Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To those unsatisfied Souls

Diehard Otis

I have closely followed the Washington Redskins for quite some time now(as have many of You), & watched waaaay too much Pro Football for my own good. Please allow me to share a few personal thoughts with you:

*It is truly amazing to read the complaining, whining, and venomous tirades following a 16 point ROAD WIN!! Some weeks, regardless of the opponent, simply thank your blessings for the W. They do add up.

*If you are feeling a bit distraught over Washington's 1-2 record, just think for a moment how the partisans in New York & Tampa Bay are feeling tonight for their teams.

*Remember that Joe Gibbs coached teams typicly start slow to begin a season, & fast to end it. This is WEEK 3(now a .333 winning percentage in WEEK 10 is definitely trouble). Relax, its early.

*Yes, the team doesn't look particularly crisp at this point of the season. However, well-coached teams improve the as the season progresses.

*That said, the offense gave us a beautiful snapshot today. This result can serve as a positive foundation to build upon.

*Also bear in mind that Coach Gibbs has an unquestioned pedigree for success in the NFL--given his record, with the talent at his disposal, are you really that worried? (or have you been listening to those johnny-come-lately, fickle, front-running NFL analysts again? How many times have they gotten it wrong?)

Keep your heads up, my fellow die-hards! There is joy in Mudville this week. :)

Yes i am because i have the utmost confidence in the coaching staff but i do not have confidence in Brunell to run our offense the way it needs to be run. If he can give a performance half as good against the jags as he gave against the texans then i will follow him all season but until he shows that he can play well against a good team than i will be worried.

whether or not you have confidence in Brunell you still should have confidence in Gibbs. The coach has always wanted natural leaders under center with brains to boot. Brunell ain't mobile anymore and can't quite get it downfild but he's probably the smartest QB we have and definitly carries the most leadership.

I also see such a contradiction when it comes to ST. He can whiff on players trying to make the big hit instead of wrapping up the runner or commit major penalties but he gets a pass from MANY people here while if Brunell dumps it off to a back 5 yards away people call for his head. Not asking to be flamed here folks but I'm just calling it as I see it and I have seen ST get 1,000 free passes on this board over the last three years.

I remember the thread a week or so ago calling out Saunders and Gibbs saying that if you expect to win you can't "dink and dunk", you gotta go downfield...at the time I said that the Skins "dinked and dunked" their way to a 35-7 win over the Cowboys last season and "dinked and dunked" their way into the red zone four times against the Vikings, basically meaning that a more controlled passing scheme can work rather well if executed properly. Well, the Skins "dinked and dunked" their way to 31 points today, as well as an NFL-record 22 straight completions and almost 500 yards of offense.

The long ball is still needed, definitely, and I'm still on the fence as to whether or not Brunell can deliver it with any consistency this season...if he can't then Campbell needs to be seriously considered because the Skins MUST have someone behind center who can...but I'm not about to dismiss today's offensive performance as irrelevant or easy to accomplish.

I think the "dink and dunk" that we see is a back to basics approach to build some confidence in our offense. Brad Johnson made a living out of low risk short plays. He beat us recently while Brunell rolled and pulled and threw all over the place, not to much effect. Its like beating yourself. The "dink and dunk" gets us first downs and keeps the D on the bench longer than 3 plays and out.

Im happy with this weeks play... even if it is against the worst NFL D. Knowing us, we would have lost a game like this just by being too ****y!

Great Post!! I am excited on the win, and seeing how they played, it was a team effort and everybody was on the same page. I really think with Portis back will make us a good team into a great team. Also Brunell was great and stepped it up period...There is nothing to say other wise. Yea its only the Texans they suck!! well that might be true, but if the team flows like this for the rest of the season I don't care what team it is....We will crush them.

I watched a lot of teams yesterday and really I think a lot of teams are not where they should be. Colts yea there are 3-0, but they have no running game, 48 yards rushing yesterday. They are not same team as last year, they are one sided. I really think they just starting off better. We just started slow and lost some key players early. I rather lose some stars early for a few games than later when we really need them.

Enjoy the win!! it was great regardless!!

Archived