or it. The political tactics are hamstringing the military tactics and visa versa. The political is causing far more difficulty to our military though.

This question is a pretty tall order. There are several books on the subject. I've read "Cobra II" by General Trainor and Michael Gordon and I think it is a good starting point. It goes somewhat into detail for the planning stages and initial operations. Colin Powell also has a book, Tommy Franks has a book, Bob Woodward has a book "State of Denial," Hans Blix has a book, "Disarming Iraq," if you are curious about the WMD inspectors that Bush kicked out of Iraq only to go there and find nothing. There are many points of view on the subject. Go to Barnes and Nobles, go into the history and politics section, sample a few books until you find what you are looking for.

This question is a pretty tall order. There are several books on the subject. I've read "Cobra II" by General Trainor and Michael Gordon and I think it is a good starting point. It goes somewhat into detail for the planning stages and initial operations. Colin Powell also has a book, Tommy Franks has a book, Bob Woodward has a book "State of Denial," Hans Blix has a book, "Disarming Iraq," if you are curious about the WMD inspectors that Bush kicked out of Iraq only to go there and find nothing. There are many points of view on the subject. Go to Barnes and Nobles, go into the history and politics section, sample a few books until you find what you are looking for.

Thanks, but I was hoping there would be something online...

I am mainly interested in our rebuilding strategy, i.e. what philosophy we are using when allocating resources, how do we decide what will be built and how, what steps do we take to involve locals, etc.

Another topic I was hoping to find more information on is training of the Iraqi security forces, especially on how (and whether) we are using geo-political factors. What are ethnic makeups of those training camps? Where do these camps located? Do people end up training in and policing their own communities? Things like that.

It seems there is a complete lack of middle-tier information when it comes to Iraq. On one hand there is the basic "stay the course, have to win" stuff for the general public, on the other there are books about what we already did, etc.

Archived