Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Smith is Done: Please Remove His Carcass After Game 16

bulldog

yes, we have no backups and actually need this bag of bones for the rest of the season, as sick as that may seem.

but realize for a moment that Smith does one thing, he rushes the passer. and in 6 games he has ONE sack. that's it.

this past week he faced the ultimate gimmee matchup. A former CENTER moving outside to tackle to try and handle protection on the edge.

Mike Flanagan. An average player even at his original spot at center.

the sort of matchup Andre Carter had against a hurt and limited Chris Samuels in San Francisco. Like the one Grady Jackson had against Wilbert Brown at FedEx.

But did that paper advantage turn into an ACTUAL advantage?

Well, you can judge by the record. Smith got ZERO.

Oh, he got caught going wide a couple of times so Ahman Green could cut inside that hole and get yardage.

And in true fashion his ability to apply any pressure at all faded by quarter like a vampire awaiting the approaching dawn light :laugh:

Joe Jacoby was right 3 weeks ago when he said he felt sorry for Lewis because he was left playing with 10 guys on defense, with one big doughnut hole at RDE.

Take it from the former all-pro tackle, don't take it from me.

Put a fork in Smith, he's MORE than done.

Smith has actually had a couple of pretty nice games, but the Packers game was a disappointment. I don't know that he can bring the same energy he did against the Saints to every game. Unfortunately, Jackson decided to play like a first year guy and had to get benched for a while. I also wouldn't mind seeing Powell in there more on running situations. Smith can be effective when he's right and there's no doubt that he was a real factor against the Saints, despite not getting a sack, but, he was very bad against the Packers and we have to find a way to make his appearances in there positive, rather than negative.

Originally posted by Art

Smith has actually had a couple of pretty nice games, but the Packers game was a disappointment. I don't know that he can bring the same energy he did against the Saints to every game.

Art,

If he can't bring energy to every game, then get off the field. He's a professional making big $$$$$. You're probably referring to his age and ability, but enough is enough with this guy. One mediocre game out of six doesn't cut it for me.

The sad thing is, how bad are Powell and Leverette if they can't crack the lineup over this dinosaur??

What I hate is he always goes high for the passer, opening up the lane beneath him for a nice cutback by the runner. Any average NFL lineman can ride him up and out of the play. He has no bull rush or inside move anymore.

How long has it been since we had a DE that had to be double-teamed on passing downs?

*sigh* I'll add it to the list. :doh:

Ljer,

First, it wasn't one mediocre game. It was one astoundingly fine game and another pretty good one. Second, you're not telling me anything I don't know or agree with. But, then we must ask ourselves why would Marvin Lewis play with a guy who's not doing his job? Remember, we are screaming at Spurrier for daring to sit a guy who doesn't run his routes or for moving Ramsey back to the bench, and yet we want Lewis to make simple defensive personnel changes with Shade or Terrell and Smith at the very least.

Now, my guess is that Smith is not being benched for reasons we can't understand. Either he's the best player we have, even when he can't bring his energy, or, Lewis is a traditional coach who refuses to make adjustments with his veteran players. Take your pick. You won't find me in disagreement with getting Smith a little less time.

<<First, it wasn't one mediocre game. It was one astoundingly fine game and another pretty good one. >> Art

You must be easily astounded. Bruce Smith had 3 tackles, 2 assists, no sacks, and 1 pass defended against the Saints. I realize that not everything he does shows up on the stats sheet, but this hardly qualifies as astounding.

Astounding is when you make game-changing plays. Astounding is when you sack the QB, strip the ball, and run it in for a TD. Astounding is NOT just showing up and finally doing your job.

Against GB, Smith got 3 tackles, no assists, no sacks, no passes defended. Maybe that's "pretty good" by your measure, but Bruce was going against a converted center starting at left tackle. "Pretty good" would have been multiple sacks, hurries, pressures, and knockdowns. The only time Favre got his jersey dirty was when Lavar got to him. Pederson stayed upright, too.

I'm still waiting for Bruce to astound me.

Smith was in the backfield all day against the Saints, allowing Arrington to get sacks due to his very good pressure. He totally shut the running game down on his side of the field, which is abnormal for him right now. Deuce got the bulk of his yards running wide to the other side. Smith made plays that changed the game. Unfortunately he wasn't also playing special teams.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm no huge Smith fan. But, against the Saints, he played as fine a game against the run and the pass as you'll see out of a defensive end. It's just a shame he can't do that every game.

Archived