Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why don't we run Mike Sellars more?

chaught76

Sellars has been very effective when he runs the ball. By the time the defense realizes we actually gave him the ball, he is already 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. I have no problem Ladell getting a couple of touches, but giving Sellars 6 to 9 touches a game will help keep the focus off of Portis everytime we run.

Sellers?....why don't we run Clinton Portis more?

Running Sellers would be a change of pace against defenses, a guy 6'3 280lbs is very hard to bring down. Thats probably why every time he touches the ball he gets atleast 4-5 yards per. But i do agree we should run Portis more, at least 25 + per game for the remainder of the season.

* BTW, i think my sig is prophetic :silly:

The combination of a speed back like CP and a power fullback like Sellers would keep defenses guessing and probably be very effective. It also would keep one back from being worn down. Tampa Bay did that very effectively several years back with Warrick Dunn and Mike Alstot. Who knows why we don't do alot of things we don't do?

No arguement here Bubba. :cheers:

I'm just saying Sellars should get some carries to keep the D-Line and LBs honest.

Our coaches need to stop letting betts and portis run on short yardage plays. I dont get it. We have a 280 LB rock back there, and yet, we hand it off to someone small? Sellars NEEDS to get the ball in those type of situations.

The combination of a speed back like CP and a power fullback like Sellers would keep defenses guessing and probably be very effective. It also would keep one back from being worn down. Tampa Bay did that very effectively several years back with Warrick Dunn and Mike Alstot. Who knows why we don't do alot of things we don't do?

Seatle is another I think of. Everytime Mack Strong gets the ball, teams aren't ready for it. If you really wanted to step back, look at KC in the early 90's with Barry Word and Christian Okoye. How about San Fransico's Roger Craig and Tom Rathman or Cincinnati's James Brooks and Ickey Woods? Wouldn't be great to have tandem pair of RB remembered?

Running Sellers would be a change of pace against defenses, a guy 6'3 280lbs is very hard to bring down. Thats probably why every time he touches the ball he gets atleast 4-5 yards per. But i do agree we should run Portis more, at least 25 + per game for the remainder of the season.

* BTW, i think my sig is prophetic :silly:

Sellers ins't a RB, he's a blocker, he may get 3/4 yards when a smaller back couldn't, and he could fumble more since he normally handle the ball, and can't break a simple play into 20+ possible TD run either..... once in awhile is fine

Sellers ins't a RB, he's a blocker, he may get 3/4 yards when a smaller back couldn't, and he could fumble more since he normally handle the ball, and can't break a simple play into 20+ possible TD run either..... once in awhile is fine

Agreed, anything is possible.

Another question though, wasn't Saunders flirting with the idea of letting Cooley get a touch here and there as well. I don't believe we have seen that either.

Regardless, we need to start setting the tone early in our games by pounding the ball more with the running game; whoever is doing it.

Naw, i wasn't saying that he should carry it 8 or 9 times a game. But it would be nice to see him pound it in some short yardage situations to give CP a rest. LB is good but he tends to run a bit up right in short yardage, ( I don't know why that is ).

Sellars has been very effective when he runs the ball. By the time the defense realizes we actually gave him the ball, he is already 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. I have no problem Ladell getting a couple of touches, but giving Sellars 6 to 9 touches a game will help keep the focus off of Portis everytime we run.

He's run the ball five times in his career for 18 yards. 8 of those yards were on one run.

From this sample, how did you decide that he was "very effective?"

carry, pass, whatever. I think he should be a weapon in the endzone like he was last year. It was such an easy, dink and dunk to Sellers for TD 8 times last season, I dont know why we havent seen it yet. Cooley was also much more important in the redzone last season. Its kinda odd.

He's run the ball five times in his career for 18 yards. 8 of those yards were on one run.

From this sample' date=' how did you decide that he was "very effective?"[/quote']

We didn't use him like this until the Titans game, in which he ran the ball 3 times for 15 yards. That's a 5 yard/carry average which for a FB is "very effective".

Stophovr6, thank you for the spelling correction.

I would suggest using the All-Pro running back' date=' and not the guy with five carries in nine years.?"

But I'm kind of crazy that way.?"[/quote']

And to your last point, I would prefer to run Portis like crazy as well, but I'll take anyone running the ball consistently well at this point; just the Saunders to call the smashmouth plays, which there-in lies the problem. Gibbs was the smashmouth running style we loved, Saunders isn't.

Archived