Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Scout Chuck Knox NFC East Chat Wrap

Fifty Gut

Bri (NYC): Has the Giants Def. finally gotten their heads out, or was yesterday jsut a lucky day?

sn2.gifChuck Knox, Jr.: (12:16 PM ET ) Bri, the Giants defense caught the Redskins at the right time. The bye week helped the Giants slim down the game plan and allow the players to play fast, and the Skins just didn't show up on offense. New York needs to be solid on defense against the Falcons this week and find a way to continue to shut down the run against Vick and Dunn, I wouldn't jump on that defensive bandwagon just yet.

Asef (Briarcliff, NY): Have the Giants proved themselves to be contenders in the NFC East? Which team will win the division?

sn2.gifChuck Knox, Jr.: (12:17 PM ET ) I would say not yet. They caught the Redskins in a down week and were fresh off a bye. They have to put together two good games before I get on the table and talk abotu them. If they have division title and Super Bowl aspirations they have to start beating good teams in the regular season first.

Greg (Faifax, VA): Redskins secondary looks dreadful. What can they do? Find FA replacements?

sn2.gifChuck Knox, Jr.: (12:20 PM ET ) At this stage of the year with most teams gobbling up the best guys on the market, I don't know if there's anyone out there better than the guys they have. Springs would make an immediate impact, because when he gets back they'll have one good CB and the safeties can be pushed over to help the other corner out. They have one safety who is a run-support guy who's not good in coverage and one who is too aggressive at times, so that has to improve as well.

Mad Mo Balla (Denver): In your opinion would what would you say is the biggest problem the redskins have. I would say its the poor play of Brunell but a lot of my friends disagree

sn2.gifChuck Knox, Jr.: (12:23 PM ET ) A combination of Brunell's play and the performance of the rest of the offense has been the problem. The line did not play well and did not open running lanes or protect well. Brunell did not look good and was unable to get the ball down the field. They were flat against the Giants and that goes back to Brunell as the leader. They also had trouble sustaining drives with third down conversions and the playcalling was a bit suspect at times.

Terry (DC): Do you see da Skins O getting it back together vs Titans

sn2.gifChuck Knox, Jr.: (12:32 PM ET ) Terry, I hope they can get their act together. They need to go back to what helped them win two straight earlier this season: fire and intensity, let the receviers run after the catch, move the chains, get more room in the running game. They looked out of sync and didn't seem to have a lot of enthusiasm or passion against the Giants. They seemed to think the Giants would roll over and it didn't happen.

link

agree, it is not coaching it is the players. I'd like to see Rogers actually celebrate after making a play instead of when a player drops a ball who had just beaten him by 5 steps.

The players believed they were that good and that the Giants were about to implode - instead of just playing smashmouth football that got them two wins in a row prior to this past weekend.

Guest sith lord
nah, that's not what he means

he's saying the Skins went in there, high on themselves, expecting an easy win

acting more ****y than confident icon13.gif

Well, that has a lot to do with coaching.

Well, that has a lot to do with coaching.

naw man, at some point the players have to be held accountable. I had a bad feeling about this game when Portis dressed up. People may say it doesn't matter, but you know what, it does. It reflects a certain attitude about where the team is. When a team is really focused they don't do much playing around nor do they talk as much, they are just about business. We all know that, look at how the team conducted itself that week right before Houston and before the Jags game?

nah, that's not what he means

he's saying the Skins went in there, high on themselves, expecting an easy win

acting more ****y than confident icon13.gif

I don't think they were ****y at all to be honest with you. I just think, despite what you hear in interviews, that most of them are intimidated in hostile environments. I mean, look at how we played in Dallas(even w/o Portis), then how we've ALWAYS played at the Meadowlands. We played well against Denver and KC last year but still came up short.

I think they need to get pumped up more before a game and just learn to block out the crowd and the feeling that everyone is against them.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

agree, it is not coaching it is the players. I'd like to see Rogers actually celebrate after making a play instead of when a player drops a ball who had just beaten him by 5 steps.

The players believed they were that good and that the Giants were about to implode - instead of just playing smashmouth football that got them two wins in a row prior to this past weekend.

I'd like to see Rogers to not celebrate at all until we win. This guy needs to stop celelbrating and start learning how to catch a damn ball. :doh:

:doh: hardly

we were outplayed

the Giants controled both lines of scrimmage yesterday, that was the biggest difference from last week

I keep telling people that in here in all my posts Bubba. If the Skins run the ball, control the Time of Possesion they win. If they don't, they lose.

NYG- 34 minutes

Was- 25 Minutes

Rushing Yds

NYG- 155

Was- 78

There you have it. The reason we lose games.

The coaching staff needs to do something about the slow start in offense. It always seems like we sputter out the gate. That's fine, if you can keep the other guy down in time for the offense to get on track.

Unfortunately, we wait too long to open things up, and by the time we do, it is too late. This isn't an offense that can come from behind all that often.

I also agree with Bubba that both of their lines kicked our ass. Our O-line and D-line should be embarrised by their play.

Also, what is the deal with Griffin? He's been pretty silent this year...

Jason

They looked out of sync and didn't seem to have a lot of enthusiasm or passion against the Giants.

Now that's VERY troubling to me. They're a division rival and you're not up for the game? How can you not be ready for Giants? That's inexcusable!

Archived