Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who wanted Jason Campbell?

indyskins

I think Campbell had a prayer meeting with gibbs when they went to Auburn to scout Rogers... Seriously though: From Washington post on draft day...

"Gibbs and offensive assistants Don Breaux, Jack Burns and Bill Musgrave, all of whom have extensive experience playing and/or coaching quarterbacks, began to pursue Campbell after watching his game film and felt they could not let him get away.

"In that case you take the best player there irregardless of the fact we feel like we have a good quarterback situation," Gibbs said. "We felt like his value was something we couldn't pass up."

Campbell's size (6-4, 223 pounds), accuracy, quickness, ability outside the pocket, elusiveness and arm strength -- "He can actually throw a fadeaway," Gibbs said. "He doesn't have to be stepping forward." -- caught their attention. Campbell was slow to develop at Auburn, where he played under four offensive coordinators in four years, and struggled until this past season, when he played in a system very similar to what Washington plans to run.

"[Gibbs] showed me his offense on the board and I was really surprised by the similarities they had with Auburn's offense we ran this year," Campbell said in a conference call. "The only difference at Auburn is we use words and they use a number system, and a number system is a lot easier for a quarterback."

Two NFL personnel executives contacted before the draft believed Campbell was at least two years away from being ready to play; both he and Gibbs declined to estimate a timetable yesterday. Gibbs spoke to Ramsey about the potential pick, reiterating to Ramsey that he is the starter and "the guy we're counting on taking us to the playoffs."

Gibbs said Campbell's selection should not impede Ramsey's development

"

I think Campbell had a prayer meeting with gibbs when they went to Auburn to scout Rogers... Seriously though: From Washington post on draft day...

"Gibbs and offensive assistants Don Breaux, Jack Burns and Bill Musgrave, all of whom have extensive experience playing and/or coaching quarterbacks, began to pursue Campbell after watching his game film and felt they could not let him get away.

"In that case you take the best player there irregardless of the fact we feel like we have a good quarterback situation," Gibbs said. "We felt like his value was something we couldn't pass up."

Campbell's size (6-4, 223 pounds), accuracy, quickness, ability outside the pocket, elusiveness and arm strength -- "He can actually throw a fadeaway," Gibbs said. "He doesn't have to be stepping forward." -- caught their attention. Campbell was slow to develop at Auburn, where he played under four offensive coordinators in four years, and struggled until this past season, when he played in a system very similar to what Washington plans to run.

"[Gibbs] showed me his offense on the board and I was really surprised by the similarities they had with Auburn's offense we ran this year," Campbell said in a conference call. "The only difference at Auburn is we use words and they use a number system, and a number system is a lot easier for a quarterback."

Two NFL personnel executives contacted before the draft believed Campbell was at least two years away from being ready to play; both he and Gibbs declined to estimate a timetable yesterday. Gibbs spoke to Ramsey about the potential pick, reiterating to Ramsey that he is the starter and "the guy we're counting on taking us to the playoffs."

Gibbs said Campbell's selection should not impede Ramsey's development

"

Thanks for that info - very interesting. And also disturbing that the Redskins ran the same offense as a college team.

Once again, the dreaded vote of confidence from coach to qb is the kiss of death.

I am not saying Campbell will be a bust or future HOF'er, but I am a little worried that it doesn't even seem like Gibbs is even thinking about playing him anytime soon. Maybe he is behind closed doors, but it doesn't seem that way. Maybe he is a little too young and needs more seasoning, but it would be nice to have a more mobile qb back there with a livelier arm.

How can you make that statement when he hasnt touched the field??? The guy could be as good as anyone in the league, then is he worth what we gave up? We wont know until he plays.

I should have elaborated. I dont follow college ball so I wont pretend to know. But if I remember JC had 2 pretty good backs to hand off to which makes me wonder if he is just a game manager or a playmaker. I hope im wromg but this smells alot like another qb that had no business being taken in the 1st round named Ramsey.

It shouldnt worry you. Hes a young QB, and I think every single coordinator in the league would agree its a LUXURY to allow your QB of the future time on the bench to learn the game before throwing them to the wolves.

Yes, but from a salary cap standpoint, it's a disaster to have his rookie deal expire and still not know what you have.

Archived